It's been over a year - how are your lightning cables holding up?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by acosmichippo, Dec 4, 2013.

1. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Just curious. Mine have been great, although I have three Apple cables, so they don't get used as much as one single cable would. I also have a black one from monoprice in my car that's still working fine. All of the plugs still fit nice and snugly into the receptacles on the devices.

2. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

Mine are all holding up just fine. Except for my one iPhone lightning cable that has done a crinkly thing right at the port, not sure what that's about. I've tried to no avail to uncrinkle. ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1386252196.508334.jpg

Sent using iCafe app

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It could be from using the phone a lot while it's plugged in and charging. Mine do that way. My cousin never uses his while plugged in, and his doesn't crinkle.

Sent using iCafe app

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

That is actually very normal especially due to sometimes having to move the cable left and right to get it out of the iPhone.

5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Mine are doing ok and that's probably due to the addition of a few cheap cables that I added to the mix. My problem is that I can't figure out which are the real cables and which are the fakes. A recent purchase of 3 black Lightning cables helps somewhat. I do get a few pesky notices about them not being iOS 7 compatible, but for the most part, they just work. If anything, they act a bit odd with my iPad mini. iPhones always seem to work. I need some sort of cable clips that will identify which is which -- more importantly detect which cables are mine and which belong to my wife. I remember a company at CES had the perfect product, but I cannot remember their name. Was shopping Amazon last night and couldn't find them. Most of the stuff there are velcro strips. Useful, but not ideal.

Overall, I'd say my lightning cables are in good shape. I wish the USB had a bit of a grip on it. I recently bought a Nook HD+ (ok, stop laughing) and it has a proprietary cable. That's annoying, but the connector is curved and allows for better gripping. I suppose that's harder for Apple given the smaller, standardized USB size of their connector.

6. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

A sharpie type pen marking one, or both ends, would help you determine who's are who's.

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Mine is doing ok. Only had since August. Added some electrical tape for extra support near the end, where it tends to bend and cause problems. I hope it doesn't do like my iPhone 4 cable did. That one was poorly made. ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1386257456.436344.jpg

Sent using iCafe app

8. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

That's a good idea. I had a old 3G cable awhile back that got mangled. Never thought to strengthen it.

Sent using iCafe app

9. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

I do use my phone a whole lot while it was charging. I'm sure I was holding it funky ways and making it tug too while it was charging so I could use it. I rarely left it alone while charging now that I think about it....interesting.

Sent using iCafe app

10. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Mine is still doing well, but it's starting to stretch and bunch at the lightning connector side. ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1386260518.522471.jpg

Sent using iCafe app

11. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Mine went to crap and Apple had to replace it.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I use several of them (different rooms at home, my car and work) and most of them look brand new. However, the cable that I was using for my external charger first started to bunch up like those in the pictures above and then it started to open up a bit exposing the wires underneath. This happened because of the extreme angles I sometimes bend it in when I'm using the phone while charging.

Apple replaced the cable for free a few weeks ago when I went to an Apple Store. Tonight I put a coil from an ink pen around a different cable I have been using with my external charger to reenforce it at that vulnerable spot so it won't bend as much. I guess white electrical tape would also work, but I saw this method online a year or so ago and wanted to try it.

image.jpg

13. one_crazy_dude

one_crazy_dude Contributor
    Bronze

Mine still works but doesn't look well
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1386517272.214763.jpg

Sent using iCafe app

14. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

do you frequently use your phone while it's charging?

15. one_crazy_dude

one_crazy_dude Contributor
    Bronze

Nope. It is always plugged into the computer for syncing only. It is the original cable. I use others from five below to charge at night and in the car. The cable did get a lot if use at first when I first got the phone because there were no aftermarket cables at first.

Sent using iCafe app

16. donnyxmx

donnyxmx New Member

Mine looks like the other pictures. A couple bends but holding on.

Sent using iCafe app

17. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

Must have taken some doing to get the pen-spring over the lightning end far less the USB end - but once on looks like a good solution. I have 1 lightning that is beginning to 'peel' at that same point ( been 13 months though) and a couple of after-market "extra long" multi-pin type ( I call them 'garden rakes' ) which died young ( for iPhone 4S and iPad 2 ) .... They were absolute crap !

Sent using iCafe app

18. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Just start wrapping it around the cable. Not too hard at all really.

19. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It was for me. I got the spring all bent out of shape. LOL I'll just stick to having it wrapped with electrical tape. At this point, it's just a preventive measure. But the tape does help keep it straight.

Sent using iCafe app

20. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

I think it would be more do-able with a larger spring, but that would defeat the purpose of providing support ! I think some small needle nose pliers or even tweezers might help with the pen-spring. I will probably grab "one of each" ( lightning + 'garden rake' ) cables my next "reality check trip" to Canada ( a week of penance in early Jan ) but seeing as the 2 after-market extra length cables are the only ones which have actually become totally unserviceable , I'll stick to stock. We may use iPads while connected to charger, but not phones, as they charge in docks .....( the 'bedside alarm' thing .......) David

Sent using iCafe app