Issues with iP6+, erased all, setting up as new-how to get songs back?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

tudy

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I hope I am on the correct forum topic. I had various issues with my iP5s and when I upgraded to iP6+ (iOS8 8.1.2) and restored from back up, it appears I still have issues. I had far too many apps etc installed to narrow down if a particular app or what was perhaps the cause. So, I erased all settings and data and SET UP AS NEW. I have NOT connected to iTunes (12.0.1.26) yet for I fear losing my backup performed just prior to the erase. I have manually installed most of the apps (77 at present) and haven't lost anything in that regard (sign in and back ups of individual apps helped). If applicable, my iMac is running Yosemite 10.10.1
  • Now, I don't know how to get my iTunes library on to my iPhone. I did connect via USB to iTunes to see what it would do and it started to "sync" so I closed it out.
  • There are quite a few apps that I previously purchased but cannot download from the cloud- I am required to pay for them even though I have "all ready" paid for them (i.e. mSecure, eWeather, My Medical etc).

I searched this forum and Google and could not find anything to help me. Any suggestions, referrals to links etc would be most appreciated.

Tudy

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
When iTunes begins to sync, you can immediately cancel it with no issues. Then you can use your backup, but it may not be wise if it was an app that caused the issues. What were the problems?

Are the songs on your iTunes still / on backup?

tudy

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Correct, I do not want to use my backup- there is an issue in there somewhere. There are too many little glitches to remember- portrait to landscape switching issues (gone now), slow at times, various apps getting frozen, volume slider missing from quick access screen that you slide up from the bottom of the screen, sometimes playing videos, sometimes frozen, much more I am sure that I cannot recall at present.

My whole iTunes library is still on my last back up. So I just want to get that on to my "set up as new" phone without backing any other information up. It would be ideal to connect to iTunes and only check what I want to sync ( I think you used to be able to do that). From there I'm a bit confused how I would start a "new" back up of my newly set up phone...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I never apply backups from old devices on new iPhones because of the potential for problems such as you experienced. To fix it, you just restore to factory settings, sync with iTunes to sync your apps and media, and log into iCloud. iCloud syncs certain data such as bookmarks and contacts. This is different from applying your backup, which you definitely don't want to do. You can sync with iTunes without applying your backup.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
When iTunes begins to sync, you can immediately cancel it with no issues. Then you can use your backup, but it may not be wise if it was an app that caused the issues. What were the problems?

Are the songs on your iTunes still / on backup?
She does not need to cancel. The songs are not in the backup. They are on the computer. She needs to sync with iTunes to get them back. She doesn't need to avoid any of her apps. The problem was the backup itself. She needs to sync with iTunes to get the apps that aren't available through the cloud.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
She does not need to cancel. The songs are not in the backup. They are on the computer. She needs to sync with iTunes to get them back. She doesn't need to avoid any of her apps. The problem was the backup itself. She needs to sync with iTunes to get the apps that aren't available through the cloud.
I was asking for clarification, thank you very much, and they provided that to me, but I didn't see the reply until now because the app does not send notifications anymore.

I said they can cancel the sync, as they clearly stated that they were worried when it started to sync. Most worry when it begins to sync and they may not want everything to go back on the phone, or they aren't sure what was causing an issue...I am one of those people, but then I gather myself and figure out what to do.

My point is, can't we get along?

My whole iTunes library is still on my last back up. So I just want to get that on to my "set up as new" phone without backing any other information up. It would be ideal to connect to iTunes and only check what I want to sync ( I think you used to be able to do that). From there I'm a bit confused how I would start a "new" back up of my newly set up phone...
Understood. Hopefully you'll be squared away with syncing your device with iTunes. This will indeed create a new backup.

Last edited:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I was asking for clarification, thank you very much, and they provided that to me, but I didn't see the reply until now because the app does not send notifications anymore.

I said they can cancel the sync, as they clearly stated that they were worried when it started to sync. Most worry when it begins to sync and they may not want everything to go back on the phone, or they aren't sure what was causing an issue...I am one of those people, but then I gather myself and figure out what to do.

My point is, can't we get along?

Understood. Hopefully you'll be squared away with syncing your device with iTunes. This will indeed create a new backup.
I'm trying to help the OP get on the right track. She does not need to cancel the sync. She needs to sync to fix this. She does not want to use the old backup. The old backup is the problem.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I'm trying to help the OP get on the right track. She does not need to cancel the sync. She needs to sync to fix this. She does not want to use the old backup. The old backup is the problem.
I will hope that she has synced her phone now and everything is good, but this is what she posted after my post.

"It would be ideal to connect to iTunes and only check what I want to sync ( I think you used to be able to do that)."

You can do this by canceling the sync.

Anyways, back on topic. @tudy , I hope everything is good and your phone doesn't have any issues now. If you still do, or do in the future, this here forum is awesome. :)

tudy

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Lots of great guidance, thank you. Europa, can I omit some of the iPhone apps that are in my iTunes? I really don't want all of the ones I previously had to sync on to my phone. I have all ready added every app (up to 92 now). Interesting that there were quiet a few that didn't show as a re-download from the cloud, they had the "GET" button and I have found some differences in these ones. All my apps auto update every night too, so I found that weird.

When I first connected my iPhone to the USB, to my computer, and open iTunes- it said "syncing". Can I stop that process, go delete the apps that I don't want and then start the sync again?

tudy

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Aha, I just connected again and opened iTunes and it is not auto syncing. I think I can figure this out now. I understand I need to sync to get my music back. I'll give this a whirl. Thank you MoneyMaker79 and Europa! Happy New Year! (I may be back though)

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Aha, I just connected again and opened iTunes and it is not auto syncing. I think I can figure this out now. I understand I need to sync to get my music back. I'll give this a whirl. Thank you MoneyMaker79 and Europa! Happy New Year! (I may be back though)
You're very welcome. As for omitting the apps you do not want installed onto your iPhone, or if they are already there, press "Apps" right under "Summary" and press "Remove" on the ones you want removed, and then Apply. You can then keep them in your iTunes if you'd like to still, or you can click Apps, and click each app and press the delete button on your keyboard. :)

Happy New Year to you as well.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Lots of great guidance, thank you. Europa, can I omit some of the iPhone apps that are in my iTunes? I really don't want all of the ones I previously had to sync on to my phone. I have all ready added every app (up to 92 now). Interesting that there were quiet a few that didn't show as a re-download from the cloud, they had the "GET" button and I have found some differences in these ones. All my apps auto update every night too, so I found that weird.

When I first connected my iPhone to the USB, to my computer, and open iTunes- it said "syncing". Can I stop that process, go delete the apps that I don't want and then start the sync again?
You don't need to stop it or delete the apps in iTunes. Just go to the apps tab and go though and check the boxes for the apps that you want on the phone and then select "apply changes." It will then sync the apps to your phone.

tudy

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
You don't need to stop it or delete the apps in iTunes. Just go to the apps tab and go though and check the boxes for the apps that you want on the phone and then select "apply changes." It will then sync the apps to your phone.
I saw that and did so. Heck, some apps are from my old Apple ID!! I hate how they won't let us merge. And yes, I noticed the second time I connected and opened iTunes, it did not auto sync (which is how I have had it set up too).

One more question, when I do sync, it doesn't 2 way sync right? It will sync whatever is on my iTunes on to my "set up as new" phone if I recall correctly.

Oh, and what is "OP" that you referenced in an earlier post? don't say old person....lol

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It should transfer purchases from the phone when you connect to iTunes.

OP = Original Poster (the person who started the thread).

tudy

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Ah, roger that. I'm all sync'd, sorting again which apps I want on the phone, and am going to make sure I'm happy with everything before I back up.
I appreciate your wisdom...