IT help needed

odanrot

Jul 4, 2007
Hey guys,

Need some help. Our company uses blackberries and also is set up to allow other devices like Treos and Motorola Qs to access corporate email.

I called someone in our IT dept and asked about iPhone 3G support. They said sure, but it will take a while to get the servers set up. WTF?

Why wouldn't I be able to use the iPhone and activesync just like the Treos and the Motorola Q from day 1? Can any of you IT pros explain this to me?

Thanks!

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
I think your IT guys are just blowing you off. What probably needs to happen is the device may need to be added to the domain to let you "in."

Otherwise you should be able to access Exchange just by providing the relevant details (username, pass, domain, and exchange server address).

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
im sure you can, just wait until after launch to get all the acticsync info and details clear before you buy

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Hey guys,

Need some help. Our company uses blackberries and also is set up to allow other devices like Treos and Motorola Qs to access corporate email.

I called someone in our IT dept and asked about iPhone 3G support. They said sure, but it will take a while to get the servers set up. WTF?

Why wouldn't I be able to use the iPhone and activesync just like the Treos and the Motorola Q from day 1? Can any of you IT pros explain this to me?

Thanks!
There are some special instructions on Apple.com for IT professionals to deploy iPhones on their servers. Your guys aren't just blowing you off here. They have some work to do. Just make sure to point them to the proper information.

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
The guys in your IT department is either 1.) don't know how to support a iPhone (although it shouldn't be no different than any other non-blackberry device) or 2.) They are anti-iphone and hope to keep them off their server. I know a lot of Blackberry admins. who refuse to allow non-blackberry devices on their BES despite them being Blackberry Connect enabled.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
Hey guys,

Thanks!
I am running into the same thing. The question with my IT department is does the iPhone support the same technology that your IT department incorporates. My company uses something called LEAP and PEAP. I work for a large hospital so security and confidentiality are huge with our IT department

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I am running into the same thing. The question with my IT department is does the iPhone support the same technology that your IT department incorporates. My company uses something called LEAP and PEAP. I work for a large hospital so security and confidentiality are huge with our IT department
Just make sure to download all the documents on this page, and they should be able to tell whether or not they can do it.

iPhone Integration in Enterprise

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
Just make sure to download all the documents on this page, and they should be able to tell whether or not they can do it.

iPhone Integration in Enterprise
Thanks. I have actually read this whole thing trying to figure it out. I talked to our IT department, and they just are not sure yet. They were unable to get into the BETA program so they didn't get a head start in getting it ready to go. Hope it works evetually. Although, I don't like the idea of paying $45 for enterprise, when I am currently only paying $15 through Sprint for the same service

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Thanks. I have actually read this whole thing trying to figure it out. I talked to our IT department, and they just are not sure yet. They were unable to get into the BETA program so they didn't get a head start in getting it ready to go. Hope it works evetually. Although, I don't like the idea of paying $45 for enterprise, when I am currently only paying $15 through Sprint for the same service
I understand. I'm not happy about paying $45 either, but it looks more and more likely that that is the case.