Is this why 3G's been having problems?

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Roughly Drafted is claiming a source close to AT&T has spilled the beans on what’s really going on with the iPhone and its 3G connection problems, and what 2.0.2 did to fix it.
In a nutshell? An iPhone 3G running 2.0 or 2.0.1 tries to pull too much power from the network, so when multiple iPhones connect, a tower can actually run out of juice and start dropping calls and losing data.
Why hasn’t upgrading to 2.0.2 already fixed the problem? Simple: some people haven’t yet upgraded, so their 2.0 and 2.0.1 iPhones keep pulling too much power, causing the same problem even for people who have upgraded but are stuck on the same tower (or same high-density city like San Fran or NY). Only when most users have patched to 2.0.2 will people stuck on high-demand towers see improvements.
Earlier reports and theories have lain blame on everything from the 3G radio and antenna, to the Infineon chipset and Apple firmware, to the carriers themselves. We here at TiPb have long been saying the problems were likely a combination of factors, and firmware that pulls too hard on networks that aren’t that hardy seems a far better explanation than any one previously offered. It also goes a long way to explaining why Bluetest didn’t find any hardware issues, and why both Apple (via their website) and AT&T (via SMS) have really stepped up the push for this update.
So, do we finally have our answer, or is this just the next “shot in the dark”? Are you still having 3G problems? Is your neighbor still on 2.0 or 2.0.1? Tell them to upgrade now and then let us know if it helps!
this is from here

If this is true, then everyone needs to update to 2.0.2 or nothing will be fixed

jonsdad

Aug 28, 2008
this is from here

If this is true, then everyone needs to update to 2.0.2 or nothing will be fixed
If this is the problem, wouldn’t the other 3G phones also have the same problem since they will also be “starved” out of the 3G signal.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
If this is the problem, wouldn’t the other 3G phones also have the same problem since they will also be “starved” out of the 3G signal.
It depends how many people are on one tower and if there is or isn't tower overlap.

The article seems to explain why some people are having problems and why others (like me) are not.

mcaram16

Silver
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY
It depends how many people are on one tower and if there is or isn't tower overlap.

The article seems to explain why some people are having problems and why others (like me) are not.

I kinda don't believe that at all....i'm sitting in a room right now with 2 other people who have 3g iPhones. all 3 of us are upgraded to 2.0.2...the 2 of them are on 3g with no problems....whenever i'm connected to 3g..nothing happens...i have to switch to edge to be able to do anything data wise....i'm almost 100 sure that we would all be hitting the same tower considering we are sitting 2 feet from each other! I really think this is more of a hardware/software combo issue with these phones...i got mine on day 1...they got there's 2 weeks ago! something's is different between the first released phones and the one's released a few weeks later!

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I kinda don't believe that at all....i'm sitting in a room right now with 2 other people who have 3g iPhones. all 3 of us are upgraded to 2.0.2...the 2 of them are on 3g with no problems....whenever i'm connected to 3g..nothing happens...i have to switch to edge to be able to do anything data wise....i'm almost 100 sure that we would all be hitting the same tower considering we are sitting 2 feet from each other! I really think this is more of a hardware/software combo issue with these phones...i got mine on day 1...they got there's 2 weeks ago! something's is different between the first released phones and the one's released a few weeks later!
Okay... there's not a one all-encompassing reason for the problems. Like you said, it's also specific hardware that's also a factor.

I got mine on Day 1 too. Mine is white, by the way. And I haven't had the problems that many people are experiencing (lag, dropped calls, slow speed, no 3G, dropoffs to EDGE).

mcaram16

Silver
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY
Okay... there's not a one all-encompassing reason for the problems. Like you said, it's also specific hardware that's also a factor.

I got mine on Day 1 too. Mine is white, by the way. And I haven't had the problems that many people are experiencing (lag, dropped calls, slow speed, no 3G, dropoffs to EDGE).

Well then maybe we are narrowing it down here...i got the 8 gig one on day 1...maybe the issue is with those only because i experience everything you've stated above....

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Well then maybe we are narrowing it down here...i got the 8 gig one on day 1...maybe the issue is with those only because i experience everything you've stated above....
No...I got the 8 gig on day one. I experience, some text lag, but not much. I rarely drop calls, and my speed on edge is just fine. In fact, the edge speed is faster than i thought it would be. I don't live in a 3G area, but when I have been in a 3G area, I have had zero problems with it.

mcaram16

Silver
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY
No...I got the 8 gig on day one. I experience, some text lag, but not much. I rarely drop calls, and my speed on edge is just fine. In fact, the edge speed is faster than i thought it would be. I don't live in a 3G area, but when I have been in a 3G area, I have had zero problems with it.
Ok well scratch that then....all i know is that at this very second...my email has been "connecting" for 2 hours and 30 min....and i just turned off 3g and rebooted and it checked my email with no problem! maybe its location based i don't know...if i did, i'd be working for Apple or att!

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Ok well scratch that then....all i know is that at this very second...my email has been "connecting" for 2 hours and 30 min....and i just turned off 3g and rebooted and it checked my email with no problem! maybe its location based i don't know...if i did, i'd be working for Apple or att!
I really think it's AT&T. I don't think they're fessing up, but I think it's them. If you look at the disclaimer on their website for their coverage map it says "AT&T does not guarantee coverage." That to me says they know about these problems and posted that disclaimer to cover their butts.

mcaram16

Silver
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY
I really think it's AT&T. I don't think they're fessing up, but I think it's them. If you look at the disclaimer on their website for their coverage map it says "AT&T does not guarantee coverage." That to me says they know about these problems and posted that disclaimer to cover their butts.
i want to know why i'm dropping so many more calls now!? What does 3g/edge have to do with your voice plans?

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
i want to know why i'm dropping so many more calls now!? What does 3g/edge have to do with your voice plans?
Well, being on a 3G network is supposed to give you clearer calls, so obviously it has something to do with voice plans. Not sure how it works exactly though.

Kentucky

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
The iPhones can't ' pull too much power from the net works'.. The problem is there atre too many phones on a given tower and ATT won't add towers and can't thus increrase bandwidth . The iPhones are using the power they are supposed to . If 2.02 is supposed to "keep them from pulling too much power", then it could only do that by decreasing the receive sensitivity of the the iPhone and also decrease the transmit output power. This then creates dropped calls , 'no bars', and slow data speeds. In other words, the real problem is NOT the iPhone per se, but ATT OVERLOAD-OVERSELL without a willingness to add more towers or bandwidth on the towers they have ...PERIOD

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Well, it's strange that two other friends in the same room experience no problems with 3G.

I'm thinking it's a hardware/software problem that's specific to mcaram's iPhone. Of course, a certain amount of product is defective and with the amount of iPhones being sold, a LOT has gotten out.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
The theory actually makes some sense.

Here in MIA I get 5 bars almost everywhere. One if the few places I don't is a specific area at work that is surrounded by a lot of steel walls and electronics mixed together. In this spot I got about 1-2 bars on 3G since I got the phone. After 2.0.2 I did notice it switching over to EDGE pretty quickly in the same spot.

Just something I did notice since updating that seems to back what the theory says.

nbdiver

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
I can report slightly better 3G capability after updating to 2.0.2. I still don't think its great service but better than it was before.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Are you all forgetting that the problems with the iPhone 3G are not limited to the United States? This article does not explain why the iPhone has such bad connectivity when other phones with 3G connect and have always connected well, domestically and internationally.

Until this issue is explained when taking into account the iPhone 3G's behavior worldwide, they will all fall short of correctly identifying the issue.

jgibo1

Aug 20, 2008
I know how bad network congestion can get so there is probably a lot of truth to this. Don't the Blackberry devices all run on Edge? And now that there are all these new iPhones trying to establish and maintain connections to their email on 3G things are getting a little crowded.
Since they installed repeaters in our office building I have had no 3g issues at all. :)

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I use an AT&T Tilt for work and it has terrible 3G signal also. Maybe not as bad as my iPhone, but not perfect. I also have an old 8125 (non 3G) and it receives a far stronger signal on EDGE, than the Tilt does on 3G.

Are there like two separate systems on the cell towers? One deals with EDGE and the other with 3G?

Just a thought?

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
I never did that great with electromagnetism in physics, but nonetheless I'm pretty sure that receivers do not 'pull' power from a transmitter like vacuum cleaners.

If I was to reinterpret and twist this a little in an attempt to find some sense I might think that they are saying that individual phones use too much bandwidth. Which can also be interpreted as meaning that ATT is not providing enough bandwidth. Which is another way of saying that their network sucks. Now we're getting somewhere...