iToner Custom Ring tones by Ambrosia Software

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
No kidding. It's a little late in the game to charge to make ring tones. You don't even need anything special at all really, just make an mp3 and put it in the var/root/Library/Ringtones folder!
I agree, but you gotta think about all the people who don't want to hack, or don't know how... the general public will probably use a program like this, or use the rumored iTunes ring tone maker. I personally like "hacking", but still liked this program. I won't buy it, but it does seem useful.

iphoneyouphone

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I think the program is great. So simple my grandmother could use it (if she had an iPhone.) I know my way around Macs very well and know i could hack and get all the cool stuff, but for some reason i don't want to do it to the iPhone, so when I saw this i was excited. Awesome app. very worth the money to buy. I just put three ringers on in 5 seconds. I almost thought it didn't work. haha:cool: Bravo!

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
Yay now I got ringtones.

(not into the whole hacking thing especially since I don't want to injure my iPhone and have to do crap restores when updates come around.

randyg

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
No kidding. It's a little late in the game to charge to make ring tones. You don't even need anything special at all really, just make an mp3 and put it in the var/root/Library/Ringtones folder!
Another thing you need to keep in mind is that not everyone here is using an Intel Mac or Windows machine. Until now, most hacks have been available only to those users. PPC Mac users have been left out in the cold. Also there are people that are just plain afraid to do all this Terminal work and even the simpler stuff that actually hacks the phone. This way they can at least change some ringtones and not screw up their iPhone.

It's a great app and worth the $15 for those that are timid.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
i downloaded this software and tried it tonight. i used this instead of ifuntastic since it will allow me to use my itunes-purchased songs as ringtones without any conversion - just drag and drop them into itoner.

managing the ringtones manually worked like a charm, but using an iTunes playlist didn't - it pulled random songs from my library and NOT the ones in the playlist selected. weird.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
i downloaded this software and tried it tonight. i used this instead of ifuntastic since it will allow me to use my itunes-purchased songs as ringtones without any conversion - just drag and drop them into itoner.

managing the ringtones manually worked like a charm, but using an iTunes playlist didn't - it pulled random songs from my library and NOT the ones in the playlist selected. weird.
Sweet. I had no idea that protected files could be used! :cool:

rbaron

Bronze
Jan 18, 2007
Well now that everyone can see how easy it is to add ring tones to your iPhone using iToner, can anyone lead me to a site where I can get free ring tones?

Thanks much..........

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
i know - a pleasant surprise! itoner must load them such that they are somehow associated with the ipod functionality as authorized so they'll play...

I think its because the ipod in the iPhone accepts protected AAC and the iPhone ringtones are all in AAC format.

randyg

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
i know - a pleasant surprise! itoner must load them such that they are somehow associated with the ipod functionality as authorized so they'll play...
It might be prudent to download the current version. If there is some sort of legal issue and iToner is forced to change this then future versions might not allow using protected songs.
Just a thought

cflamm

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
just got an email from everythingiPhone.com about a software product named itoner (from itoner.com,) that makes ringtones from your mac from mp3s. free 30 day trial, $15 after that. but 30 days is more than long enough to make all the ringtones you want.

it works perfectly with a great interface. just drag an mp3 to the iPhone representation and synch.
it takes a few steps to convert songs from mp3s to ringtone length.

my workflow:

open song in Final Cut Pro. edit length with fade-out. save as quicktime movie.
open in quicktime, export as aiff.
open in audacity, export as mp3.
drag to itoner.

sounds great.

ringtones are no big deal...got on fine without them. but missed "roundabout" from my old phone.

now i have all i want.

cha.

carl