Issues with the sleep/wake button and home button

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Roundeye76, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Roundeye76

Roundeye76 New Member

Well, I had my iPhone replaced yesterday due to a bad battery and have noticed a completely new problem as of today. When my phone has been in sleep mode for periods of 30 seconds or more the sleep/wake button requires 2 clicks to wake the phone. The first press of the button offers no reaction at all. To make matters worse, the home button doesn't wake the phone up AT ALL. Has anyone else experienced this type of problem? I know that this isn't normal considering I've never had this issue on the previous 4 iPhones I've been through (2 had multiple dead pixels and 2 with battery issues). I performed a hard reset on the phone as well as a full restore with no positive results. I am most likely going to take the phone back to the Apple store tomorrow, but would also like to know if anyone else has experienced anything like this. Thanks!

2. RchGrav

RchGrav New Member
    Bronze

Some times my iPhone flickers the first time i press the home button but doesn't wake. Second press it wakes. It didn't do this before 1.01, and it doesn't do it often at all. Not sure, but im chalking my issue up to a software bug. Do a reset... Does it still happen?

I'm afraid to swap or sent my current phone in for a repair or swap over just any small problem. I'm on my fourth, the middle two were bad from the get go. I wouldn't chance getting one with worse issues. For example, the pixels are so small I would live with a dead pixel for fear of getting one with worse problems.

3. Roundeye76

Roundeye76 New Member

I could of lived with the double tap of the sleep/wake button to wake the phone up, but a new issue arised shortly after my post. When the phone was in sleep mode, the phone would not wake nor ring when someone called or sent a text. After doing a reset and 2 restores I finally took the phone back to the Apple store and they determined it was an issue with the hardware. They gladly exchanged the phone for a new one and I've since had no major problems. The screen actually appears to be more vibrant compared to the other phones I have had! Thanks for the reply RchGrav. I total agree with you on taking back the phone in fear of getting another one with bigger problems. But dead batteries and multiple dead pixels on the center of the screen within days/weeks of purchase are unacceptable. Especially when I'm spending $600+ on a product. That's exactly what a lot of these big companies want you to do, except faulty software/hardware. To just chalk a defect up as a minor issue and deal with it. After all, they already have your money. Look at Microsoft! I do have to say, while disappointed in the multiple iPhones I've had to go through, that Apple has taken every step possible to make sure that I'm 100% completely satisfied. Thanks again for the reply. Cheers!

4. HRPCivicSi

HRPCivicSi New Member

The sleep/wake button on my
    iPhone 4 is starting to get loose and if you shake the phone it makes rattling noises has anyone else experience this problem ?

And do you think that it's that big
    Of a deal to send it off to Apple to get fixed ? It's pretty annoying lol

5. Lincoln

Lincoln New Member
    Gold

Depends. How loose is it? Mine can move ever so slightly side to side, but it's not all over the place. There definitely no rattling. If it's pretty loose and could potentially come off or something, send it in, especially if it's bothering you.

6. HRPCivicSi

HRPCivicSi New Member

It's not really loose but loose enough where the button moves side to side a little but when you move the phone you hear the button moving back and forth

7. iPercy

iPercy New Member
    Bronze

ok so all of a sudden yesterday my sleep/wake button became almost entirely unresponsive on my iPhone 4. Usually it clicks when pressed but it doesn't even do that. I have to press it down VERY hard on the button to actually work. does anyone have an idea what it could be?

I don't want to try turning it off because if the button gives out I will not be able to turn my phone on when needed. I don't want to plug it in each time. I never dropped my phone either.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

8. HUNTER1

HUNTER1 Member
    Bronze

You can just use the home button to wake it up and just use the power button to power it on, maybe once a day.

9. dturner

dturner Zealot
    Gold

I would return it for a new one. You are still under warranty and if it shows no signs of abuse Apple will replace it.

10. glttrgrl

glttrgrl New Member

I agree, I would definitely return it. You can use the workarounds suggested for a while, but if it breaks totally you won't be able to do a hard reset (home + sleep/wake button) if you need to either reset it or try to put it into DFU mode for a post-snafu restore.

My iPhone 3G developed this problem because the plastic around it cracked, probably because I'm a heavy user & was always locking it to save battery life. I've JB both my iPhone 4 and iPad and use QuickLock2 on the iPhone and Activator pinch screen gesture on the iPad now solely bc I'm paranoid about that button wearing out right after the warranty expires like my last one did. I'd definitely exchange your phone; it will become more and more of an inconvenience as time goes on, IMO. Sorry, I know that will kind of suck to set everything up again but I think it's worth it in future pain saved. :)

11. iPercy

iPercy New Member
    Bronze

i will definitely go to the Apple store tomorrow and exchange my phone. thanks guys, i thought there could be an evil fix for this

12. joeg679

joeg679 Member
    Bronze

This happened to me a fee weeks ago. I went to Apple and they gave me a new one.

13. hitnrun

hitnrun Member
    Bronze

I had this happen as well and even documented in a thread. They replaced my iPhone 4 with no questions asked.

14. jags86

jags86 Member
    Bronze

This happened to me today. 1 second it worked, the next second it was like the contact pad underneath the sleep/wake button had broken. Brought it to the Apple store, they replaced it in about 5 minutes. Best part is they said "its not a part we can repair" so don't worry about them going into the back and fixing it.

15. iPercy

iPercy New Member
    Bronze

i went to the Apple store and they instantly gave me a new one. Gotta love Apple for this. Any other company/carrier would have you wait 1-2 weeks for a new phone, and people like to bash on Apple? Fanboy for life! lol

16. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

This happened to me at about 9 months on my 3G. I made an appt through the Genius Bar, took it into the Apple store and after looking over my device for about 5 minutes they decided my button was indeed malfunctioning and gave me a new device. I agree with you on Apple customer service. I have never been anything but extremely pleased with their responsiveness.

17. heybud71789

heybud71789 New Member

This just happened to me. My phone is jailbroken so should I restore it before bringing it in?
    I also heard somewhere that it's legal to jailbreak now?

18. joeg679

joeg679 Member
    Bronze

It's not illegal to jailbreak, but it voids your Apple warranty and the Apple employee won't work in a jailbroken phone. Restore it and bring it in and they should replace it without a problem.

19. Romanov

Romanov New Member

So recently my iPhone 3G has been acting weird well the sleep button has. I have noticed a crack near that button where the sim is and i think this affecting the button. I have tried applying pressure to the top corner of the phone and that was working for a week or so but now it is taking more pressure to keep the button functioning. Any ideas on how to fix this?

?

20. deepen03

deepen03 Member
    Bronze

no ideas, but my cousin has the same problem on her phone.. she dropped it, and there is a gap on the phone near the sleep button. so if she presses the phone from both sides, the button works.