It's Official! FREE WIFI!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I just got a text message a few minutes ago from AT&T that I now have free AT&T WiFi access at all AT&T hotspots nationwide.
For info visit : www.att.com/attwifi

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
For how long this time!
I think that this time it's officially started. The Text was directly from AT&T to announce it, so I guess we shall see.

Here are the instructions from AT&T's site:
http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/internet/accessing-wifi.jsp

iPhone users, get started with Wi-Fi
  • Activate Wi-Fi from the settings icon on your iPhone
  • Select "attwifi" from the list of available networks
  • Enter your 10-digit mobile number and check the box to agree to the Acceptable Use Policy. Tap 'continue'
  • You will receive a text message from AT&T with a secure link to the AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot. You will not be charged for the text message.
  • The SMS link will only be valid for 24 hours at the location it was requested. Another request must be submitted when using another hotspot location.
  • Open the text message and tap on the link for 24-hour access to the AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
(Also on the EIC main page. ;) )

I'm glad that this is finally available. This might actually encourage me to spend even more time at Starbucks stores, though I'm not quite sure it will make me buy more $4.00 chai tea lattes than I already do. ;)

AT&T's instructions aren't as detailed as they should be - once you turn on wifi and join a hotspot, you need to open Safari, which is where you'll be directed to a page where you need to enter your phone number and accept the terms and conditions. The way AT&T wrote it makes it sound like there's a pop-up prompt once you join the hotspot. I ran across the street to a Starbucks to try it out...

Last edited by a moderator:

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
(Also on the EIC main page. ;) )

I'm glad that this is finally available. This might actually encourage me to spend even more time at Starbucks stores, though I'm not quite sure it will make me buy more $4.00 chai tea lattes than I already do. ;)

AT&T's instructions aren't as detailed as they should be - once you turn on wifi and join a hotspot, you need to open Safari, which is where you'll be directed to a page where you need to enter your phone number and accept the terms and conditions. The way AT&T wrote it makes it sound like there's a pop-up prompt once you join the hotspot. I ran across the street to a Starbucks to try it out...
Sweet, so I'm not the only one who drinks those, haha.

And great news, thanks Hawk! I actually didn't receive any text message...

Last edited by a moderator:

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I have yet to get the text but I'm excited. Now all we need to do is figure out how to tether it to the laptop.

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
I have yet to get the text but I'm excited. Now all we need to do is figure out how to tether it to the laptop.
There is PDA Net. I'm using it right now. My job must be the only place I go that doesn't have any kind of wi-fi signal. I'm only Edge right now so it's a little slow but it's better than nothing

Elbacanazo920

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Bronx, NY
I got the Text and it's pretty good because there is a Starbucks up the block from my school and my friend works there so it's perfect. Free Coffee and free Wifi now all that's missing is more games for Mac.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
i tried it out at the local starbucks and it wouldn't work. i could sign on and then i would get the text that said click on the linky. the linky was there but it wasn't actually a linky it was just the text. i tried several times and the same result everytime.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Got my txt around 5PM yesterday.
Why didn't we get NetShare when we had the chance?:mad:
I actually got NetShare on the 2nd go around. It is EASILY my favorite App, free or paid. I used it almost the entire time we drove from Florida to Tennessee and surfed on my laptop with fantastic speeds.

I was just hoping to use the free WiFi instead of the 3G for even faster speeds. I know, I'm a bit greedy.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I was just hoping to use the free WiFi instead of the 3G for even faster speeds. I know, I'm a bit greedy.
Nice wish, but seeing as how you're using the Wifi antenna do to the actual tether, that precludes it from doing anything else (like connecting to AT&T's Wifi).

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
isn't there an app out there that uses the data cable instead of an ad-hoc wireless network?

sim

Aug 19, 2008
Rochester, MN
i tried it out at the local starbucks and it wouldn't work. i could sign on and then i would get the text that said click on the linky. the linky was there but it wasn't actually a linky it was just the text. i tried several times and the same result everytime.
I tried mine for the first time yesterday at Barns & Noble....no dice. Prompted me to put in my phone number, check the lawyer box and then hit proceed or whatever and it came back with a "Cannot connect....try again later." I tried it about 10 times then said the heck with it.

Steve

adambodkins

Bronze
Jul 15, 2008
this is great since where I am we don't 3g till Feburary only thing is all of these places have free wifi that my iPhone automatically connects too. And where I work we have wifi so I am not really missing out.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Just an update, Doby45 and I tried this the other day at the starbucks in the Mall. He connected fine, while I was never able to.
I was able to see the network, launch Safari, and logged in and get the text message, but when I launched the confirmation site from the text message and got the "congratulations, you are now logged in, I was still on 3G, and could not connect to the AT&T wifi.
i believe it's because my phone switches between wifi and cell very slow.

Anyone else have this problem?