Is Time Machine the Mac Equivalent of System Restore?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bingo296, Sep 10, 2012.

1. bingo296

bingo296 Guest

Hi all,

So i'm a ridiculously prudent person, maybe too much so. I'm about to make a large number of changes, updates and installations to my brand new MBP, including installing Mountain Lion at some point. I was thinking it'd be good to have something like Window's System Restore so you can revert changes to the system if anything goes wrong usability-wise. I have read about time machine and it sounds much like System Restore except you need to allocate a lot of hard drive space. For my current purposes i'm only interested in system changes and modifications and i don't have much in terms of data. Is Time Machine good for this?

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Time Machine would be perfect for you. It's a great backup utility built straight into Mac OS X. The good bit about it is that it's automatic and allows you to revisit your Mac exactly the way it was at a specific point in time.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427

3. llrickman

llrickman Contributor
    Silver

I use a Airport extreme with a 1TB HD for a backup. It works so seamlessly you hardly even notice its there and as stated before you can restore your mac to a previous state

4. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

+1 for Time Machine!