It all seems complicated

Pharry

Aug 19, 2008
Chelmsford - UK
Morning all,

MY first post so be gentle. I have been reading through this forum and WOW there are some real clever people on here doing all sorts of things with there iPhones, in fact i find it quite scary.

After reading through the "jailbreak" threads etc Iam still confused and quite scared to do anything. Basically If could change the following without doing anything to head banging it it would be great. So is there a real complete idiots guide to doing the following:

Create a louder custom tone for, Text Message & New Email etc.

Remove some of the pre-intstalled applications.

If I could do the above that would be great, although I do love the custom themes you gurus have made.

Thanks in Advance
Pete

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
If you are new to the iPhone (i.e. a 3G owner with 2.x.x software) then I would recommend you wait to jailbreak, especially if it is your first time. The iPhone software is in a state of flux right now as Apple tries to iron out some kinks. As every firmware upgrade will require you to rejailbreak, it's not the best time to jump in, in my opinion.

You will be able to do all those things you want to do once you jailbreak. I would just wait till September when 2.1 comes out and is jailbroken. Then hopefully we can all have some bug-free jailbreaking fun. I'm still on 1.1.4!

Pharry

Aug 19, 2008
Chelmsford - UK
Yes I am a new user, i believe I am on firmware 2.01 and iTunes is asking me to update as we speak. Fair comment on waiting for 2.1 to be released. So i guess reading from your post to perform any of the changes I hae to Jailbreak the phone regardless. I was trying to avoid doing that but I would like to customise my iPhone.

Thanks for your quick reply, I cant believe what gos on in the background on these forums, in some cases people must re-writing how the iphon works, incredible.

Thanks Again

OhWhyMe

Bronze
Jan 17, 2008
Jail Breaking does seem complicated at first but once you do it you'll see its really not bad. The programs that are out there make it so easy to jailbreak. Like the above poster said you may want to wait until some kinks are ironed out. I too am still on 1.1.4 and being jb is really the way to go if you are looking to customize.
Good luck

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
Where did you get the information on 2.1 arriving in September?
its a repeat of history, i do believe.

1.0 first
very soon, 1.0.1
soon thereafter, 1.0.2

and after a while, 1.1.1.

i think its going to be the same with 2.x