It doesn't look good for a Verizon iPhone

akasjl

Jun 26, 2007
I imagine with the soon to be released Voyager and Venus, the chances of a Verizon released iPhone are not looking good when the Apple deal with ATT expires. Thoughts and apologies in advance if this has been covered?

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Well, I reckon a couple of things:

Verizon turned down Apple the first time because they didn't agree with their terms, such as no subsidization or lowering of prices, no carrier warranty, buying music only through iTunes, etc. It's doubtful they'll change their minds.

There should be quite a few decent competing phones available before the two or five or whatever year exclusive ATT contract ends.

akasjl

Jun 26, 2007
Yeah, it's too bad b/c I firmly believe Verizon is the better service, but I'm a Mac guy and will switch when Apple comes out with the 2nd version of the iPhone.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
I don't think was really ever any chance of a Verizon iPhone since Verizon is a CDMA network and the iPhone is a GSM device.
Perhaps not now, but...

Apple went to Verizon after they were already working with Cingular, which means they originally planned to have both CDMA and GSM versions.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I'm sure a CDMA version will come out after the initial five year period. Apple's agreement with AT&T is that they won't release a CDMA version for the first five years. That doesn't mean they won't release another GSM version after two years for T-Mobile though.

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
........ after the 5 year agreement with AT&T.

2012 ... Seems like forever huh? Can you imagine the advancements in cell phone / communication technology? - based on what has happened in the past 5 years? Geez

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Perhaps not now, but...

Apple went to Verizon after they were already working with Cingular, which means they originally planned to have both CDMA and GSM versions.
Sorry for being such a dunce, but why would you want a CDMA iPhone over a GSM iPhone? Sorry I really don't know, and have no time to research the differences as of now...

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
Sorry for being such a dunce, but why would you want a CDMA iPhone over a GSM iPhone? Sorry I really don't know, and have no time to research the differences as of now...
The only reason I would switch back to CDMA is because Verizon is CDMA and they're coverage is better in Northern California. :eek:

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Plus Verizon is in-famous for locking everything out of the "customization" part of their phones.
Not their Windows Mobile PDA phones. People customize the heck out of them.

As for CDMA, you don't get that awful GSM buzz over your audio equipment, and you don't get as many dropped calls.... CDMA does a soft switchover between towers (it hooks to more than one at a time), whereas GSM does a hard switch (drops one before picking up the next).

They're all probably headed towards a combined version in the future.