Is your iPad getting hot?

Discussion in 'iPad 3' started by chris, Mar 17, 2012.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I was playing back a few videos this morning. It couldn't have been more than 10 minutes of playback, but I noticed the iPad getting hot on the back. I've never had an issue with the iPad 2 getting hot, ever.

Anyone else notice this new iPad running a bit hotter?

2. |3are

|3are Member
    Silver

I haven't noticed yet but I also haven't done much long-term video-watching. I believe there were reviews posted a day or so before release saying that this iPad does get hotter. I think they blamed it on the larger-capacity battery. I'll try to find a link.

3. |3are

|3are Member
    Silver

4. Dallas Phil

Dallas Phil Member
    Bronze

Yes I have while watching Netflix.

5. Beemer

Beemer Member
    Bronze

Mine gets warm when charging but I wouldn't say it is getting hot.

6. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

Mine got hot today...about 60 minutes of use straight. Never had that happen on my iPad 1 or 2.

7. mbairguy

mbairguy Contributor
    Bronze

I received my new iPad early yesterday and haven't opened it yet....I know...

Tinman says "left is left" which means hotter area where the cpu/gpu is located. This entire length is loaded with heat sinks over heat pads; over thermal paste. Heat transfer should be uniform (relatively) over the surfaces of the sinks. The aluminum (back) cover looks neat but also dissipates heat well. I would expect "this" side to be warm.

I haven't really thought about processor core temps for the iPad. So far, I haven't found an App that provides internal core temp? The A5/5x must have/use cpu temp to provide auto-shutoff. I know cpu-z works with certain ARM processors.

Unfortunately, my thermal imaging device is with my salesman in Ms. or I would shoot temps on both the iPad2 and new. Hopefully, someone will provide better benchmarks than what I have seen thus far. (including core temps).

8. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

That is one thing I am always are amazed at, my iPad2 feels never hot. I pick it up sometimes and wonder why it is so cold?
    I do not like that heating at all on my laptop.

9. mbairguy

mbairguy Contributor
    Bronze

quad-gpu; retina display; batteries...probably all contribute to a warmer iPad.

10. jarofclay73

jarofclay73 Zealot
    Gold

My iPad 2 got hot when playing games like Real Racing 2. Just about every reviewer says the same about the new iPad. I guess as long as no one gets burned I suppose it shouldn't affect performance.

11. BoLoThaBeAR

BoLoThaBeAR Member
    Bronze

Mine works lik a Champ! No overheating here

Sent from 'the new iPad' using iCafe app... GO BEARS! ;)

12. Troubleina

Troubleina Member
    Bronze

yup, mine to seems to get warm to the touch, not hot, but it's definitely warmer than the ipad or ipad2 was. I haven't watched videos on mine yet, just web surfing, and playing games.

13. Krunk83

Krunk83 Zealot
    Gold

My iPad gets hot. Lower left side mostly. Usually about an hour after heavy use. Not too hot to touch but definitely noticeable.

14. GailLA

GailLA Contributor
    Bronze

Not really. I watched a 3 hour Netflix last night, an activity that I read would make it hot. It was warm, but not at all hot. And it is not that warm.

15. BoLoThaBeAR

BoLoThaBeAR Member
    Bronze

Ive watchd movies/been on my ipad 3hrs+ and my ipad has yet to get hot, at all :)

16. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Haven't noticed yet on my new iPad. I don't think my 1 got hot either, but it was always in a case. My wife has never complained about her iPad 2 getting hot.

17. tOSU

tOSU New Member

Same here, I have a back cover on it is well and no excessive heating at all.

18. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

nothing out of the norm, just a little bit warn which is typical for such a device.

19. eye-Fone

eye-Fone Zealot
    Gold

Why is this such a surprise? It's basically the same casing as previous iPads, but with a much higher resolution screen, a more advanced CPU and GPU, and a larger capacity battery. To push that many pixels, the GPU has to work that much harder than lower resolution displays of past iPads.

How can you not expect it to run a little warmer than other iPad versions?

20. mbairguy

mbairguy Contributor
    Bronze

Exactly. I have less and less patience with this stuff...lawsuits because Siri doesn't make the coffee and mow the damn lawn; "my new iPad set my pants on fire"... Thank goodness for the forums where myths can be dispelled.

42-watt battery vs. 25-watts...a 70% increase in power required...released in the form of heat energy...who'd a thunk it.