It's finally happened.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
My iPhone has light leakage on the left side of the screen, and I've noticed either dead pixels, or dust. Looks like I'm off to the Apple Store tomorrow.
Wish me luck. :(

Aug 4, 2007
Bay Area California
My iPhone has light leakage on the left side of the screen, and I've noticed either dead pixels, or dust. Looks like I'm off to the Apple Store tomorrow.
Good luck tomorrow, sorry about your dead pixles and left sided light leakage. Did you smell toast right before it happened? ( sorry thats a very bad healthcare related joke about the symptoms of a stroke):eek:
But seriously, thats a real pain in the butt . Hey at least you get to play with all the new, shiny toys while your waiting.
Keep us posted.
Colleen

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
how old is your iPhone? If it's fairly new they will swap it out no questions asked with a new one. Otherwise you will get a return with slight hassle.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Unfortunately Savi, I have the exact same problem, and when I told Apple, they said "They never heard of that problem (in reference to the light leak) and it was just a refraction of light from the screen protector"

I hope you have better luck!

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
Unfortunately Savi, I have the exact same problem, and when I told Apple, they said "They never heard of that problem (in reference to the light leak) and it was just a refraction of light from the screen protector"

I hope you have better luck!

you talked to an idiot not a genius , take it back to Apple and get it replaced if you have light leakage

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
you talked to an idiot not a genius , take it back to Apple and get it replaced if you have light leakage
Haha, really?

I know that, but I'm not going to replace it for a refurb.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Good luck tomorrow, sorry about your dead pixles and left sided light leakage. Did you smell toast right before it happened? ( sorry thats a very bad healthcare related joke about the symptoms of a stroke):eek:
But seriously, thats a real pain in the butt . Hey at least you get to play with all the new, shiny toys while your waiting.
Keep us posted.
Colleen
Thanks Colleen.

Hmm...thats right. I never thought about being able to play with the new MacBooks and stuff. That'll be fun.

But I'm actually going tomorrow instead of today. I'm going to families house, I just found out, and the Apple Store I was going to is booked...but I made my appointment in advance for it tomorrow. :)

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
how old is your iPhone? If it's fairly new they will swap it out no questions asked with a new one. Otherwise you will get a return with slight hassle.
Well I got the 3G on July 11th, but there's no signs of damage of any sort so hopefully they won't give me any issues.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Aenti, I agree with llrickman. That wasn't a genius :)
I hope I actually talk to one of those tomorrow.

Honestly though, I know what you mean about trading in a brand new one for a refurb, but there isn't really a difference (hopefully there won't be) between new and refurbs. The V1 refurbs were just as good, if not better than some of the new ones...hopefully it'll be the same case for the 3G's.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
but there isn't really a difference (hopefully there won't be) between new and refurbs. The V1 refurbs were just as good, if not better than some of the new ones...hopefully it'll be the same case for the 3G's.
Agree. Refurbs are completely redone and have a new battery replacement. Might as well be a new phone.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I got my 3G replaced a week after getting it because of the light leakage problem. YOu should be fine. Actually, my replacement has the same issue but I am going to wait a while longer before getting it replaced.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Philip- With the refurb, was the back plastic completely flawless as if you just bought the phone? (No scratches, hair line scratches, etc)

And I canceled my appointment to the Genius Bar. I called (800) MY-APPLE and I'm doing the empty box thing.

So hopefully by the end of next week I should've received the box, sent my phone, and received my replacement.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I got my 3G replaced a week after getting it because of the light leakage problem. YOu should be fine. Actually, my replacement has the same issue but I am going to wait a while longer before getting it replaced.
Sounds like a good plan. Let all the leakers get refurbed (is that a word :laugh2:) and then get it replaced. You have a year anyway, no need to hurry.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
My 2 V1 refurbs kept getting better and better. I love my current iPhone.

On my second exchange, the "genius" told me refurbs only contain the working guts of returned phones. They get new cases, screens, and batteries, and anything that happened to fail internally... so, for all intents and purposes, they are brand new. I don't know how true that is, but take it for what it's worth. Both my exchange refurbs looked absolutely mint.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
My 2 V1 refurbs kept getting better and better. I love my current iPhone.

On my second exchange, the "genius" told me refurbs only contain the working guts of returned phones. They get new cases, screens, and batteries, and anything that happened to fail internally... so, for all intents and purposes, they are brand new. I don't know how true that is, but take it for what it's worth. Both my exchange refurbs looked absolutely mint.
Thanks, thats good to know. I hope its true though...but I'm thinking it has to be, because on all the V1 iPhones I've had, each one was perfect. Not a scratch or ANYTHING.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
That's good news to hear.
And I understand that I'm coming off as hating refurbs. Not really true.
See my problem is that I got a new iPhone that was defective out of the box. I was just being a little upset about that, but in reality, I'm fine with a refurb.
Keep us posted Savi!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Philip- With the refurb, was the back plastic completely flawless as if you just bought the phone? (No scratches, hair line scratches, etc)

So hopefully by the end of next week I should've received the box, sent my phone, and received my replacement.
The replacement was brand new in every sense of the word. In fact, I went in and replaced a friend's v1 and got a pristine replacement for that too.

Sounds like a good plan. Let all the leakers get refurbed (is that a word :laugh2:) and then get it replaced. You have a year anyway, no need to hurry.
That's exactly what I'm thinking. I have until July of next year so I'll just ride it out. Maybe once mine gets banged up a bit more.

VasiliosKN

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
NY - Miami
Odd, I just noticed 5 dead pixels on my 3G today...... they sometimes change color as well....

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I wonder if dust gets in through the Ringer / Vibrate switch? .. I was looking at my phone tonight and there seems to be a bunch of dust built up in there, and when I flip the switch I had the realization "Hey, that crap is going inside the unit." ... Hmmmmmm