It doesn't get much worse than this for an iPhone owner...

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Horrible story here. So I was at a store purchasing a suit. When I came out, I had my wallet and iPhone in hand as I was reading a text message. When I got to my car, I set my phone on top of my wallet, and my wallet on top of the car, so at this point my iPhone and wallet are on top of my car. I proceed to put my clothing articles in the car and drive off forgetting whats on my roof. So I'm entering a toll road at a fast rate, and I hear something fall off my roof. I instantly $*%( my pants and pulled over. I ran back down the highway and find it was my wallet that fell off. It stuck on the roof for a while as it was leather. My iPhone however, was nowhere to be found. I retraced my drive and didn't see it anywhere. To be honest, I rather have lost my wallet then my phone.

Alas, my iPhone is pretty much gone. I was an original owner of the phone and paid $599 + tax. It got damaged so I had to get a refurbished one and was charged $250 + tax. I then upgraded to the 3G one for $299 + tax, and sold my old one to my roomie for $350. Then, to cancel subscription with Sprint to switch to AT&T I paid $175. So all in all I paid over $1075 and I pretty much have nothing to show for it. It is a sad day...as I have reverted back to some POS slide phone.

Just thought I'd share.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Wow dude, that is pretty horrific. I am really sorry for your loss!

Are there any prospects for you getting another iPhone? You've worked so hard at it, it would be a shame to be out of the game for a silly accident like this.

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Wow dude, that is pretty horrific. I am really sorry for your loss!

Are there any prospects for you getting another iPhone? You've worked so hard at it, it would be a shame to be out of the game for a silly accident like this.
In the future, *maybe* but its doubtful for at least a long while as I would have to pay full retail price until sometime in 2009 if I'm lucky. I am missing the iPod feature of it so I think I'm going to get an iPod at least for music listening purposes. I am just not rich enough to dish out another $500 on this iPhone :(

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I'm so sorry to hear about this! It sounds lame, but I have no idea what I'd do without my iPhone. If I ever lost it, I'd sell a kidney if I had to in order to get a new one. :D

I hope you can get a new one sooner than expected!

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
I'm so sorry to hear about this! It sounds lame, but I have no idea what I'd do without my iPhone. If I ever lost it, I'd sell a kidney if I had to in order to get a new one. :D

I hope you can get a new one sooner than expected!
Yeah, I feel naked without it, hence why I rather have lost my wallet and kept my phone. Also, it had so much private information...thousands of texts with my ex, corporate email, pictures, videos, etc. Thankfully I have a password on it after 5 minutes, so after 5 minutes they shouldn't be able to access it. I wonder if I contact Apple if they would be able to prevent the phone from being activated again? I probably made some homeless guy jizz his pants...oh well lol. I mean seriously, imagine being homeless and finding that thing.

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
I feel your pain. You didn't scratch the paint on the roof of that red porche when the iPhone slid off, did you?
Hah, not quite. My Dad's on AT&T and they both have first generation iPhones...I'm going to see if he'll let me upgrade one of the iPhones to the 3G at the $299 price and then just let me use the 3G one. I think that would work (use both iPhones). Can anyone provide further detail into this idea?

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
IS that your Carrera? I like the color, I don't see red that often.

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
IS that your Carrera? I like the color, I don't see red that often.
No :( It's a 911 turbo with an aftermarket spoiler it looks like. I drive an '06 accord.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Sorry, I say Carrera to mean 911 Carrera, not the GT. I would have to get another iPhone cause I love the thing so much! How is it without one?

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Sorry, I say Carrera to mean 911 Carrera, not the GT. I would have to get another iPhone cause I love the thing so much! How is it without one?
Bad for the most part as I miss the music. Its nice not getting exchange mail every minute from my company though. I miss the music and texting the most I would have to say. Also, its a pain in the *** to transfer contacts from outlook into some crappy slide phone.

Question -- My Dad is on AT&T and is eligible for the 3G upgrade. Can he upgrade to the 3G for the discounted price, then I buy it from him, and have him put his SIM card in the 2G iPhone and not have to pay the extra $10 for 3G data?

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Bad for the most part as I miss the music. Its nice not getting exchange mail every minute from my company though. I miss the music and texting the most I would have to say. Also, its a pain in the *** to transfer contacts from outlook into some crappy slide phone.

Question -- My Dad is on AT&T and is eligible for the 3G upgrade. Can he upgrade to the 3G for the discounted price, then I buy it from him, and have him put his SIM card in the 2G iPhone and not have to pay the extra $10 for 3G data?
If you do get it to work be careful. AT&T will probably charge you some crazy data charges for using 3g with no plan. Mark

BTW: My heart goes out to you.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
my only problem is having my phone on my lap and i get out of the car and it falls on the ground. Did it three times but no harm inside or out. I keep it in the center console now.

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
my only problem is having my phone on my lap and i get out of the car and it falls on the ground. Did it three times but no harm inside or out. I keep it in the center console now.
Done that way too many times to count. On my old 2G iPhone, the touchscreen stopped working, and Apple wouldn't honor the warranty as it had more then "normal wear and tear" so I had to dish out another $250 for a refurbished iPhone.

Oh well.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
It's funny how you eventually learn. I did the same thing almost a dozen times with my first iPhone. In its case, I felt it was handling it well. Then my camera went all weird on me.

I now have a dash mount for it.

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
It's funny how you eventually learn. I did the same thing almost a dozen times with my first iPhone. In its case, I felt it was handling it well. Then my camera went all weird on me.

I now have a dash mount for it.
I got a case for it after the refurbished one. When I got the new 3G iPhone, my old case didn't fit and I never got around to buying one. I only dropped it once surprisingly during my ownership, but you'd think I would've learned my lesson and bought a case for it. It also makes me wonder...if it had a rubber case, it may of stuck to the roof longer as my wallet did and maybe I wouldn't have lost it?

Who knows..

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
That sucks man. Why not stick with AT&T though? At least finish your contract.

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
That sucks... I don't know what I would do if I lost or severly damaged my iPhone. I love my phone! My mom always jokes around w/me saying she has never seen someone love their phone as much as I love mine;)

chrismmm

Silver
Dec 27, 2007
Gwinnett, Georgia
sorry to hear about your iPhone ! IMHO u r puttin too much money into these phones man..your better off with a POS phone until u feel like gettin another iPhone. no problem. don't sweat it. it happens to all of us at one time or another. hell if you asked around you could probably get someone on this forum to give u their old one. Especially after that story!
Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Oh, I'm definitely going to continue my contract. I do a lot of texting and email, so something besides this crappy slide phone is what I need :(