iTalk or equivalent?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

cobalt24

Bronze
May 31, 2007
Hello,

A big huge plus for me would be to have voice memo capabilities on the iPhone. It does not have this yet, does it? Also, would something like iTalk work? I've heard that is a product for iPods, but maybe I have the name wrong. In any case it's a microphone that is added to the iPod to allow you to record things but I've also heard it has terrible audio quality.

In any case let me know what the possibilities, if any, are with recording sound with the iPhone.

Thanks!

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Hello,

A big huge plus for me would be to have voice memo capabilities on the iPhone. It does not have this yet, does it? Also, would something like iTalk work? I've heard that is a product for iPods, but maybe I have the name wrong. In any case it's a microphone that is added to the iPod to allow you to record things but I've also heard it has terrible audio quality.

In any case let me know what the possibilities, if any, are with recording sound with the iPhone.

Thanks!
This iPod accessory would not be compatible with iPhone. However, over in our software forum there is a "Voice Recorder App" thread that is installed via SSH. Though this will require some reading, perhaps learning, and a dedicated amount of time - it may be what you're looking for.

Here is a link

Last edited by a moderator:

cobalt24

Bronze
May 31, 2007
Thank you both of you!

I have a problem though. I'm not a computer engineer so I don't know how to hack an iPhone. :-D I posted in the Software section of the forum about tutorials and wishing there was a central place people like me can go to learn how to do it (I'm good at figuring things out when I have direction - but otherwise no clue!). I know there are bits and pieces everywhere (I just found that wifi installer app but of course you have to know how to install an app first to be able to use it!). I'm looking them all up, but I just don't know what to trust as I don't want to screw up my iPhone (when I get it - don't have it yet of course hence my question about the voice record).

Thanks for all continued help!

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
The process of hacking the iPhone is actually quite simple at the moment. However, the 3rd party applications that require SSH, require a more in depth process. I have not looked at a tutorial for SSH yet, but for basic Mods (that may lead you to be more comfortable to proceed to SSH) I recommend our Modifications forum.

After you have exhausted the material there, there is a ton more knowledge that can be found at modmyi.com

cobalt24

Bronze
May 31, 2007
THANKS for this! That's what I was looking for. You're helpful unlike some people whom I have encountered. ;)

STNLESS

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Step 1 to adding apps is getting something called SSH installed on your iPhone.

If you are using a Mac get this:

http://iPhone.port21.com/Code/iPhone_SSH_Install_for_Mac.zip

unzip it and then open a terminal and cd into the folder you unzipped to and type ./iPhoneMacSSHInstall.sh

If you are using Windows get this:

http://devices.natetrue.com/iPhone/sshkit.zip

unzip it and then double-clock on sshify-windows.bat in the folder you unzipped it to.

If you need help using SSH let me know and I can give you a lesson.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Um... assuming you don't need to do hundreds of voice memos, if you only need to have an occasional one, why not just call your own voice mail system and leave yourself a message? Visual voicemail makes it easy to hear it back... like any recording.

cobalt24

Bronze
May 31, 2007
Um... assuming you don't need to do hundreds of voice memos, if you only need to have an occasional one, why not just call your own voice mail system and leave yourself a message? Visual voicemail makes it easy to hear it back... like any recording.

Good idea for random, quick messages you don't want to forget, but I need the capability to output some kind of sound file that I can then download onto a computer (and usually it will end up being a lot of them, yes). ha! Thanks, though!

STNLESS

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
you can download all the voice recordings to your PC. I wrote a little script that does it for me. I run it and then it copies all the recordings to a folder on the desktop.

STNLESS

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
The audio files are recorded in AMR format. Adaptive Multi-Rate (AMR) is an audio data compression scheme optimized for speech coding. AMR was adopted as the standard speech codec by 3GPP in October 1998 and is now widely used in GSM. It uses link adaptation to select from one of eight different bit rates based on link conditions.

AMR is also a file format for storing spoken audio using the AMR codec. Many modern mobile telephone handsets will allow you to store short recordings in the AMR format, and some commercial programs exist to convert between this and other formats such as MP3, although it should be remembered that AMR is a speech format and is unlikely to give ideal results for other audio. The common filename extension is .amr.

An 18 Min meeting I recorded was 1.7MB, I converted it to an uncompressed stereo WAV file and it became 33MB!