Its a Sad Day In Texas

S

Starry

An irreplaceable piece of Texas history goes up in flames.
Firegfighters are battling a blaze at the Governor's Mansion downtown.

AUSTIN -- Fire swept through the historic Governor’s Mansion early Sunday, leaving parts of the historic 150-year-old home smoldering and causing damage that state officials described as “bordering on catastrophic.”
No one was inside at the time , said Robert Black, a spokesman for Gov. Rick Perry. The mansion had been undergoing a $10 million renovation, and Perry and his wife, Anita, had moved out last fall.

In a press conference later Sunday morning AFD officials said they were officially investigating this fire as an arson.

About 100 firefighters responded to the four-alarm blaze shortly before 2 a.m., Austin Fire Department spokeswoman Dawn Clopton said. Small hot spots were still being extinguished more than five hours after the fire began.
The mansion, which has been the home of every Texas governor since 1856, was left black with heavy burns. The white columns in front of the home were charred, and officials said parts of the roof had collapsed.

“It is bordering on catastrophic,” said Allison Castle, a Perry spokeswoman.
Perry and his wife were in Stockholm, Sweden, on Sunday as part of a European trip. They were scheduled to return on Tuesday.

Black said that all furniture and historic artifacts had been removed from the mansion before the renovations began.

The mansion had a fire alarm but no sprinkler system. Black said installing a fire suppression system was among the renovations that began in October and was scheduled to be completed this spring.

The large trees surrounding the two-story mansion, which sits on a lot the size of a city block, made it difficult for firefighters to position their equipment, Clopton said. She said more than four hours passed before firefighters stopped “heavy operations.”

The state fire marshall’s office would lead the investigation, Clopton said. Firefighters were working with state conversation officials to prevent further damage as they moved throughout the house, she said.

The governor uses the mansion as a home and for official functions, such as hosting heads of state or dignitaries. The renovations were meant to address projects such as plumbing, abating lead paint and cleaning out asbestos from window panes, state officials said.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Oh no!, that's so sad, how awful. My husband is a firefighter and he always say's that there is nothing worse than to see irreplaceable things go up in smoke. It's very sad:(.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
An irreplaceable piece of Texas history goes up in flames.
Firegfighters are battling a blaze at the Governor's Mansion downtown.

In a press conference later Sunday morning AFD officials said they were officially investigating this fire as an arson.
I have never understood the mentality of vandals and arsonists...I just cannot comprehend what kind of satisfaction destroying property can bring. Infuriating.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I have never understood the mentality of vandals and arsonists...I just cannot comprehend what kind of satisfaction destroying property can bring. Infuriating.
+1...but sometimes they can get satisfaction from destroying other peoples things when they are jealous. I guess it makes them feel better about themselves, taking something away from someone, that they cant have.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I am such a history buff that I actually got chill bumps when I read that, I know, kind of sad. It angers me so much when something like this happens, and even more so when I find out it was deliberate.