Issue with AT&T website currently charges $15 extra on AT&T Next purchases; AT&T is aware

Discussion in 'iPhone 6S' started by Rafagon, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

In addition to the $15 fee that AT&T charges their Next customers to activate new phones (as Europa kindly informed us on 22 July 2015), AT&T is currently erroneously charging a $15 fee which they are claiming is due to a "known issue."

Upon examination of a "Review Order" screen for an iPhone I ordered today (see below), I noticed a line item that read One-Time Preorder Charge*** in the amount of $15.00.
    WTF-fifteen-final.jpg
    Curious to find out what this meant, I looked for the asterisks in the fine print below, but the explanation that was offered was rubbish:

asterisks.png
    If that print is too small for comfortable reading, here is what it says: "For preorders, charges will be processed on date of shipping and will include actual, applicable taxes, fees, and surcharges, which may vary from the quoted estimate.

I still needed to find out what this mysterious $15 charge was. I logged onto the AT&T website and requested a chat with a representative. First she tried to tell me that the $15 was the tax for my purchase. But the sales tax (7% in my case) of my purchase does not equal $15. I politely stated that I disagreed, and then she tried to tell me that the $15 was a "one-time upgrade fee." I told her, again, politely, that that too was wrong, because there was already an upgrade fee of $15 on my bill. She again came back with erroneous information. On her fourth attempt to help me, she finally informed me that "That [sic] the price of the plan added to the total tax. But no worries, You will not totally charge [sic] for the $15. Only for the tax. Currently there is a System, know issue processing an order."

A transcript of the somewhat tedious conversation is posted below.

I posted this as a cautionary tale: If you recently bought or are about to buy an iPhone using AT&T Next, be sure you are billed correctly.

1 of 3 1 of 3.png
    2 of 3 2 of 3.png
    3 of 3 3 or 3.png

#1 Rafagon, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This is another reason to order from Apple instead of AT&T.

3. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Ahhh I got that too. No way I upgraded I owed the prior phone .
    Now I am going to look if I actually got charged.

4. SunnySweet

SunnySweet Contributor
    Bronze

I preordered a phone from Apple (rose gold iPhone 6S+ 128gb) and paid full price. I am being charged a *one time upgrade fee of $15* plus an activation fee. I ordered hubby's phone through AT&T (he was due for a contract upgrade and I had to order his through AT&T to keep our grandfathered UDP) I see no one time charge for his phone but I will contact AT&T tomorrow and let you all know if I get a straight answer from them.

5. SunnySweet

SunnySweet Contributor
    Bronze

I called AT&T and am not sure if I got a straight answer or not. She told me since I paid full price for my phone my *activation fee* was the $15 and since hubby got his on contract he was being charged the $45 activation fee. I mentioned that we have never paid an activation fee because in the past it has been waived as a courtesy due to my husband's employment. She checked and said both fees would indeed be removed from our bill. Not sure if that will help anyone. It pleased me and I did not ask any further questions lol

6. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Thanks ! I got my $15 credit .

7. Eragon

Eragon Zealot
    Gold

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Hey there, thanks for replying. :)

I wasn't sure if you were addressing me, or one of the other folks in this thread.

Just in case you are addressing me, I am aware of and okay with that $15 Next upgrade fee. It's much more reasonable than the upgrade fee of $45 that AT&T charges those who sign a new two-year agreement and purchase the phone at the subsidized price.

But my particular bill had that $15 figure listed twice (see the screen shot above—first post in this thread). There's one instance of a $15 charge at the top under "Due Now", and a second instance about halfway down my screenshot (with the green arrow pointing to it). It is that second $15 charge (and the vague explanation offered after scrolling to the bottom and finding the three asterisks and the explanation) that I had the problem with. That prompted me to request an online chat with an AT&T customer service rep. You can see the three-page transcript posted up there as well.

At first, she tried to tell me it was sales tax. After three incorrect "guesses" as to what the second $15 charge was, with one of those guesses actually coming directly from her manager (according to her), she finally got it right on the fourth attempt: "It is a known issue. You will not be charged for it. Currently there is a 'system known issue' processing an order."

Her first attempt to answer my question (telling me that it was sales tax) is downright ridiculous! The only way $15 could be the sales tax on $749 is if my sales tax rate were ~2%. I'm not sure if she told me that it was sales tax because she's an idiot, or maybe she thought that I was the idiot, and that I would accept such an answer without questioning it and I would simply go away after hearing that.

9. Njshoremom4gurlz

Njshoremom4gurlz Contributor
    Silver

May I ask if anyone traded their iPhone in w att? I owe maybe 280 now... I could choose to sell my iPhone out right or trade in (easier but probably a loss of $$) if you trade it in how much do they give for the phone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Njshoremom4gurlz

Silver

My phone is immaculate btw not a scratch

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You don't get any money if you trade it in since it's a Next phone. The options are to turn it in or pay it off and sell privately. I would pay it off if you only owe $280. You can sell it on Craigslist for a lot more than that. Is it a 64 GB?

12. Njshoremom4gurlz

Silver

Yes it's a 64 and I JUST posted on Craigslist.
    I'm selling it first in paying it off and grabbing the new one than sell it.

13. Njshoremom4gurlz

Silver

That sounded wrong lol
    First I'm going to att pay my phone off.
    Order a new iPhone 6s Plus I'm hoping they have my color this time.I wasn't in a rush but I figure let me get this moving.
    Than when my new phone is turned on and my iPhone 6plus is just here... I'll sell it privately.

14. Njshoremom4gurlz

Silver

My goal is around NOV 1st I'll have my new 6s plus

15. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

I got my 6s Plus at Apple on a Verizon upgrade after 1 year of a 2-year contract. I paid $499 and was charged a $45 "upgrade fee" by Verizon. I don't see any way around these carrier fees.

16. Njshoremom4gurlz

Silver

They giving (it was on commercial) 300$ credit for iPhone trade

17. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

Apple was going to give me $350 for my iPhone 6 128GB (mint condition) if I traded it in. Instead I sold it on Swappa for about $520 (net to me) in a day and a half. I threw in a few cases to sweeten the deal. :)

18. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I thought the point of Next was No extra Fee... you pay Sale Tax and that's it. I did find after upgrading my Wife's iPhone last month a extra 9.99. it just said Misc monthly charge.
    They added Insurance for her Phone. I was ill after I told the tech not to do that.