Is Zune Going to Hurt iPod Sales

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

emmaonline

Bronze
Nov 24, 2006
I see that the new Microsoft Zune mp3 and video player has just launched and it is starting to get a big push here in the media. I was wondering how worried Apple is about the market share they might losse to Microsoft... lord knows they have the money to make a good run at this market, more so than any of the other competitors! It is going to be interesting over the next year or so to see how this plays out!

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I'm sure they'll lose a small percentage of market share, but this is a growing market still. I'm sure the Zune will sell due to the sheer marketing blitz that occurred with it's entry. This is also the holiday season, so timing for the release was very good. I don't think Apple is too concerned. The iPod advertising machine has been rolling along. I think they are making a big push into the entry level Shuffle market. By doing so, they get people into the iTunes "eco-system". Once you use iTunes, it only makes sense to get an iPod (or iPhone:p).

-Chris

emmaonline

Bronze
Nov 24, 2006
I don't know, I think the Microsoft Machine is going to make a big impact into ipods sales, and their marketplace (their iTunes equivelant) is not that bad... It is a little light on the selection but I hear they are working to double the amount of music and add games and movies by the spring of 07.

Should be interesting!

Maybe they will come out with a ZunePhone too :cool:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I don't know, I think the Microsoft Machine is going to make a big impact into ipods sales, and their marketplace (their iTunes equivalent) is not that bad... It is a little light on the selection but I hear they are working to double the amount of music and add games and movies by the spring of 07.

Should be interesting!

Maybe they will come out with a ZunePhone too :cool:
Steve Ballmer already mentioned they would come out with a phone version. That would probably be some version of Windows Mobile combined with Zune features.

-Chris

Last edited:

pete101

Dec 12, 2006
From what I have read it looks like Apple will once again win out this year in the MP3 player market. I think iPods are outselling Zune's by like 4 to 1 ratios, mostly thanks to the catchy new iPod Nano colors and the new compact Shuffle. But I am sure had Zune not come out, the iPod sales would have been even better!

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
If you think Zune is going to have an impact on iPod sales I have some good reading for you. You might be surprized by the findings.

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q1.07/5C795400-70F1-436B-BF5B-018200A788D2.html

Basically I think heads have already rolled over at MS due to the failure of the Zune. I've been known to be wrong but I wouldn't expect to see MS sink a ton more cash into this venture. I think they're spending more time trying to patch things back up with the partners they alienated in the process of launching the Zune.

palomaaa

Apr 1, 2007
Philippines
If Microsoft will come out of a Zune-with-a-phone-camera, they might affect iPhone sales, but not with IPod.

I'm still dying to get one (IPod) for myself still.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
But hasn't that been the MS strategy all along? :laugh2:

The irony being that they've actually been so fantastically successful with exactly that strategy.