It was bound to happen...

Boatski

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Just noticed 3 tiny scratches on my 3G's screen.

Not sure when or how it happened :(

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Sorry to hear that. IMO a case and a screen cover are must haves asap with the iPhone. A lot of people like to go bare with the phone, but not me. I have a clear Agent 18 case so the beauty of the phone still shows. Also the screen cover from the Apple Store

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
Did youhave a diamond in your pocket?

Odd...I even took my own keys to my 1st 3Gs screen....never did anything.

I since have wrapped my new 3G in InvisibleShield, however....just in case that unthinkable would happen.....plus I like the sleek, smooth black backside.....oh yeah. It keeps that nice an pretty, without risk of scratches and blemishes.

Boatski

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Not really worried about it.

I think the small button deal next to my pocket on my jeans did it though.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
i just noticed a couple scratches on my 3g screen as well. I wonder if the 3g screens are not as resistant as the 1st gen iPhones. I had 3 1st gen iPhones and never a screen scratch. I have one small one right in the middle of my 3g :( Looks like it's time for a screen protector.

Jul 20, 2008
I got a pack of those screen protectors when I bought the phone and put one on before I did anything else with the phone. I now have a tiny dent in the screen protector, which I can only assume would have been a scratch or dent on my screen. I think the screen protectors are a must, I don't really care much if the back gets scratched, but the touch screen needs to stay clear and functional.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
This makes me rethink my plan of not using the invisible shield on the front of my iPhone 3G.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
This makes me rethink my plan of not using the invisible shield on the front of my iPhone 3G.

I'm telling you, InvisibleShield really does not interfere with the clarity of my screen at all. In fact, I find finger smudges to not be as prevalent either. I'd say just do it to be safe.

scudder

Bronze
Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
The good news is that opening the 3G is a breeze compared to the original, two screws and an opening tool does the trick. Replacement glass screens are also going to be a piece of cake to fit as the digitiser and LCD are not glued to the glass as per original. Won't be long until Fleabay, CNN and iFixit have them in stock, some other spare parts are already in stock. Glass for original iPhone could be bought for a few £/$ so you wont be paying a fortune for a replacement...

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I think I'm going to go with the Invisibleshield as well. I just need to find a kiosk. I'm NOT patient enough to install one of those.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
I think I'm going to go with the Invisibleshield as well. I just need to find a kiosk. I'm NOT patient enough to install one of those.
It was so worth the $10.

Does the Galleria in Dallas have an Apple Store? If not,try the North East Mall in Hurst off of 183. The kiosk, if there, should be near an Apple Store.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
It was so worth the $10.

Does the Galleria in Dallas have an Apple Store? If not,try the North East Mall in Hurst off of 183. The kiosk, if there, should be near an Apple Store.
Northpark and Willow Bend have Apple Stores. There isn't one at the Galleria or NE mall. I did not see a Zagg kiosk at Willow Bend though. Honestly I wasn't paying much attention. After waiting in line 5 hours on 7/11 and 5 more hours on 7/12 just a few days after having a knee surgery and on crutches I was just trying to get the hell out of dodge. I may make a trip back to the mall this weekend. the scratches I'm getting are starting to annoy the hel out of me.

aahitman

Bronze
Sep 8, 2007
Denton, TX
Northpark and Willow Bend have Apple Stores. There isn't one at the Galleria or NE mall. I did not see a Zagg kiosk at Willow Bend though. Honestly I wasn't paying much attention. After waiting in line 5 hours on 7/11 and 5 more hours on 7/12 just a few days after having a knee surgery and on crutches I was just trying to get the hell out of dodge. I may make a trip back to the mall this weekend. the scratches I'm getting are starting to annoy the hel out of me.
I was there on the 14th and all I remember seeing was Starbucks.