Issues updating apps from App Store

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by rugved1118, Apr 6, 2014.

1. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Hello,
    Once, i had used my friends Apple ID on app store to download an app which he had downloaded from app of the day. Now, when i want to update any app, it ask for his Apple ID password inspite of adding my Apple ID in imessage and icloud sync. Can anyone suggest a solution ?

Also, thought to share this information that if you want to download an app from app of the day but have missed to download and your friend has already downloaded that app, then you can download it anytime for FREE using his Apple id and password.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe Forums

Proud owner of iPhone5, iPhone4 and ipad2-wifi+3G

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Did you make sure your Apple ID is the only one listed in settings-App Store?

Also one thing to note, when you go to backup on iTunes I don't believe it will backup that app as you installed it using your friends Apple ID. Someone please comment if I'm mistaken on this.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

To fix this problem you will need to delete every app you have downloaded using someone else's account. You can't have apps from two accounts on your phone without experiencing this sort of problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Did you change your iTunes Apple ID? You only mentioned iCloud and iMessage. If your Apple ID in iTunes is yours, then just do what Europa suggested. It's the only way to stop the updates asking for your friend's ID.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

He didn't change his ID. He wanted to avoid paying for an app his friend had already bought, so he logged out of his own account and logged into his friend's, downloaded the app, logged out and then logged back into his own account. The only solution to his problem is to delete the apps that were downloaded with his friend's account.

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Thus the value of paying for your own apps.

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I would never give my Apple ID to anyone to use for anything. Not even a friend. Nor would I want to know a friends Apple ID. There's just too much that can go wrong.

8. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

There was only one app which i had downloaded using his id and i have deleted that app within 24 hours. But still am been asked to put his password. What advice ?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe Forums

Proud owner of iPhone5, iPhone4 and ipad2-wifi+3G

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

When you go here in the App Store, do you see your ID or his?
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1396841971.551374.jpg

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

1. Log out of the App Store.
    2. Reboot your phone.
    3. Make sure the app is still deleted from the phone.
    4. Log into iTunes with your Apple ID.
    5. Do your updates.

If these steps don't work, go back and make sure there are no more apps on your phone that you downloaded with your friend's credentials. The second part of your original post here implies that there may have been more.

11. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

As everyone else has mentioned, apps purchased or downloaded are tied to the Apple ID associated with it. If you want the ability to update the app, it has to be associated with your Apple ID, not your friends. It sounds like it was never associated with yours, which is your problem. Delete the app, install it from the App Store using your ID and the app is legally yours to update as you wish.

The short short version of this is: just pay for the app.