It is possible to show a unified browsing history (for all tabs) on Safari?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Rafagon, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Most of my heavy-duty browsing takes place on OS X Safari. Recently, I was using iOS Safari on my iPhone and wanted to look up a website I had visited. It was nowhere to be found, yet I knew for a fact I had visited that site. After fiddling around a bit, I learned something I didn't previously know about iOS Safari: Each separate tab you have open keeps a history of sites visited on that tab only.

The OS X implementation of Safari doesn't do that... every website you've visited on any and all tabs appears in one single, unified history when you click on History > Show History, or when you click on any given date displayed lower in that menu:

OS_X_Safari_history.jpg

This, IMHO, is the more logical and productive way to show the user his or her browsing history.

Is there a way to make iOS Safari behave just like OS X Safari and provide one unified history for all pages visited on all tabs?

I went to Settings > Safari on iOS and can't seem to find an option to accomplish this.

If Settings > Safari has an option to "Clear History and Website Data" which clears all histories from all tabs, open or closed, why wouldn't iOS provide a way to display all of my browsing history from all tabs (open or closed) in one unified place?

Incidentally, what I'm doing to show history on iOS Safari is to tap and hold the < button on the toolbar at the bottom of the Safari app. Maybe this is why I'm only getting the history from the particular tab I'm using at the moment, and there's a different method to display browsing history from all tabs in one place? I hope I'm just missing something obvious here!

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Click the bookmark icon at the bottom of the page in Safaria on iOS and then select History. It will be listed on top of your bookmarks.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Thank you very much. I think I see why I was blissfully unaware of the existence of this method for viewing iOS Safari full web browsing history:

It stands to reason that I was on that screen you showed me how to get to and I tapped on Favorites. This must've happened very soon after I started using my 6+. So every time I tapped on the Bookmarks icon, I was seeing the only the bookmarks that sync to OS X Safari's Favorites Bar.

I totally failed to see that on the upper left-hand corner of that screen was the button "< Bookmarks".

I gained two things thanks to your very helpful reply... access to my full, "unified" history (as I'm calling it), and access to all my bookmarks and not simply those on my Favorites bar.