iShowU: Record your screen for iPhone tutorials

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I just stumbled upon some software that has been working very well for me, particularly in making video tutorials for the iPhone. No, I'm not making recordings of the iPhone's screen, but my Mac's!

I've tried to do the same on my PC for a while now with pleasing results, however my latest foray into the Mac has lead me to iShowU which as it turns out is very easy to use and the best of the bunch I've tried for both platforms.

So, if you've been wondering how to record video of your desktop while you do something like Jailbreak your phone and want to share it with the rest of the world without having to write a wall of text to explain how you did it, well have a gander at iShowU.

I'm currently using it to create some GIMP photo editing tutorials on the Mac/PC for resizing wallpapers for your iPhone. I will follow this up with more, but for the time being I'd like to put an end to all the "Resize Please!" threads in the wallpaper forum once and for all ;)

Stay Tuned!

Oh I forgot to mention, iShowU will set you back 20 bux, but thats 9 dollars cheaper than the competitors, and theres a lot of them. Not all are updated for Leopard however, which was another incentive that lead me towards iShowU, aside from helping out a Kiwi.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Shoot. You had me exited until I saw the $20 part. I've been looking for a good screen recording software, but all of the one's available are either crap or cost. And I don't pay for stuff like this.

It ticks me off that the trial is only 30 seconds.

Anybody else found any good free screen capturing software?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Sorry, those won't work.

I need free screen recording software for the Mac. It doesn't have to be really nice; just as long as it records and is free.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Sorry, those won't work.

I need free screen recording software for the Mac. It doesn't have to be really nice; just as long as it records and is free.
I'm a PC user at heart, and one thing I truly miss when on the Mac is the amount of free open/closed source programs Windows has available to it. On the contrary, nearly everything I have found useful on the mac costs money.

That said, I scoured google for quite some time looking for a free alternative to recording my screen on my iMac and what I was able to find either didn't work at all, or wasn't compatible with Leopard.

Believe me, I wouldn't pay for something like this normally either, but a free solution at this level of quality just doesn't exist. With that realization it became my goal to find the best value for the price, and that turned out to be iShowU. 9 bux cheaper than the competition and just as many features, not to mention it was one of the first to update for Leopard. I just had to take the plunge, its the same price as buying 2 albums on iTunes which is basically what I sacrificed this month for the iShowU purchase :T

Budgets... gotta pay this iMac off some how :p

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
If everyone who likes your tutorial gives you $1, then that would work out for all. :) I would like a tutorial on resizing wp, but I do not think I have the proper software to do it.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I found one. It's called Jing.

It captures video and screenshots, and then uploads them to a site called Screencast. It puts an icon in your menubar that has three options, Capture, History, and More. It works really well.

It's still a project, and in development, so it's free. It'll be shareware after they finish developing it, though. But when they do finish, people who downloaded the free version get the finished version, and continue using it for free. Pretty nice.

EDIT:
No more Jing. There are two issues that made me stop using it:
1) When recording, a semi-transparent yellow box is placed on your screen. It had the stop, pause, etc. buttons on it. But it showed up in the recording, and you could not move it out of the picture.

2) Screencast.com, the website Jing uploads the videos to, is awful I couldn't get it to play the videos, and it's very poorly designed. Also, it does not allow you to download it's videos, which was my goal. I would download them and then upload them to YouTube. Guess I'll keep searching.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I put this together so far with the help of iShowU and iMovie. I'm still working out the kinks. Not sure if I should use follow mouse mode so that you can read the menus on youtube, or keep the aspect ratio and lose out on the legibility.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Gimp is awesome.

How did you get the menubar to say "gimp", though?

Mine always says X11 since gimp runs under X11.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Gimp is awesome.

How did you get the menubar to say "gimp", though?

Mine always says X11 since gimp runs under X11.
x11 for leopard wasn't compiled correctly, and is using outdated libraries. As a result GIMP under x11 crashes when you try to paint. Lol

I'm using AquaGIMP which was compiled without x11. Its not as robust, and requires resetting the app's default shortcuts under leopard, but it works for my needs.

Once x11 gets updated I'll go back to that version of GIMP.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
x11 for leopard wasn't compiled correctly, and is using outdated libraries. As a result GIMP under x11 crashes when you try to paint. Lol

I'm using AquaGIMP which was compiled without x11. Its not as robust, and requires resetting the app's default shortcuts under leopard, but it works for my needs.

Once x11 gets updated I'll go back to that version of GIMP.
I noticed it was crashing when I painted.

I had figured out that X11 wasn't compiled correctly by using other apps that run under it, but I didn't connect that with the crashing.

I suppose I'll switch over to Aqua now.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
iShowU is only 19.99, and it goes directly to the one-man-show behind making this useful tool possible.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
I've tried to do the same on my PC for a while now with pleasing results, however my latest foray into the Mac has lead me to iShowU which as it turns out is very easy to use and the best of the bunch I've tried for both platforms.
x999x,
Can you tell me what software you recommend for Windows Platform?

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
thread jack but how come when someone quotes lincoln it says your old name of macmanpro?

juneinin

Jun 4, 2009
I think that is a good example of a screen recording video... what is the software that you've use in it?