It figures....

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Ok, so I got my first iPhone back in July. And it was replace due to battery not lasting very long.
iPhone number 2 lasted a little longer, but basically, same problems. It lasted maybe an hour more than the first one. whoopee. 6 hours of combined use, with very little BT and WiFi.
So, last weekend I go in and talk to the Apple Genius and they replace it again. 20 minutes after I left, I stopped off at Wendy's to get some dinner for me and the wife, and as I was leaving, the door handle hooked my phone and threw it down into the parking lot. My phone was under my jacket in my Vaja case. The way it was hooked, it twisted it out of my case so that my naked phone was what it the pavement.
I have a significant dent above the silence switch, the chrome bezel came off the upper right corner, and the back of the aluminum on the left side is no longer flush to the black plastic. Yes, it's kinda f@#$ed. The good news is that the bezel snapped back into place and except for the dent and the corner that isn't flush, everything else looks good.
Here's the real kicker. I've been testing the battery to see if I am going to have to take it in again (was kinda hoping that I could) and as of this morning, these are my stats:
Usage: 8 hours 15 minutes
standby: 2 days 4 hours
current call time: 1 hour 10 minutes
EDGE data sent: 256kb
received: 1.4

So great, my battery life is far superior to the other 2 phones so far, with usage at least 2 hours more that before, and I still have about 30-40% battery left! It's just that my case is a little fubar'd.

figures...

mernst

Silver
Jul 11, 2007
Gulfport, Ms
I get around: just an estimate:

Usage: 3 - 5 hours
standby: 2 days

the 3 hours is only if I'm using youtube with wifi and internet use ( HEAVY )

but if I'm listening to music and talking on the phone around 4 hours

but if just talking around 5 to 6 hours.....

is that good....?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I don't know. I can say that I don't talk that much. On rare occations, maybe I get a 30 minute call (mom) but other than that they are very short.
I would say that if you don't feel like you are getting the full bennefit of battery life from your phone, then make and appointment and take the phone in to Apple and have them replace it.
The best way to tell if you aren't getting the full life from the battery is to take a look at the approximate battery life that Apple lists, like 24 hours for ipod music, and match it against your use. If in 2 days you are listening to 4-5 hours of music, with an hour of phone, and another 30minutes to and hour of browsing, and then you have to charge again, then I would say that your battery is sub-par to what they are saying.
Granted that no one is going to use just one thing exclusively, so usage is a combined total, but I would say that if you are in minimal usage for everything, with brightness low and BT and WiFi off when you are not using them, and you are getting 5-6 hours in 2 days, I would go talk to Apple and see about replacing the phone.
Make sure that you are armed with usage data and that you have taken the appropriate steps to maximize battery life first, otherwise they could just blow you off saying that your usage is normal for you set of curcumstances.

Liv

Bronze
I had a hecka battery issue before. It would start getting to 10% battery left before I even got to the end of the day. I didn't talk on it much either, could not figure out what the heck caused it.

I don't know if I should take it in, to fix the problem I have my mail set to "manual" instead of every 15 minutes now. I figure when I am ready to read my email I will just have it download instead of automatically checking and killing my battery.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Checking your mail does kill the battery, but shouldn't be that bad.
I suggest setting it to manual, and start recording your usage from full charge to warning (20%), and then go make and appointment with an Apple genius or call into the support number.
make sure that you do everything you can to conserve battery too. WiFi off, BT off, brightness low...