Issues with forum search ...

TyWebb

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
Paradise, FL, USA
Well not so much this forum, but most all forums I guess. I hate the limitation of having to have at least 4 letters in a word for it to be searched. I know this isn't unique to this forum, thats the case at most all I visit.

There are just some instances where it really sucks. For example today I wanted to do a search on all threads with "Orb" in the title. I cant do that. Same goes if I want to search for threads with "SSH" in the title. I don't see any way around this thereforee I cannot search for threads that I want to see.

Can you imagine if Google didn't count any words under 4 letters in the search? We would be missing out on a lot.

Is 3 letters the minumum for this forum software? Or can it be adjusted?

Thanks

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I too share this hatred found in most if not all forum searches. I'll look into it tomorrow and see if we can top it. I have thought about implement Google Search within the forums.

Either way, I'll do what I can to improve upon search.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
It's pretty easy to use google to search the site without even using any special commands in your search. Just have "everythingicafe" as your first search term and it works quite well.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
It's pretty easy to use google to search the site without even using any special commands in your search. Just have "everythingicafe" as your first search term and it works quite well.
There are a few forum hacks that enable you to replace the default search with Google search. The main site search is poor, but got missed in the redesign. Also on the to-do list.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
What about searching from the iPhone? I like using the mobile version and when I go to search it comes up with the search fir keywords box. I type in search words then push the search button. It automatically comes up with vbulletin error there is a security token missing... If there's anything I can do I would appreciate the advice.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Isn't there some syntax you can type in google to get you to the exact post you may be looking for?
Something like this? everythingicafe:search blah blah

I think hippo knew what it was.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Isn't there some syntax you can type in google to get you to the exact post you may be looking for?
Something like this? everythingicafe:search blah blah

I think hippo knew what it was.
You don't need that...simply use the Google Search up top. It searches the entire site.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
I never saw that before, Thanks Chris! Does that replace what I was referring to?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
If you're trying to do it from a generic Google search bar, use "site:everythingicafe.com" as one of the search terms. Quotation not needed.