Is Time Machine the Mac Equivalent of System Restore?

B

bingo296

Hi all,

So i'm a ridiculously prudent person, maybe too much so. I'm about to make a large number of changes, updates and installations to my brand new MBP, including installing Mountain Lion at some point. I was thinking it'd be good to have something like Window's System Restore so you can revert changes to the system if anything goes wrong usability-wise. I have read about time machine and it sounds much like System Restore except you need to allocate a lot of hard drive space. For my current purposes i'm only interested in system changes and modifications and i don't have much in terms of data. Is Time Machine good for this?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Time Machine would be perfect for you. It's a great backup utility built straight into Mac OS X. The good bit about it is that it's automatic and allows you to revisit your Mac exactly the way it was at a specific point in time.

Time Machine is the built-in backup that works with your Mac and an external drive (sold separately) or Time Capsule. Connect the drive, assign it to Time Machine, and start enjoying some peace of mind. Time Machine automatically backs up your entire Mac, including system files, applications, accounts, preferences, music, photos, movies, and documents. But what makes Time Machine different from other backup applications is that it not only keeps a spare copy of every file, it remembers how your system looked on any given day—so you can revisit your Mac as it appeared in the past.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
I use a Airport extreme with a 1TB HD for a backup. It works so seamlessly you hardly even notice its there and as stated before you can restore your mac to a previous state