it's been 19 days, can I exchange my iPhone or no? *DEAD PIXEL*

krisobe

Jul 20, 2007
So i ordered my iPhone online and i received it July 12th, but didn't activate it till the 16th. Recently I noticed a small dead pixel somewhat on the middle of the screen. You can see it whenever it's on a black background. Can I exchange it or will I just have to deal with this. Should I take it to Apple and have it checked out or will I just be wasting my time? Hmm a small dead pixel is very unnoticeable but it annoys me because I know it's there. Any suggestions? Thanks.

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
Just go to an Apple store and tell them it is freezing up on you and the battery is not working properly. Hopefully they won't notice the dead pixel and simply swipe it out for another one. It's worth a shot.
Just be prepared if they notice it. Say something like "oh great, i didn't even notice that. Now i've got that to deal with on top of it freezing up and running short on battery."
Good luck!

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
So is everyone saying that a problem with the screen (dead pixel) is not covered under warranty? Admittedly, I haven't read the terms that closely, but it seems to me that defects and similar problems should be covered under the terms of the 1 year warranty.

krisobe

Jul 20, 2007
I just called Apple support and the guy said I can return it if I had a dead pixel. Well I hope he isn't lying. Haha I set up an apointment for tomorrow. Hopefully they will exchange it. Where is the part where you cannont exchange the iPhone with a dead pixel?

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
I just called Apple support and the guy said I can return it if I had a dead pixel. Well I hope he isn't lying. Haha I set up an apointment for tomorrow. Hopefully they will exchange it. Where is the part where you cannont exchange the iPhone with a dead pixel?
Makes sense to me. It's not like you're trying to RETURN it...you're trying to exchange it because it has a defective screen. It should make no difference that you've owned the iPhone for 19 days. Are you confusing the 15-day return policy with the one-year warranty?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
So i ordered my iPhone online and i received it July 12th, but didn't activate it till the 16th. Recently I noticed a small dead pixel somewhat on the middle of the screen. You can see it whenever it's on a black background. Can I exchange it or will I just have to deal with this. Should I take it to Apple and have it checked out or will I just be wasting my time? Hmm a small dead pixel is very unnoticeable but it annoys me because I know it's there. Any suggestions? Thanks.
give it a shot.

krisobe

Jul 20, 2007
oh okay yeah I got confused about the 15 day thing. that's only if you want to return it, not exhange it. alright hopefully I get a new one. btw the dead pixel is so small it's so hard to see. only in dark lighting and if you really concentrate where it's at.

krisobe

Jul 20, 2007
I read on another forum that if you have a dead/stuck pixel and if its within 14 days of purchase they will replace it, but if its after 14 days they'll send it off to be repaired. Is this true?

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Dead pixels are a legitimate issue and you will have no trouble at all at an Apple store if there really is a dead pixel on your phone.

krisobe

Jul 20, 2007
Hello to all, So I just got back from the Apple store and the genius dude checked out my dead pixels. There was only like a couple and he said it was a normal thing to have. I was like hmmmm ok.. and also he said that LCD's arent perfect blah blah blah and if more dead pixels come out then they will surely replace it. Oh well I bought the monster cassette adapter and the xtrememac car charger so i'm happy bout that. Plus I figured if i replaced my iPhone i wouldve gotten the 7 series. I have the 5 series right now with 2 tiny dead pixels. Okay i'm glad to get that off my chest. :cool:

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Hello to all, So I just got back from the Apple store and the genius dude checked out my dead pixels. There was only like a couple and he said it was a normal thing to have. I was like hmmmm ok.. and also he said that LCD's arent perfect blah blah blah and if more dead pixels come out then they will surely replace it. Oh well I bought the monster cassette adapter and the xtrememac car charger so i'm happy bout that. Plus I figured if i replaced my iPhone i wouldve gotten the 7 series. I have the 5 series right now with 2 tiny dead pixels. Okay i'm glad to get that off my chest.
:cool:

I have been in your situation a few times and I would not have left without a replacement...genius bar employees have no bias financially to not exchange your phone for you...some geniuses think they are gods and will give you trouble...don't settle for this.

krisobe

Jul 20, 2007
Thanks for the input, should I just wait or should I get a replacement ASAP? because isn't the dead pixel problem under the 1 year warranty? I should try other Apple stores huh. I went to the one at the Glendale Galleria and it seems those genius bar guys don't give a sh*t about employees.