Is your keyboard ability worse?

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by scottjf8, Jul 15, 2009.

1. scottjf8

scottjf8 Member
    Silver

I swear I was really good at typing on the keyboard in 2.2 on my 3G.

Once I upgraded my 3G to 3.0 (and subsequently upgraded to 3GS) I can't type worth a damned. I hit shift when I meant to hit "A" and I hit space instead of m/n.

I know I wasn't nearly this bad on the 2.x.

Is it just me?

2. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

You know what I noticed, I have an easier time typing with two thumbs in landscape mode on 3.0....does that make sense?

Before I hit all the wrong keys....now I find it then times easier.

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

You're referring to landscape mode, right?

If so, I was wondering if it was just me! I've become much more accustomed to the portrait keyboard, and I get frustrated in landscape at having to backspace in order to delete a capital letter i didn't want. Also, the accidental hitting of the space bar is an issue for me as well. I use my right index finger to type - I guess I just need more practice in landscape mode.

That being said, I just typed this whole reply without doing either of those things. Go figure...:)

4. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

As one starting on 3.0, I type way better in landscape than in portrait. Portrait drives me crazy!

5. FuelieNova

FuelieNova Contributor
    Silver

I really became accustomed to the portrait keyboard and really do not use landscape that much.
    Tg

6. jlhollander

jlhollander Member
    Bronze

Ha. The funny thing with my typing, is ever since i got 3.0 (developer beta and all) I hit the return key more often than i mean to instead of the spacebar. Very strange.

7. scottjf8

scottjf8 Member
    Silver

I think I mean portrait mode (the way it always was in mail - not sideways)

8. iNinja

iNinja Zealot
    Gold

Im struggling with the same issue. Ive heard on these boards that the iPhone keyboard is intelligent and that if, say for example, you type "scree" the iPhone knows that the likelihood is that your typing "screen" and increases the size of the tap area on the letter "n". Im wondering if there is a bug in 3.0 that makes the keyboard less "intelligent" and as were used to 2.2.x then we are noticing it more?

9. MileHighRob

MileHighRob Zealot
    Gold

There's definitely a difference and I would venture to say it has more to do with 3.0 than landscape/portrait orientation. I always used landscape keyboard with the previous build whenever possible and rarely mistyped letters. Now I find myself prematurely hitting the SEND key instead of an O or P and often hit the spacebar for any one of the bottom row letters. I'm sure we're not alone with these issues either.

10. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Nope... mine got way better. In both landscape and portrait. The keyboard always felt laggy to me, and only now with the 3GS does it finally feel right to me.

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Yeah...

3GS = no keyboard lag!

12. MileHighRob

MileHighRob Zealot
    Gold

I'm so accustomed to landscape that I've not tried portrait to see if it's any different. Maybe I'll force myself not to turn the phone prior to typing to see if I'm mistyping as many letters in portrait orientation. I just know I was much more efficient with the keyboard on the old build.

13. iNinja

iNinja Zealot
    Gold

I'm experiencing no lag with the 3GS it's more the key selection seems less accurate.

14. MileHighRob

MileHighRob Zealot
    Gold

Yup... same here.

15. Ramesh

Ramesh Zealot
    Gold

Naps! Say it isn't so! :001:surprised

16. psylichon

psylichon Genius

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I never said I never made mistakes.

I just make mistakes with roughly the same frequency that neutrinos passing through the earth collide with matter. ;)

Good catch, though, Ramesh, You are indeed a witness to history.

18. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Shaddap, biatch!

That reminds me:

You can kiss a nun but it's hard to get into the habit.

What do nuns receive when they go above and beyond the call of duty? An oak leaf cloister.

I'll be here all year, folks! Try the veal!

19. zandrik

zandrik Member
    Bronze

my keyboard LAGS a lot now. I don't know why. Sometimes I just type what I want and then a few seconds latter I'll hear all the clicks and then the text just shows up. What is wrong with my phone?

20. Dustu2

Dustu2 Member
    Bronze

Gawd, I'm glad someone started up a thread like this so I didn't have to look any more retarded than I already do.

My keyboard has become STUPID! It capitalizes my Is(as in this is how >>I<< type) HALF of the time, does not correct words that it used to, and just generally is being a PITA to use. 2.2 seems to have worked much better for me! It's so frustrating that 3.0 just cut the brain right out of my keyboard. WTFDAWG!

Also, before anyone mentions it... YES, the auto-correction is turned on.