It's here

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Is this the first time Apple releases an iOS update for only one iPhone model?

I know fragmentation plagues Android, but I don't recall seeing this happen before with iOS. Couldn't Apple have released 6.1.1 for all models of the iPhone even if the improvements/bug fixes only apply to the 4S? I'm just curious, not concerned...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Is this the first time Apple releases an iOS update for only one iPhone model?

I know fragmentation plagues Android, but I don't recall seeing this happen before with iOS. Couldn't Apple have released 6.1.1 for all models of the iPhone even if the improvements/bug fixes only apply to the 4S? I'm just curious, not concerned...
No, it's happened before. 6.0.2 was only for the iPhone 5 and iPad mini. An incremental update like that for two models is not considered fragmentation. 6.0.2 was just a patch for a WiFi bug that only affected those two models. 6.1 quickly followed behind it and it was available for all iOS devices that have been manufactured since 2009. Because iOS supports all models for at least three years, it is not fragmented.

eitech2

Jan 24, 2013
Hmm. It's update after update after update. Best Apple release a new iOS. 6.1.3 is out and i heard that it flaws too. Smh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Hmm. It's update after update after update. Best Apple release a new iOS. 6.1.3 is out and i heard that it flaws too. Smh.
I think they were more concerned with breaking the jailbreak than patching lockscreen bugs. Meanwhile, it's 2013 and we still don't have quick settings toggles that have existed since 2008 on jailbroken phones. They are easy to implement and very useful. Apple even went out of their way to disable the nice settings shortcuts that someone made back on 5.0 that could be placed in a folder on the home screen as a workaround to SBSettings when stock. Why is Apple so hell-bent on forcing their users to go through multiple settings pages to toggle features on and off?

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
Good questions that I started wondering myself with discovering how awesome jail breaking can be. I love the various tweaks that have improved functionality and the ability to customize.

Sent using iCafe app

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I think they were more concerned with breaking the jailbreak than patching lockscreen bugs. Meanwhile, it's 2013 and we still don't have quick settings toggles that have existed since 2008 on jailbroken phones. They are easy to implement and very useful. Apple even went out of their way to disable the nice settings shortcuts that someone made back on 5.0 that could be placed in a folder on the home screen as a workaround to SBSettings when stock. Why is Apple so hellbent on forcing their users to go through multiple settings pages to toggle features on and off?
Good questions that I started wondering myself with discovering how awesome jail breaking can be. I love the various tweaks that have improved functionality and the ability to customize.
It's always this time of the year that I begin to get grumpy about iOs and Android (well, more than usual).

RolandSeh

Feb 22, 2012
Read from the forums that some are complaining about their battery life but I don't see the 6.1.3 advisories mentioning anything about battery life fixes. In fact after 6.1.2, everything's holding well for the battery that I have got to say to Apple "Well done"!

RolandSeh

Feb 22, 2012
I'm over in Singapore and not taking in the Japan map improvement. But, I'm still happy that the iOS is improving and getting better.