itoner ringtones lost when synched

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

cflamm

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
anyone who has itoner, when you download iTunes 7.4, all your custom rintones will be wiped out. not by synching, just by OPENING iTunes.

this happened and i re-installed my ringtones and they were back on. opened iTunes and they were fine. but then when i synched, they were gone again. re-installed again and they are back on.

so i guess everytime you synch for the time being, your tones will be lost and will have to be re-installed.

not that big a deal, but i'm using the trial version of itoner which expires in 30 days so soon the option of reinstalling will be lost unless i buy the product. i have no problem buying it, but then it might not work anymore next week when the wifi ringtones download starts on iTunes.

hopefully a fix will be forthcoming.

with the sting still fresh of finding a "large bruise" on my "Apple," i'm not about to give them more money for ringtones. yet anyway.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
anyone who has itoner, when you download iTunes 7.4, all your custom rintones will be wiped out. not by synching, just by OPENING iTunes.

this happened and i re-installed my ringtones and they were back on. opened iTunes and they were fine. but then when i synched, they were gone again. re-installed again and they are back on.

so i guess everytime you synch for the time being, your tones will be lost and will have to be re-installed.

not that big a deal, but i'm using the trial version of itoner which expires in 30 days so soon the option of reinstalling will be lost unless i buy the product. i have no problem buying it, but then it might not work anymore next week when the wifi ringtones download starts on iTunes.

hopefully a fix will be forthcoming.

with the sting still fresh of finding a "large bruise" on my "Apple," i'm not about to give them more money for ringtones. yet anyway.
The same thing happened to the ringtones I added through iPhoneRingtoneMaker. They go into /var/root/Media/iTunes_Control/Ringtones and I suspect that is what iTunes is now using for ringtones.

That said my ringtones weren't actually deleted from that folder. They were still in there with cryptic names (e.g., DXLKYW.mp3), but were still not in the list of available ringtones on the iPhone (within Settings).

My solution was to rename the files to something sensible, and then copy them to this folder:
/var/root/Library/Ringtones

When placed in there they show up in the list of available ringtones, and are not effected by iTunes syncing (at least for now).

--
Mike

cflamm

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
so is the var/root folder actually on your computer to change these file names? my phone isn't hacked - just added the new tones with itoner. anyway to fix this on a non-hacked phone, mac based?

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
The same thing happened to the ringtones I added through iPhoneRingtoneMaker. They go into /var/root/Media/iTunes_Control/Ringtones and I suspect that is what iTunes is now using for ringtones.

That said my ringtones weren't actually deleted from that folder. They were still in there with cryptic names (e.g., DXLKYW.mp3), but were still not in the list of available ringtones on the iPhone (within Settings).

My solution was to rename the files to something sensible, and then copy them to this folder:
/var/root/Library/Ringtones

When placed in there they show up in the list of available ringtones, and are not effected by iTunes syncing (at least for now).

--
Mike
Good to know, even though I am not using what you use to see the directories (ie only use the ringmaker). Hopefully this solution will be what the folks over will do so that there is a simple fast solution.

Actually I guess the fastest solution is to not update iTunes just yet until there is an update to the ringmaker software. I guess I will do that appoach for now.

blackcat

Jul 16, 2007
Most people that seem to be loosing their ringtones have unmodded phones. I have not installed 7.4 yet but have read there is a sync ringtones checkbox now, if you uncheck this it will not remove your ringtones. Can anyone confirm this?

mediarite

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
ColoRADo
Most people that seem to be loosing their ringtones have unmodded phones. I have not installed 7.4 yet but have read there is a sync ringtones checkbox now, if you uncheck this it will not remove your ringtones. Can anyone confirm this?
No dice. I'm on a Mac, using iToner, unmodded, with iTunes 7.4.

Unchecking the "Sync Ringtones" box didn't prevent it from deleting my iToner ringtones.

This fanboy is getting pissed off. How about showing just a little restraint, Apple. I paid $600 for this device. Let me do what I want with it.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
so is the var/root folder actually on your computer to change these file names? my phone isn't hacked - just added the new tones with itoner. anyway to fix this on a non-hacked phone, mac based?
The var/root/Library/Ringtones folder is on my iPhone.

I am not sure if it is there on unmodded iPhones, but it can be created with Mobile Finder on the iPhone itself (case sensitive). You can actually use Mobile Finder to copy and move the ringtones too--and then use it to rename them as well. Essentially everything can be done on the iPhone, all you need is Mobile Finder.

--
Mike

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
My ringtones stayed but I used the Jailbreak meathod and manually put a couple ringtones there. I'm sure they will be removed next time there is an iPhone update and they make me restore, but for now I still have the 2 ringtones I installed. I also restored and used iFuntastic (2.5 because 3.0 sucks) and added 2 ringtones and did the sync and they also stayed.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Will check on Mobile Finder and see if I can put that on my phone. Doing an internet search right now =) and thanks.