It chaps my hide.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I have this friend who never seems to be able to send one lone SMS message. Even though it’s something that could comfortably fit on one SMS, he breaks it down into five to seven shorter texts. I always know it’s him when I hear the Text Tone going off multiple times back-to-back.

Here’s a somewhat exaggerated example of what he does:

Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 3.36.36 PM.png

Dude, it’s 2016. You can probably fit the entire text of War and Peace in a single SMS! Stop making my phone make all that noise!

Don’t Chap My Hide!

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I have this friend who never seems to be able to send one lone SMS message. Even though it’s something that could comfortably fit on one SMS, he breaks it down into five to seven shorter texts. I always know it’s him when I hear the Text Tone going off multiple times back-to-back.

Here’s a somewhat exaggerated example of what he does:

View attachment 44477

Dude, it’s 2016. You can probably fit the entire text of War and Peace in a single SMS! Stop making my phone make all that noise!
Hey, just be happy you have a friend. :D

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I was just at the grocery store, a small Hispanic grocery store here in Miami. The product I sought was still sold out even though I’d been told it would arrive today.

So I walk to the register with the intention of asking the cashier if she knew if there was any of the product in the storeroom.

The cashier is not at her station; she’s off chatting or doing God-knows-what, but she’s not too far away. I can see her.

I wait a minute or two, and a female customer arrives—after me. She asks me if I’ve been helped yet. I replied, “No.”

The cashier makes her way back to the cash register and that customer suddenly starts talking to the cashier, as if I had just suddenly vanished into smoke like Pokémon do in the game when one fails to catch them within a given amount of time.

I interrupted, “Hey, I was here first.”

She said, “Oh, I just have a question.”

I said, “So do I.”

The ***** had to back down and I proceeded to ask my question first.

I understand that sometimes, people may be in a hurry. They may urgently need to get in front of me in line for whatever reason. If they ask me nicely—or heck, at the very least civilly—99.9% of the time I’m more than happy to oblige.

But don’t just pretend I’m invisible. Or that you’re more important than I am.

My Hide was extremely Chapped.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
The product I sought was still sold out even though I’d been told it would arrive today.
Maybe it had arrived but had already sold out again? ;)

But yeah, I get chapped too when that kind of thing happens. It really chaps my hide when you're standing in a long checkout line and another cashier opens another lane and announces "I can take the next person over here." Inevitably the person who just walked up to the back of the line you've been waiting in, and are actually "next" in, swoops over to the newly opened checkout lane. Similarly, when waiting for a self checkout station to become free, and someone who thinks they're more important than you tries to cut in line...not on my watch!

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
That pop-up warning in Pokémon GO that appears just a little bit too often when you're traveling too fast really chaps my hide. Why not just have a Terms & Conditions document that you have to agree to ONCE when you first start playing? And put in a clause that goes something like this: "I agree that I will not hold Niantic responsible for any injuries incurred as a result of playing Pokémon GO." Once! Sign it once and forget it! It's a real annoyance to those of us who don't drive and play! Why aren't people held accountable for their own stupid actions anymore? If you feel like you can play and drive at the same time, go for it! Godspeed!

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
That's the most stupid statement I've seen in a long time. Do you drive?
May I ask why you think it’s a stupid statement? I feel that stupid is a harsh word, but I would like to hear what’s making you label my post as such. (Thank you for not hitting the Dislike button!)

I was stating I am bothered by a pop-up that PAUSES the game and tells me something that is completely obvious and dangerous. And why am I getting this unneeded pop-up box? Because apparently there exist people who think they can drive and play Pokémon GO at the same time. And my own brain would tell me that driving and playing Pokémon Go is dangerous. It’s a given. Now, my post was to state my opinion that whoever “thinks” they can handle driving and playing Pokémon GO at the same time, let them go for it! Why should companies have to coddle people? Why in the world if someone has an accident while attempting to drive and use an app at the same time should the company that made the app be held liable?

To answer your question, yes, I have a valid license. I’m perfectly able to drive, with the exception that I never get the highways (i.e. I-95). Driving on those is too stressful for me and, mentally, I can’t handle it. I go into panic mode.

But yes, I can drive perfectly anywhere else. I have owned a vehicle in the past and used it daily and drove long distances to my own job, or to drop off my partner at his job and pick him up later. Never had an accident.

When you buy a bottle of wine, there are no warnings on the bottle (i.e. please don’t drink this and drive while under the influence). You don’t get a pop-up while you’re drinking it to warn you of the dangers of drinnking and engaging in certain activities while under its influence. You buy the bottle of wine and whatever happens to you while you drink it is your fault. Boom. Plain and simple. I think the same mentality should be applied to apps. Am I stupid for believing that?

Addendum: When people drive and text, if they get into an accident because of doing that, and they’re using, say, an iPhone, is Apple at fault if the person gets into an accident? Obivously not! So why is it that Niantic should feel so afraid of being sued that they have to insert that pop-up that disturbs your gameplay every 20 or 30 minutes or so? It bothers those of us who are sane enough not to do that. I don’t know about everyone else, but to me, it’s just instinctive—driving and playing Pokémon GO simultaneously is not safe.

Last edited:

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Honestly I'm baffled by the level of thought you devote to the Pokémon Go game Rafagon. You've shared your challenges here but as an outsider I can tell that this game is probably not helping you though you may feel it is. I just can't understand how a seemingly intelligent and insightful person can fall in that dark pit wasting his life away. And yes I believe warnings on the dangers of certain products is crucial to the wellbeing of many that may not have your level of intellect to understand the risks. Respectfully submitted.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Honestly I'm baffled by the level of thought you devote to the Pokémon Go game Rafagon. You've shared your challenges here but as an outsider I can tell that this game is probably not helping you though you may feel it is. I just can't understand how a seemingly intelligent and insightful person can fall in that dark pit wasting his life away. And yes I believe warnings on the dangers of certain products is crucial to the wellbeing of many that may not have your level of intellect to understand the risks. Respectfully submitted.
I appreciate your post and your thoughts. I can understand where you’re coming from. I cannot say I totally disagree with your point of view 100%. You’ve brought up some good points.

But the game has given me many hours of pleasure. And even more when I listen to my music while playing the game. It’s gotten me out of the house. My lifestyle has been less sedentary than before. There’s a lady at a local grocery store that says I’ve lost a lot of weight. I think “wasting his life away” is a bit out extreme, but hey, if it enhances my mental well-being, why not continue playing?

As far as my statement regarding the pop-up warnings that are intrusive, I have no desire to change how I feel about that. I feel people should be responsible enough to play the game, well, responsibly. It would be very sad if someone got into an accident while playing this game, of course. But why should that be the app creator’s fault?

And of course, if the device itself is dangerous and it’s absolutely not the user’s fault when things go awry, like the Samsung Galaxy Note 7, then yes, Samsung is responsible for injuries to the user and damages to his or her property.

This is a Chaps My Hide thread, so I was just posting about something that Chaps My Hide. That is my opinion and I’m only saying how I feel; I’m not trying to force my point of view on anyone. All members here have a right to their own opinion, and I’m always happy to hear everyone out.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I was stating I am bothered by a pop-up that PAUSES the game and tells me something that is completely obvious and dangerous. And why am I getting this unneeded pop-up box?
For the same reason I get a dialog box for my infotainment system in my 2015 Mazda 3 asking if I understand the dangers of operating the system while driving. It used to pop up every time I started the car. I've since "jailbroken" the system and eliminated the box. It's a shame you can't do the same. ;)

Mazda, and I'm sure other companies, including Niantic, do this because someone else may be driving my car, or playing your game. It's a legal catch-all. Better get used to it.

Last edited:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
For the same reason I get a dialog box for my infotainment system in my 2015 Mazda 3 asking if I understand the dangers of operating the system while driving. It used to pop up every time I started the car. I've since "jailbroken" the system and eliminated the box. It's a shame you can't do the same. ;)

Mazda, and I'm sure other companies, including Niantic, do this because someone else may be driving my car, or playing your game. It's a legal catch-all. Better get used to it.
Ahh, see what I mean, the thing was annoying enough that you went through the trouble of “jailbreaking” that infotainment system in your vehicle. I’m glad that, at the very least, you seem to agree that these types of pop-ups can get annoying.

But yeah, I’ll get used to it, since apparently I don’t have a choice. I wish the pop-up would at least beep or make the phone vibrate when it shows that window, so that I know it has popped up and paused my game. If I’m not looking at my phone’s screen when that box pops up (i.e. I may be crossing a busy street so my attention is focused on that), the game gets paused until I look at the screen, notice the warning, and dismiss the pop-up. It’s a game where almost every step you take counts, depending on what you’re doing in the game. For example, you may be required to walk 5 km to hatch an egg. I assume while that pop-up is displayed and until it gets dismissed, any walking I do before dismissing it doesn’t count towards that 5 km requirement. (But I’m not 100% sure about that.)

Like I said, I like my idea of having the user agree to a disclaimer one single time when he or she first begins playing the game. I wish that one time would be sufficient for Niantic’s peace of mind.

There are dozens of articles out there that share my opinion that the pop-up is annoying, and they give you hints to try to avoid getting it, like this article here. But I haven’t found any way to get rid of that warning once and for all just yet, and, of course, if it requires jailbreaking or even side loading an unsanctioned patch, I will not even touch it.

Bottom line is I can live with it. I don’t have to be happy about it, but it isn’t going to make me lose sleep.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I have to vent. Apple is doing something I hate. It really Chaps My Hide. A lot of app developers do this. If they add a tiny feature or fix one little bug in an app update, they post the additions and enhancements from the previous update as if they were coming from the new update. Read the statement:

iOS 10.1.1 introduces new feature and improvements including:

Camera and Photos

Introduces Portrait Camera for iPhone 7 Plus that creates a depth effect that keeps your subject sharp while creating a beautifully blurred background (beta)

Ths is FALSE. This is not being introduced in iOS 10.1.1. This was introduced in iOS 10.1. But because they don’t want to write a single tiny change (the Health app fix), they include previous stuff.

Apple: If your iOS update only introduces one single feature or one single bug fix, then just list that. Don’t pad the changelog with old stuff!

Screen Shot 2016-11-01 at 7.13.57 PM.png

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
When there's a somewhat small enclosed space, like a waiting room at a doctor's office, and everybody is quiet or speaking in a low voice, and there's the one idiot who makes a phone call on his cell and he's speaking at full volume, ruining the peace and quiet, seemingly oblivious to the setting.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
When there's a somewhat small enclosed space, like a waiting room at a doctor's office, and everybody is quiet or speaking in a low voice, and there's the one idiot who makes a phone call on his cell and he's speaking at full volume, ruining the peace and quiet, seemingly oblivious to the setting.
I had that happen once and was so annoyed that I asked the lady to put it on speakerphone so we could at least listen to both sides of the conversation rather than just her. She got a very annoyed look on her face and took the conversation outside to the entry hall and away from the rest of us.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I had that happen once and was so annoyed that I asked the lady to put it on speakerphone so we could at least listen to both sides of the conversation rather than just her. She got a very annoyed look on her face and took the conversation outside to the entry hall and away from the rest of us.
Love it!!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Ppl hoo rite lik dis and say wit instead of with. Makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Ppl hoo rite lik dis and say wit instead of with. Makes me want to gouge my eyes out.
I have a hard time believing you, as smart and professional as you are, associate with anyone who writes like that.

Update: Oops… You never said your friends or acquaintances write like that. You probably just encounter it out there at random.

Last edited:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I have a hard time believing you, as smart and professional as you are, associate with anyone who writes like that.

Update: Oops… You never said your friends or acquaintances write like that. You probably just encounter it out there at random.
On the internet, not in my professional life and never in my castle.