iStick

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by JWiPhone, May 24, 2014.

1. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I really love the design and what it can do, but the price is a big No for me. $129 retail price for an 8 GB stick? I know it can handle most formats for storage, and the convenience factor is great but I can't justify such a big price. My guess is that it is because of Apple and the lightning connector.

#1 JWiPhone, May 24, 2014
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Too much for me and not needed. I'll wait for the iPhone 6 and get more gb with that. I'm still making do with a 16 gb phone. But if I had a 64 gb and was maxed out on space, I'd have to just delete stuff. 64 is a lot for a phone.

3. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I agree. I will probably go with the 64 GB iPhone 6, but that will be my limit for storage size. iStick would be nice for transferring files though.

4. Maxituch

Maxituch New Member

Is it password protected ?

Cheers!

#4 Maxituch, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2014
  5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

That would be a great product, but I agree that that capacity is way too small. They have a few other sizes out there now, but they are still quite expensive:

Screen Shot 2014-12-26 at 9.30.54 PM.png (thumbnail; click to enlarge)

A lot rests of this product's usability rests on how easy to use the accompanying app is. I suspect that, in the case of music for example, the music on your stick will not automatically be integrated into your library as visible from the stock iOS Music app. Likewise, photos will not automatically end up on your Photos app, etc.

According to the website, "iStick is safe and secure since no data is sent through 3rd party services or transferred through the Internet or Cloud where hackers and others (like server operators) may gain access." So, yes, it is secure as long as it is in your possession.

But what if you lose your stick? Can someone stick your stick into their phone and access its contents without entering a password? I don't know the answer to that. I was able to send the company a message via their website where I asked them that very question, and I'll update this post if/when they get back to me.

6. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

Too much money for too little storage. But then early devices like this are always waaaay overpriced. I expect the price to come down and capacity to soar before too long. That is unless the company priced their product too high and lack of sales kills them.

I'd love to see this product as an adapter into which a user inserts his own micro-sd card.

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

They took their sweet time to answer my e-mail, but a response finally came in:

Me:
    I have a couple of questions about the iStick. Is it password protected? For example, if I lose it, and someone plugs it into their phone, will they have access to all of my data?

How about integration. Will it add any music on it to the iTunes Library on my phone? Or will I need your app to play the music that's on the iStick, while continuing to use the iTunes app on my phone for the music that's on my phone's storage?

iStick staff reply:
    Hi,

Password protection for the iStick is currently under development and will be implemented soon. As much as we would like to integrate the multimedia data between the iStick and the iOS devices, iTunes won't allow it. To answer your question, all media files on the iStick will only play through the iStick app (or through 3rd party apps using the 'Open In' function) and all media files purchased from iTunes or synced from iTunes will remain separate from the iStick data.

Thanks,
    Angelo

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I agree it's still too expensive. But I did notice the 64 gb model is sold out and not in Stock. So someone is buying them at $199.99 for 64 gb. I'll pass for now.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.