Is this worth the move?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KabaModern, Nov 29, 2009.

1. KabaModern

KabaModern Zealot
    Gold

OK, I'm considering just buckling my belt and moving to a 3G. The reason I've been seriously considering it lately is because I get so involved with jailbreaking and the lag is OK to deal with but having a 3G would be wonderful, from what I've heard.

I can get a 16gb White 3G from AT&T for $399 or a 32gb for $499. I fear, however, they will require a tethered jailbreak as I'm assuming most "older" stocks are depleted. So, a couple of questions:

1. Is it worth waiting until geohot (or the Dev Team) get a non-tethered jailbreak for the newer OOTB 3G?

2. Is that price reasonable? If I do so, I'll be renewing for another 2 years.

3. Can you point me to anyone selling a reasonable-priced, 3G that does not require a tethered jailbreak? I'm looking the Marketplace and PM'd terrapin regarding his. I've checked eBay but holy crap those are going for way more than I'd like to spend...

Thanks guys :)

2. Krunk83

Krunk83 Zealot
    Gold

Kaba,

Just go to the AT&T store and ask them to get one with the correct bootrom. They didn't care when I asked. Plus the 32 gigs don't sell as much so you'll probably get one with a 938.

3. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot
    Gold

Kaba,

You should just probably wait because there going to be releasing another new iPhone in June/July ....

4. Krunk83

Krunk83 Zealot
    Gold

That's in 7-8 months and there's no proof the new phone will be any faster.

5. rojocrandall

rojocrandall Member
    Bronze

That's a tough decision. I paid the $399 for my "S" a few months ago, but it's a 930.
    The speed increase was worth it, but I do not need to worry about the tethered jailbreak. If was in your exact position, I'd probably follow Krunk's advice are try for a 938 at my local AT&Ts. If that did not work, I'd wait...

6. Magicman4131

Magicman4131 Member
    Bronze

I got a 938 on October 1st.

7. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Kaba, if you want to jailbreak, then might as well go for it now, since there is a good chance it will be a while for the next gen to get jailbroken. Apple is getting smarter about their firmware, so it's possible (although not likely) that they have everything buttoned up tight this next go around.
    Or, do like a lot of us are doing and wait. Even stock, the next gen phone should still be a departure from what is out there now as far as performance. Rumors include 1GB ram, and a gig mobile processor, so you never know.

8. JoeT

JoeT Member
    Silver

I agree; go to AT&T. I, however, got my 32G 3GS for $299 (with yet another two years of AT&T). $399 sounds pricey, unless you're not eligible for the discount - but you could ask for it.

9. psylichon

psylichon Genius

No way would I pay for that right now, especially if your intent is jailbreaking. A tethered jailbreak sucks! I can't believe people subject themselves to that. Just my opinion.

Will the price go up? If not, I'd wait until the new bootrom dust settles.

10. Youngbinks

Youngbinks Zealot
    Gold

I agree with Dave. At this point it just doesn't seem like the benefits would be great enough to outweigh the cost. Sure the jailbreak will be faster but the tethered jailbreak would, I imagine, be a tremendous headache.

11. KabaModern

KabaModern Zealot
    Gold

The price I listed is what I get as a "discounted" price right now. My full upgrade date isn't until May 2010. Which they'll probably be releasing the next generation iPhone a month later, so I'm thinking I might wait. That is, unless I can find one third-party and avoid renewing my contract.

12. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Ok, Blackra1n is the only jailbreak that I am aware of that currently works. What jailbreak works for the latest firmware that can be done over air?

13. KabaModern

KabaModern Zealot
    Gold

I think you're misinterpreting what 'tethered jailbreak' means, Hawk. A tethered jailbreak is a term for the type of jailbreak that has to be done to the iPhone 3G that have the newer bootrom. Essentially, you jailbreak your iPhone 3G with blackra1n but if you ever need to reboot your iPhone for any reason (i.e., battery running low, or crashes, etc.) you need to connect your iPhone to a computer and use blackra1n to boot it back up. That's what it means to have a 'tethered jailbreak.'

:)

14. Ezekiel2517

Ezekiel2517 Member
    Bronze

I am also sorta interested in getting a 3gs for jailbreaking bit how could you tell if it has the correct bootrom?

15. KabaModern

KabaModern Zealot
    Gold

Take a look at the serial number on the iPhone 3G, specifically the 3rd, 4th and 5th number. If it's 939 or lower you can jailbreak without a tethered jailbreak. I have seen people with numbers higher than 939 that can jailbreak without a tethered jailbreak though, too. But the rule-of-thumb to be safe is 939 and lower, you're good.

16. KabaModern

KabaModern Zealot
    Gold

Terrapin said his is 944 and I'm trying to find out if he reboots if he needs to connect back up to blackra1n to boot it up. He made it sound like he didn't have to. I haven't heard back from him yet, though...