It chaps my hide.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
That's your excuse for charging over to BK and then to the McDonald's Twitter page to complain? Sorry, dude, but that's lame.
You may be right. But it wouldn't have been the first time that location suffers technical difficulties.

Just the other day, dude was like, "My soda machine is down, how may I help you?"

Perhaps I was preconditioned for disappointment, I dunno. Is that the proper psychological term?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
*Scans item and places it in the bag. "Unexpected item in bagging area. Please remove item."

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
You may be right. But it wouldn't have been the first time that location suffers technical difficulties.

Just the other day, dude was like, "My soda machine is down, how may I help you?"

Perhaps I was preconditioned for disappointment, I dunno. Is that the proper psychological term?
What technical difficulties?! The young lady told you they were serving breakfast all day. Sounds like you were having a common sense breakdown.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
*Scans item and places it in the bag. "Unexpected item in bagging area. Please remove item."
Those machines are a major pain in the rear! They were sent to this world by The Devil him- or herself.
Unknown.jpg

One or two items, fine, but anything more, no way. That is one of the few times in life when I prefer to go interact with the human than deal with technology.

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
FaceBook posts with links to stories that have statements like you'll never believe what happens next in them. You're right I don't believe it. Those stories are typically BS and people are full of crap.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
FaceBook posts with links to stories that have statements like you'll never believe what happens next in them. You're right I don't believe it. Those stories are typically BS and people are full of crap.
It's called like/share farming. Once they gather enough, they sell the sites. They often guilt people into likes. Facebook has turned to crap. We need something better to take its place. I'll just use Reddit, Twitter and iCloud Photo sharing for now.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
The web rewards quantity over quality. They have it down to a science. Algorithms that generate articles with headlines designed to pull in page views, and page layouts that try to encourage getting likes before even reading the story. So, plaster the web with cute kid, celebrity fail, cat video, or one weird pill that flattens your belly, et voila, the page is viewed, ad revenue is generated, money goes toward pumping out more of the junk ad infinitum, and a like is generated so that more and more people are bombarded, and the cycle continues.

The sadder part it's not just the algorithmic stuff like that--I feel like the quantity over quality emphasis infects much of what's left of journalism nowadays too. Maybe just, or maybe especially the tech industry, as that's all I tend to follow, but I get the feeling this could be said about a lot of things. All over the place, there are article factories that each pump out dozens of posts on the same exact news every day without adding any value, just in the interest of showing up in a Google search for that term and hoping to get 10 million people to regularly refresh the site. My Flipboard and Apple News will easily have a dozen or more versions of the same story from different sites, and they're pretty much just the same reports with a little different wording. It's sad, but it's money.

If the web sufficiently rewarded insightful commentary and valuable, exclusive content, maybe there'd be more of it and less of the noise.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
This has my hide chapped. They ruin a nice markup tool in Mail with kindergarten colors. Pink. PINK! REALLY? Jeez! No red in a mark up tool? For real? SMH!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446519782.930797.jpg

The black looks real nice.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Either way sux on the markup tool. It should be red.

View attachment 43472
I'm so happy with Skitch that I couldn't be bothered with Apple's built-in markup tool. You should give it a try if you haven't.

And yes, Skitch yes has juicy, bright, hot red—as red as the oxygenated blood that flows through my arteries.

Wanna see?

IMG_0281.jpg

It has a built-in camera app. You can take a photo and proceed right to marking it up immediately afterwards.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I'm so happy with Skitch that I couldn't be bothered with Apple's built-in markup tool. You should give it a try if you haven't.

And yes, Skitch yes has juicy, bright, hot red—as red as the oxygenated blood that flows through my arteries.

Wanna see?

View attachment 43475

It has a built-in camera app. You can take a photo and proceed right to marking it up immediately afterwards.
I've had Skitch a long time. I also use Pinpoint. It used to be called Bugshot.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Alright, since I've done a couple of old man rants on FB, here's another. Why the HELL do people use their speakerphone to have a conversation?? I was at Walmart today and this lady was using her speakerphone to have a LOUD conversation with someone. We don't want to hear every detail of your mundane life spilled out loud for the store to hear. Put the goddam phone to your ear LIKE EVERYONE ELSE in the world and have a PRIVATE conversation. End rand.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
People who listen in on your private phone conversations at work and then start asking you questions about it when getting off the phone or try give you advice about what they heard, wanting to know who your talking about
Were they already sitting right next to you working when you made the call? If so, are you expecting them to get up and take a break or cover their ears? They might just be making small talk or feel obligated to comment if you made the call in front of them.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
In my working days if I needed to make or take a private call I would make sure it truly was private or return the call later. Like hondamaker, I find it irritating and inconsiderate to be privy to a private call when the person making the call knows I am within earshot and makes no attempt to lower their voice or walk out of the room.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
When I enter my password using either the predictive feature that enters it all at once, or using shortcuts, it doesn't work. After its entered, it says it is invalid. Then I have to enter it again character by character. I have discovered I can back it up one character (the m), and add it back manually and then it works. I don't see the point of using Keychain or shortcuts if it's just going to say it's invalid.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Anyone with a dual-monitor setup should be familiar with this annoying "feature." I have a second monitor which I use sparingly. Occasionally, I move a Finder folder (and sometimes, an application) to the second monitor, I use it, and I close it, but I forget to move the window back to the main monitor.

Then another day you're working with just your main monitor, and have your second monitor off, and you open that folder or application which was closed while it was on the second monitor.

It could be a day, a week, or even months later, but OS X always remembers that the folder or application was on the second monitor when it was closed, and it opens it there, on the second monitor—but the monitor is off! You can't see it! You can't do anything with it!

You then have to stretch your arm all the way to the power button of the second monitor and turn the monitor on in order to see the folder and move it back to the main monitor! This chaps my hide! And yes, I know, First-World Problem.

I know there are utilities out there that help move the folder back without having to turn the monitor on, but I have not invested the time to find one that suits me. I can find the right utility when I choose to invest the effort; I don't need suggestions on apps that do that, at the moment.

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
Anyone with a dual-monitor setup should be familiar with this annoying "feature." I have a second monitor which I use sparingly. Occasionally, I move a Finder folder (and sometimes, an application) to the second monitor, I use it, and I close it, but I forget to move the window back to the main monitor.

Then another day you're working with just your main monitor, and have your second monitor off, and you open that folder or application which was closed while it was on the second monitor.

It could be a day, a week, or even months later, but OS X always remembers that the folder or application was on the second monitor when it was closed, and it opens it there, on the second monitor—but the monitor is off! You can't see it! You can't do anything with it!

You then have to stretch your arm all the way to the power button of the second monitor and turn the monitor on in order to see the folder and move it back to the main monitor! This chaps my hide! And yes, I know, First-World Problem.

I know there are utilities out there that help move the folder back without having to turn the monitor on, but I have not invested the time to find one that suits me. I can find the right utility when I choose to invest the effort; I don't need suggestions on apps that do that, at the moment.
I agree with you. This chaps my hide as well. I have a Dell laptop that I use for work and I have dual monitors with a docking station in my home office and my office at work and whenever I go to customer meetings I have to remember to move one of my programs to my main monitor or I can't use it during the customer meeting.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
That there's no way to Zoom up the mobile view of most sites. You can zoom the full/desktop view, but not mobile view. That's just one if the reasons I prefer desktop view over mobile view. Then I run into sites that won't change from mobile view to desktop, no matter how hard I tap the share sheet to do so. I'm not a fan of mobile view for mobile.