It Won't Be Long Now: The Palm Pre.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Greetings Forum Members,
Today Sprint customers received an email with a link to a very impressive Sprint/Palm Pre website. Being that the Pre is rumored to become the iPhone's largest competitor. I was very happy to receive this email knowing now that the Pre launch is not far off. Usually when Sprint starts sending emails about a device it launches within a couple of weeks.

I can't wait to get this hot piece of thechnology in my hand and see how it stands up to the almighty iPhone. We have all heard in the last two years about possible "iPhone killers". To date none has really accomplished the task. Sure there have been devices with more and better features. They have failed though in their ease of use and elegant wrapping in comparison to the iPhone. The Pre looks very well thought out and quite promising. What are your thoughts? Do you think the Pre will be able to stand up to the iPhone? Or fizzle out like the rest of the competition has? Click the photo below (I've included a hyperlink) to see the very impressive Sprint/Palm Pre webpage then return and give your thoughts. Thanks Mark :laugh2:

Last edited by a moderator:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
dude, i thought you were in a 12-step program for this...

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Has Sprint improved their service recently? I was on Sprint a few years back and had nothing but trouble.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
My quick thoughts are:

• iPhone Killer = no way - I don't believe anyone / anything can be an iPhone killer except Apple themselves if they make immensely stupid decisions about it in future.
  • iPhone rival - in terms of ideas and innovation and interface and user experience - maybe so. And that would make it the first real rival in those sort of areas, IMO.
There are a lot of big, big IFs associated with this device as well:

• If Palm can stay afloat and independent and on course financially - my understanding is this is pretty much 'make or break' time for them in this respect, and in order to make not break, this needs to be a huge success.
  • If Sprint can do the device justice. My understanding is they are also in pretty dire financial straits and losing users / market share at an alarming pace.
  • If Palm delivers on a lot of promise and potential for the Pre. It's great being the challenger in some ways - everybody has had two years to pick apart the iPhone and ding it for its many weaknesses. We've only seen demos of the Pre so far - I imagine it will come with some imperfections as well.

I think it is a very interesting device though. The first one I think that about in a long time. Certainly far more interesting than one called TheStorm that you may have heard of ...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
the other thing that remains to be seen is what kind of alternative can they throw together to compete against the juggernaut appstore.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
the other thing that remains to be seen is what kind of alternative can they throw together to compete against the juggernaut appstore.
Oh yes. That is another few of big IFs for me - if their SDK is as good as Apple's, if they get big (real big) developer support, if they implement the store super well etc.

One thing that isn't even an if, is that they start at a major disadvantage in this area, as all the other platforms do - because they have nothing like iTunes to build on top of ...

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
I am not a Sprint customer but had visited their web site and signed up to be kept up to date on the Pre. I received the same email Mark posted in the beginning of this thread. I currently own the Treo 650 but retired it to go with the 3G and love it. One thing I dislike immensely is iTunes. I used Real Player on the Treo and it is very user friendly. iTunes is certainly not user friendly when compared to Real Player. The syncing with google calendar and contacts, the few improvements in iTunes and hopefully signficant improvements, ie copy and paste, etc in June and potential 'new iPhone' may keep iPhone the preeminent smart phone for me. I will watch the early adopters such as Mark, follow the Pre on everythingpre and probably buy the Pre when it becomes available in a gsm version if the Pre lives up to it's expectations. I will then join the ranks of multiply smartphone addicts. Some one needs to replace Mark, if that is possible and if he is successful in kicking his addiction. (lol) I am a PC user, have no intention of changing to Macs, my wife is a Macfan girl. If the Pre fits my needs better than the iPhone then it will become my primary smart phone. A big challenge for Palm but it looks promising.:cool:

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
I honestly can say I want to try one, will I? Probably not, I will have to play with one in-store because I do not like sliders. But then again I didn't like candy bar shaped phones until I got my first smartphone, a Treo. But coupled with Sprint which isn't anywhere as good as Verizon and I might save my money.

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
Sprint is a deal-killer here in Dallas. The service is sub-par compared to At&t.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Sprint can be nice; not where I am though.

If Palm's smart, they'll do like HTC's Diamond series and show up on many other carriers after a few months.

It would be killer on Verizon. It'll also be interesting to see if ATT picks up a GSM version.

As for apps... there will be many, since there are thousands of times more DHTML programmars out there. I'm looking forward to doing little ones specifically for my wife's needs.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Sprint is not what it used to be. The customer service and coverage have greatly improved (and I do mean GREATLY). Plus how can you beat the Everything Unlimited Plan 99.00? I get sick of AT&T, Verizon & T-Mobile (Did I mention the T stands for terrible coverage) charging for every function you use on the phone. I prefer one reasonable price for everything.

Sprint's 3G soon to be 4G network puts all others to shame. It might be worth giving Sprint another look. The only reason I use other carriers along with Sprint is the whole phone exclusive to carrier crap. I wish I could have all my phones on Sprint. I am sick and tired of having to accept service with whom the device maker's CEO has chosen for me. Just sale me the phone and let me decide what carrier I want to use it with. Of course for me it would be Sprint. Mark

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Plus how can you beat the Everything Unlimited Plan 99.00?I prefer one reasonable price for everything.
I am sick and tired of having to accept service with whom the device maker's CEO has chosen for me. Just sale me the phone and let me decide what carrier I want to use it with. Mark
The $99 plan is nice. I believe BB has a similar one.
I totally agree with your other point(did I just say that?:laugh2:). Why can't we just buy a phone and go where we want. I know all the arguments on this subject, but I would still like to go with whom I choose. The Pre looks to be a good phone, but Sprint has killed it for me. If I could choose the carrier then I would be on it in a heartbeat.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
The $99 plan is nice. I believe BB has a similar one.
I totally agree with your other point(did I just say that?:laugh2:). Why can't we just buy a phone and go where we want. I know all the arguments on this subject, but I would still like to go with whom I choose. The Pre looks to be a good phone, but Sprint has killed it for me. If I could choose the carrier then I would be on it in a heartbeat.
Forum members you are witnessing history in the making. Dturner has finally agreed with me (Swagger). I knew when I woke up this morning that some "Earth Shaking" event was going to take place. Yes EIC has now validated that feeling I had. Wow what a day. LOL, Mark :laugh2:

Now back to subject. dtuner you mentioned the argument on both sides of the issue. It amazes me that there is an argument at all. I would like to think that everyone would prefer to choose for themselves what carrier to use. Of course you always have the sheeps being led to slaughter that would prefer for others to make the choice for them.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Now back to subject. dtuner you mentioned the argument on both sides of the issue. It amazes me that there is an argument at all. I would like to think that everyone would prefer to choose for themselves what carrier to use. Of course you always have the sheeps being led to slaughter that would prefer for others to make the choice for them.
Not that I agree, but some will argue that phones can be sold cheaper and the carrier makes it up on the monthly bill. Well, if I pay full price for a phone I don't get a cheaper phone plan do I? Of course not. These are probably the sheep you are referring to.:p

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Not that I agree, but some will argue that phones can be sold cheaper and the carrier makes it up on the monthly bill. Well, if I pay full price for a phone I don't get a cheaper phone plan do I? Of course not. These are probably the sheep you are referring to.:p
Exactly what I'm talking about. Mark

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Sprints service is better than AT&T's where I live (southern Utah).

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Where I live Sprint was marginally better for me but much worse for my wife.

Sprint's Everything Unlimited Plan isn't everything if you're using BB over an Enterprise server. It's more money a month to include that.

The Pre does look good. I never liked slide out keyboards because they usually make the phone too bulky. But Pre seems to get around that. Looks pretty sweet.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Mark, are you really going to do this... relapse? How many phones do you have now also why do you need so many again? The average person has 1 for businesss and 1 for personal.

I can foresee the future with Mark. He's going to get the Pre, then rave so passionately about it... then around a few weeks or months come back to the iPhone naming the faults of the pre.

Terry M.

Contributor
Silver
Feb 27, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
I'll be interested to play with one in store but I won't get one. I just got rid of Sprint's horrid, horrid service and I won't go back.