Is WPA Personal possible?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Aug 10, 2007
The Wi-Fi I use at work is WPA Personal and I have to log in with both my user name and password. It works fine in Mac OS X and in Windows Vista on my Macbook Pro. I haven't found a way to do it on my iPhone. Any help is greatly appreciated. I haven't updated to 1.02 yet if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Aug 20, 2007
The Wi-Fi I use at work is WPA Personal and I have to log in with both my user name and password. It works fine in Mac OS X and in Windows Vista on my Macbook Pro. I haven't found a way to do it on my iPhone. Any help is greatly appreciated. I haven't updated to 1.02 yet if that makes a difference.

Thanks
I use WPA personal with my Airport Extreme at home, and it works great. When the iPhone tells you it has detected a network and you choose it, it will then ask you for your password. You should only have to do this once as the iPhone remembers networks you have joined in the past.

Aug 10, 2007
I use WPA personal with my Airport Extreme at home, and it works great. When the iPhone tells you it has detected a network and you choose it, it will then ask you for your password. You should only have to do this once as the iPhone remembers networks you have joined in the past.
It does ask me to join and asks me for a password but it doesn't ask for my username. If I enter my password it doesn't log on because it isn't asking for my user name. Didn't know if there were some advanced settings I could go into to set it up. I haven't found anything this far. My Macbook Pro connects at work no problem.

Aug 20, 2007
It does ask me to join and asks me for a password but it doesn't ask for my username. If I enter my password it doesn't log on because it isn't asking for my user name. Didn't know if there were some advanced settings I could go into to set it up. I haven't found anything this far. My Macbook Pro connects at work no problem.

There shouldn't be a user name. Just a password to access the network. You would have a user name to actually access the config page of your router itself, but not to log on to the network.

Aug 10, 2007
There shouldn't be a user name. Just a password to access the network. You would have a user name to actually access the config page of your router itself, but not to log on to the network.
Its not my router. It is my employer's router. I log on with my Macbook Pro using WPA Personal but it requires my work username and work password. Works fine on Macbook Pro. Doesn't even ask for the info on the iPhone.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I think you might be confusing the Network "domain" login with the wireless WPA network login. I am certain that you do not need a username to access your wireless network.
Now, that being said, there are locations that have a redirect through the web to login, but I don't believe that is the same in this instance.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
The computers at my workplace ask me for my employee ID and my password as well, but I've never tried accessing it with my iPhone - so I think what he's talking about does exist.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
The computers at my workplace ask me for my employee ID and my password as well, but I've never tried accessing it with my iPhone - so I think what he's talking about does exist.
again, that's standard networking. WiFi just needs a password or key- if it's secure.

Aug 10, 2007
again, that's standard networking. WiFi just needs a password or key- if it's secure.
This is not what I'm talking about. At home I have WPA and all I need is my network key. The same works on my iPhone. But when I go to work to log onto the wireless I click on the airport icon on my computer and it requires both my username for work and my password. It works fine on the macbook pro but it doesn't ask me for the username on the iPhone and as a result it will not connect.

My Macbook Pro has the security labeled WPA Personal when it connects. It is wireless and it definitely is different. I know how to type in a network key and thats definitely not it.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
This is not what I'm talking about. At home I have WPA and all I need is my network key. The same works on my iPhone. But when I go to work to log onto the wireless I click on the airport icon on my computer and it requires both my username for work and my password. It works fine on the macbook pro but it doesn't ask me for the username on the iPhone and as a result it will not connect.

My Macbook Pro has the security labeled WPA Personal when it connects. It is wireless and it definitely is different. I know how to type in a network key and thats definitely not it.
That doesn't like WPA Personal to me, it sounds like authenticated WPA Enterprise (no matter what the Macbook says).

AFAIK the iPhone won't work with WPA Enterprise. Not sure why Apple chose to leave this out--it's been around for some time. Hopefully it will get added.

--
Mike

Aug 10, 2007
Thats very possible. If I knew wi-fi at work wouldn't work I probably wouldn't have bought my iPhone. At the same time I love the phone and can live with Edge at work if I have to until something better comes along.