It says it's charged but it's not..

Rylz(:

Aug 6, 2011
Okay so the other day I downloaded new software for my iPod touch and now all of the sudden when I charge it it gets to about 70% done and says it's fully charged. Why does it do that? It still has about 30% to go and says it's done. I don't know if it is because I downloaded the software on it/updated it whatever but it's driving me crazy!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Run it down till it shuts off then leave it on the charger over-night. It should reset.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Ok, I have only one other suggestion. Restore it again. Whatever you updated to needs to be reinstalled.
If THAT doesn't work, then you need to make a trip to Apple and have them run diagnostics on it to see what is wrong. Even if it's out of warranty. It will at least give you a direction to go.
If it's out of warranty, restoring doesn't fix it, and Apple says you need a new battery, weigh your options. It's going to be about $80 to have Apple replace your battery. It's cheaper to have another company do it. I personally recommend ipodjuice.com, since 1) they warranty the battery for 10 years. Yes, 10 YEARS! and secondly, 2) their most expensive options of shipping back and forth between you and them comes to $48. Compare that to $78 Apple charges.
Here is a link to their service page for the 3rd gen iPod Touch:
http://www.ipodjuice.com/3rd-generation-ipod-touch-battery-replacement.htm

Hopefully, restoring will take care of the problem, but if not, have Apple test it and find out what is wrong.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Oh, one last thing. Don't use the ipsw file you recently downloaded to update to. Find that file and delete it and re-download the firmware again, just to make sure you have a fresh version.

Rylz(:

Aug 6, 2011
Could it be the charger? It charged all the way on the computer last night and I unplugged it with the one it was on today and used my momma's and it charged the rest of the way, no problems.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Definitely could be the charger- especially if its working with one and not the other.

altjx

Bronze
Oct 21, 2009
www.altonjsupport.net
I think I've experienced this problem before and it turned out to be my charger. Most of us like to get those $0.75 chargers from ebay (including myself), lol. I experience issues like this so often man.

Jul 20, 2011
yes, that is a sure way to the battery on track of any of these gadgetries these days. Well, if that does not work really fine or the problem remains for long term, the best way ahead is to get rid of the battery because you know battery has a life and frequent charging reduces that.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
yes, that is a sure way to the battery on track of any of these gadgetries these days. Well, if that does not work really fine or the problem remains for long term, the best way ahead is to get rid of the battery because you know battery has a life and frequent charging reduces that.
Brad, which post are you responding to? Your post seems a bit out of place, since the solution was the charger the OP was using was bad.
As far as suggesting to someone to "get rid of the battery", this is horrible advice. Especially since the battery meter was a symptom and not the problem.
Lithium Polymer batteries have around 400 complete cycles before their charge capacity drops to around 80%. they will easily last 2 years, if not longer.
If you use 30% of the battery, and then charge it back to 100%, you've only used 30% of a complete cycle. You have to do that 2.33 times more to make a full charge cycle. I plug my phone in every night and my battery is fine after 13 months of ownership.
Please don't make those kind of suggestions to someone unless you are knowledgeable about the subject. You are right that the batteries have a life, but the life will last a lot longer than the average user will have the phone. Also, Lithium Polymer batteries perform BETTER when they are constantly topped off. If you have the opportunity to charge, you SHOULD. It helps battery performance. LiPoly batteries need to have the electrons constantly flowing for optimal performance.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
^^^^ Glad the links don't work, wrong coding I guess... But what does a banking website have to do with the forum it's posted in?

Sent from my iPhone