iSheep (or, how different are we really) :-)

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Kriss, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

I remember back when I had a Motorola flip phone seeing the first people who had iPhones. I was so jealous and wanted one more than anything. Every time I saw someone with one I would burn with jealousy. They seemed so cool and on the cutting edge.

Now that I've had iPhones for years, I look around and it seems almost everyone has one and it's uniquenes has kind of worn off. I see them in cars when driving, I see them on the streets. I see them at restaurants and public places. I do contribute this to the fact it's a standard by which most phones are now judged by. (no offense Android people).

I always felt cool having the coolest, newest device but now I think it's more like I feel cool just knowing that I can do whatever I like on it. Whether it's playing with musical instruments, games or using it for practical purposes like looking up information or directions. Do you think we're becoming a race of technological geeks who will all have the same exact devices one day? Steve Jobs has affected the communication world the same way that Thomas Edison did with the light bulb. Are you "unique"?

2. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I'm gonna get a Jitterbug so I can feel unique.;)

3. Hayesimus

Hayesimus Contributor
    Bronze

It's no different than when cars first came out. They all looked the same. It'll take a while but I think you are forgetting that it's not about the phone itself anymore. Now it's more about whats inside. Our choice of apps is what is setting us all apart. Not to mention if you are jailbroken or not. Kinda like how with all those similar cars, it was what's under the hood that counts. What the individual has done with it to make their own. :)

4. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

Yes I see your point there. There definitely are lots of different cars. Of course it is whats inside the phone that counts yet, we still all have iPhones. Y0u don't sit in a restaurant in your car but you DO use your phone in one. I see the differences in communication devices as minimal (unless you have a jitterbug). Lol. There's also a big difference between a 400.00 phone and a 350,000.00 Lexus LFA. I see the comparison more like that of the television than the automobile. These devices are becoming more and more interactive and I do wonder if there will be a point where every household will have the same ones. I also agree that the apps we use could one day define us as individuals. Maybe :)

5. Hayesimus

Hayesimus Contributor
    Bronze

I wasn't saying cars are like iPhones. I was saying that iPhones and Droids basically all look alike. Much like cars do. I mean if you see a black rectangle from 100 yars away you won't know what phone it is. Nor would you know what kind of car someone was driving by looking at a satellite image of a parking lot. That's my point. :p

6. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

Yes. I see what you mean. Which in a convoluted way is kinda what I was saying too. We'll all have these devices that are indistinguishable from each other. I wonder if somewhere in the future they will ALL be the same though.

7. Hayesimus

Hayesimus Contributor
    Bronze

Lol probably. I imagine by that point everything will be holograms. Our cars, our houses, our clothes... Just pray the power stays on or we might be in trouble! lol

8. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

hahaha. Yeah. I guess power could be a big issue in the future. Then I think we'd revert back to smoke signals. (Break out the bongs) 'that was a old school joke btw'

9. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

It's different for me since my iPhone purchase wasn't swayed by others having it. I just knew it was an amazing phone. I used all the ppl around me that already had one to "test drive" their phone. I see what you mean. It's different now having one. I still learn something and it still excites me every day to handle and use my iPhone.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't have an underlying need to feel mobile phone uniqueness. I'm not trying to impress people with my phone. I use an iPhone because it suits me best.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  11. Lisacj

Lisacj Member
    Bronze

Did you just tell me I'm NOT cool? I KNEW this was gonna be a bad day! Should'of never gotten out of bed!

Have a nice day!
    Love,
    l

12. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

nooooonoooonooo... I only said... now everyone else is as cool as you :)

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

"You can have any color iPhone you'd like as long as it's black or white." - Henry Ford (or Abraham Lincoln - I can never remember which)

14. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

Not sure how the iPhone or any smartphone or device is very different to anything else in life. A phone doesn't make you cool. Clothes don't make you cool. Fancy cars don't make you cool. Nor does jewelry, big TVs, big houses etc. That's all superficial crap.

15. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I don't tend to rate my uniqueness based on my tools; I look to what I'm creating with my tools.

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Agreed. Humans tend to be superficial animals, myself included (though I'm still awesome). Also, we live in a consumer-oriented culture that tells us what to buy and when to buy. Skinny women on magazine covers, dirt-splashed pickup trucks cavorting in muddy puddles with a Sam Elliot 2Hz narration - you get the idea.

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Yep. For instance, my trumpet is merely a tool, but the music I made with it was what I was proud of.

18. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I'm totally going to make my own phone just so I can be truly unique.

19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

It'll never catch on.

640_DumbPhone.jpg

20. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I'm unique without an iPhone.

Don't know why I quoted you lol