iSight Camera Replacement Program for iPhone 6 Plus

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Yesterday, Apple unleashed their replacement program for faulty iSight cameras on the iPhone 6 Plus.

It was recently determined that some iPhone 6 Plus units sold between September 2014 and January 2015 have a defective component in the camera module. This can result in blurry photos.

Apple claims that "only a small percentage" of the units suffer from this defect.

You can visit this site to determine if your phone is affected, and to find out what steps you should take. The program will cover affected iPhone 6 Plus iSight cameras for three years after the first retail sale of the unit.

blurry.jpg
Above: A simulated example of blurry photo taken with a faulty iPhone 6 Plus camera.

Last edited:

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
Well, well. Looks like my phone is eligible.

*EDIT*

Going to take it in for repair on Tuesday. Wondering what I should do about my Jailbreak. lol

May just backup and restore to wipe it and stay on 8.4. Maybe they won't notice. ;)

Last edited:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Well, well. Looks like my phone is eligible.

*EDIT*

Going to take it in for repair on Tuesday. Wondering what I should do about my Jailbreak. lol

May just backup and restore to wipe it and stay on 8.4. Maybe they won't notice. ;)
Don't take it in jailbroken and don't restore in iTunes. It will install 8.4.1, which isn't jailbreakable. Instead, use Cydia Impactor to remove the jailbreak and stay on your current firmware. Rejailbreak after you get the camera repaired.

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
Ah yes. Forgot about Impactor. Thank you! Not that it'll really matter at this point. iOS 9 should be out soon anyway. ;)

Hype-149

Oct 19, 2014
I had mine replaced yesterday (Sunday) and the new camera seems good so far. Took about an hour for them to swap it out.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
My serial number is listed, but I think I'll forgo the replacement. I also haven't had any camera blurriness issues. I'll have a new 6s Plus in less than a month and I'm probably turning my present phone back in to AT&T.

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
Had my appointment today. From check-in to getting my phone back took about an hour and a half. All is good. Nothing got deleted from my phone either, but I did remove the jailbreak. Re-doing that now. With much less trouble than before. lol

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
I've just checked mine and it's recommended that I send it in for repairs. ICK! I'll make a Saturday morning Appointment at my local Apple store.

I guess I have to get this Zagg glass screen protector off as well as iCloud & iTunes back it up before I take it in.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I've just checked mine and it's recommended that I send it in for repairs. ICK! I'll make a Saturday morning Appointment at my local Apple store.

I guess I have to get this Zagg glass screen protector off as well as iCloud & iTunes back it up before I take it in.
Are you actually experiencing the problem with the camera? Apple is covering a range of serial numbers just to be safe.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Are you actually experiencing the problem with the camera? Apple is covering a range of serial numbers just to be safe.
You know what? I just had this discussion with my girlfriend because she too is eligible but we determined that it might be a better idea not to bother because our Cameras are fine.

My pictures are beautiful and so are hers so... Nah, we're not going to go through the motions of making the appointment and going just to be told that we don't need the replacement.

I am glad Apple is handling this. The minute I have a blurry photo then maybe I'll reconsider. LOL!! But so far, so good.

Hype-149

Oct 19, 2014

I didn't have to remove my screen protector just the Apple leather case I had on it. They asked i turn off find my iPhone and asked for my lock screen password - I just disabled it for now.

In hindsite I should not have because when I re-enabled it, I had to make a 6 digit lock code in case my touch ID didn't work.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I don't have a 6 Plus, but if I did and my serial was included, I'd get it replaced under the following circumstances even if I wasn't experiencing a problem now:

1. Planning on keeping the 6 Plus rather than upgrading to a 6s Plus.
2. Don't have AppleCare + to cover it next year.

The reason for this is the camera may be functioning fine now, but it is a known faulty part that could fail at any time and I wouldn't want to chance Apple not repairing it for free once it's out of warranty. They probably would, but it's still taking a chance.