iSight Camera Replacement Program for iPhone 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Rafagon, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Yesterday, Apple unleashed their replacement program for faulty iSight cameras on the iPhone 6 Plus.

It was recently determined that some iPhone 6 Plus units sold between September 2014 and January 2015 have a defective component in the camera module. This can result in blurry photos.

Apple claims that "only a small percentage" of the units suffer from this defect.

You can visit this site to determine if your phone is affected, and to find out what steps you should take. The program will cover affected iPhone 6 Plus iSight cameras for three years after the first retail sale of the unit.

blurry.jpg
    Above: A simulated example of blurry photo taken with a faulty iPhone 6 Plus camera.

#1 Rafagon, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  2. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

Well, well. Looks like my phone is eligible.

*EDIT*

Going to take it in for repair on Tuesday. Wondering what I should do about my Jailbreak. lol

May just backup and restore to wipe it and stay on 8.4. Maybe they won't notice. ;)

#2 efuseakay, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Don't take it in jailbroken and don't restore in iTunes. It will install 8.4.1, which isn't jailbreakable. Instead, use Cydia Impactor to remove the jailbreak and stay on your current firmware. Rejailbreak after you get the camera repaired.

4. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

Ah yes. Forgot about Impactor. Thank you! Not that it'll really matter at this point. iOS 9 should be out soon anyway. ;)

5. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

Got my appointment tomorrow Will let you all know how it goes. :)

6. Hype-149

Hype-149 New Member

I had mine replaced yesterday (Sunday) and the new camera seems good so far. Took about an hour for them to swap it out.

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

My serial number is listed, but I think I'll forgo the replacement. I also haven't had any camera blurriness issues. I'll have a new 6s Plus in less than a month and I'm probably turning my present phone back in to AT&T.

8. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

Had my appointment today. From check-in to getting my phone back took about an hour and a half. All is good. Nothing got deleted from my phone either, but I did remove the jailbreak. Re-doing that now. With much less trouble than before. lol

9. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I've just checked mine and it's recommended that I send it in for repairs. ICK! I'll make a Saturday morning Appointment at my local Apple store.

I guess I have to get this Zagg glass screen protector off as well as iCloud & iTunes back it up before I take it in.

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Are you actually experiencing the problem with the camera? Apple is covering a range of serial numbers just to be safe.

11. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

You know what? I just had this discussion with my girlfriend because she too is eligible but we determined that it might be a better idea not to bother because our Cameras are fine.

My pictures are beautiful and so are hers so... Nah, we're not going to go through the motions of making the appointment and going just to be told that we don't need the replacement.

I am glad Apple is handling this. The minute I have a blurry photo then maybe I'll reconsider. LOL!! But so far, so good.

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

The occasional blurry pic isn't in line with the defect, apparently.

13. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

LOL! I didn't mean that literally. I was joking. I wouldn't be exchanging unless it was dire, and as of today it is not. LOL!! :ROFLMAO:

14. Hype-149

Hype-149 New Member

I didn't have to remove my screen protector just the Apple leather case I had on it. They asked i turn off find my iPhone and asked for my lock screen password - I just disabled it for now.

In hindsite I should not have because when I re-enabled it, I had to make a 6 digit lock code in case my touch ID didn't work.

15. Muckcityjustin

Gold

Had mine replaced the other night in the Atlantic City store in about 35 minutes. Quick and painless.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't have a 6 Plus, but if I did and my serial was included, I'd get it replaced under the following circumstances even if I wasn't experiencing a problem now:

1. Planning on keeping the 6 Plus rather than upgrading to a 6s Plus.
    2. Don't have AppleCare + to cover it next year.

The reason for this is the camera may be functioning fine now, but it is a known faulty part that could fail at any time and I wouldn't want to chance Apple not repairing it for free once it's out of warranty. They probably would, but it's still taking a chance.