It chaps my hide.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
It has probably been posted here before but it is just so [insert your favorite string of profanity here] frustrating. ROBO CALLS!! I have finally taken to making my outgoing message say that if I don't recognize the caller id number I will not answer so leave a message. If they don't leave a message or if the message is from someone I don't know or don't want to know then I block the number. There isn't much more anyone can do besides turn off the phone.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It has probably been posted here before but it is just so [insert your favorite string of profanity here] frustrating. ROBO CALLS!! I have finally taken to making my outgoing message say that if I don't recognize the caller id number I will not answer so leave a message. If they don't leave a message or if the message is from someone I don't know or don't want to know then I block the number. There isn't much more anyone can do besides turn off the phone.
Have you registered your phone number here? It's helps a lot. You have to re-register every few years.
https://www.donotcall.gov/register/reg.aspx

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
I've had all my numbers on the Do-Not-Call list since its inception. I've also reregistered periodically to be sure they hadn't been removed. It worked for a few years until the illegal robo callers started spoofing numbers.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
I've had all my numbers on the Do-Not-Call list since its inception. I've also reregistered periodically to be sure they hadn't been removed. It worked for a few years until the illegal robo callers started spoofing numbers.

This has been chapping my hide a lot lately too! I re-registered on the do-not-call list about 6 months ago and it's done no good. Someone suggested getting a new number and I'm almost to the point of doing that. The list of blocked numbers on my iPhone is very long, but I still get the same robo calls, 90% of them being my "final notice" to reduce my credit card interest rates. :mad:

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
Judging by what I see on Facebook and other public forums, this is still very much a hot button issue for a lot of folks. Those of us who are not tech challenged are almost as frustrated as those who are because there really isn't anything short of turning off or unplugging the phone to stop it. Although I must admit that occasionally it's fun to string along "Rachel from Card Services" as far as possible then tell her to do unthinkable things with a cactus just before hanging up.

Have you registered your phone number here? It's helps a lot. You have to re-register every few years.
https://www.donotcall.gov/register/reg.aspx
Verified my number at the site above, they confirmed via email that I registered in 2007.

:mad: What chaps MY hide is that the politicians exempted themselves from this list (including all political organizations, charities and pollsters), and they can robocall at will!

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
It totally Chaps My Hide when CVS has one of their DirecTV promotions. They stick one of these pamphlets in each and every bag with your stuff. If your purchases requires 20 bags, then you get 20 of these damn phamphlets that you have to discard when you get home, and they are a nuisance. Here’s the one they’re promoting now. What a waste of paper and trees.

CVSPromotionDirectTV.jpg

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
It totally Chaps My Hide when CVS has one of their DirecTV promotions. They stick one of these pamphlets in each and every bag with your stuff. If your purchases requires 20 bags, then you get 20 of these damn phamphlets that you have to discard when you get home, and they are a nuisance. Here’s the one they’re promoting now. What a waste of paper and trees.

View attachment 45060
When you pay for your stuff, ask the sales clerk to remove any promotional pamphlets from your bag/bags. Then say, "Thank you!".

Reactions: Rafagon
Who gets 20 bags of stuff from a CVS? Really?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
This has been chapping my hide a lot lately too! I re-registered on the do-not-call list about 6 months ago and it's done no good. Someone suggested getting a new number and I'm almost to the point of doing that. The list of blocked numbers on my iPhone is very long, but I still get the same robo calls, 90% of them being my "final notice" to reduce my credit card interest rates. :mad:
Are you reporting them to AT&T through the messaging app? That worked for me.
https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1009046

Reactions: Kadelic

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Yes, believe it or not, people do get twenty bags’ worth of stuff from CVS.

Otherwise, I wouldn’t have bothered to comment here.

Three or four pamphlets wouldn’t have bothered me.
I don't get that many bags of stuff at the supermarket. I rarely shop CVS. But at Rite Aid, I've never seen anyone with more than a couple of bags. Maybe one or two more during the holidays.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
When you pay for your stuff, ask the sales clerk to remove any promotional pamphlets from your bag/bags. Then say, "Thank you!".
I think I’ll try that. Heck, I’ll remove the promotional crap from the bags myself and give it right back to them. I don’t care if it makes me look like an a-hole. I’m the customer—and you know the saying—the customer is always right.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Being downwind from a cigarette smoker. That really Chaps My Hide.

I respect anyone and everyone’s right to smoke. But don’t expose me to your extremely disgusting cigarette smoke.

Last edited:

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
I think I’ll try that. Heck, I’ll remove the promotional crap from the bags myself and give it right back to them. I don’t care if it makes me look like an a-hole. I’m the customer—and you know the saying—the customer is always right.
Not if you're being an a-hole, you aren't!

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
You're a good guesser.

And I often share that same sense of entitlement, but I've found that playing nice in the sandbox works much better then being an a-hole.

Reactions: Rafagon

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's all in the way you go about it. You can kindly ask for no ads in your bags or get all worked up about it. Remember, it's their job to do this. Just try to imagine if you were tasked to do it and had to deal with rude people.

Regarding the saying, it's not about the customer being right, it's about making them feel like they are right. They aren't necessarily right, it's just not good business to tell them they are wrong. It's easier to get money from people when you let them be right. The saying itself is a sales tactic, not a business principle.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
It's all in the way you go about it. You can kindly ask for no ads in your bags or get all worked up about it. Remember, it's their job to do this. Just try to imagine if you were tasked to do it and had to deal with rude people.

Regarding the saying, it's not about the customer being right, it's about making them feel like they are right. They aren't necessarily right, it's just not good business to tell them they are wrong. It's easier to get money from people when you let them be right. The saying itself is a sales tactic, not a business principle.
You’re right; it’s not the cashiers’ fault. It’s not even the store manager’s fault. It’s corporate’s fault for thinking that sticking one of those damn pamphlets in each and every bag was a good idea.

I would take those pamphlets into my restroom and repurpose them there, but I would feel bad doing that to Chris Evans. :)

CVSPromotionDirectTV.jpg

By the way, earlier on in the thread someone said “Who gets 20 bags of stuff from a CVS?” I should have mentioned one little detail: They give you these inconveniently small shopping bags—at least at the CVS in my area. That’s why even a modest-sized purchase requires an inordinate number of bags. This small bag is the one you get by default, even if using the larger one (which they do have) would be more efficient. The cashiers seem rather fond of the little bags. Probably just another mandate from corporate. The large ones must cost them a few extra pennies.