It's Official - I'm an Apple Fanboy

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I just received my very first Apple Mac computer I have ever owned. I have been a PC/Windows user my entire life. I have gotten jaded by Microsoft and its bloated operating system with its constant updates, and anti-virus requirements that slowed down the system. A few years ago I gradually migrated over to iPod for my music needs and then this year bought the iPhone 3GS. I now just bought the MacBook Pro 15 inch 2.66 MHz. I feel like a total illiterate LOL. It took me 30 minutes just to figure out how the trackpad works:(. It will be a long process to gradually learn the Mac OS and familiarize myself with navigating around a new system. I have tutorials and iWork software. I'm confident I can deprogram myself from Windows and Founder/Cult Leader Bill Gates.

EDIT:

I want to add that I was quite impressed with Apple's attention to detail. It was amazing how the MacBook Pro came so neatly packaged. Of course, Apple has always been known for their simple, minimalistic, non-cluttered design.

ADDam

Bronze
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Congrats! You will love it! And once you use it for awhile, and try and use a PC again, you will realize how much windows sucks!

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Welcome to the club! My dad always worked for IBM....but my whole family (minus my mom) switched over to macs about 6 years ago. I had used Macs my whole life, as well as PCs, because my school actually used macs so I was always comfortable with both operating systems.

It wont take you as long as you think to get used to the Mac. You're already familiar with OSX using an iPhone so the transition will be a lot easier than you think. The trackpad on my Air took me some time to get used to as well because I was coming from a powerbook which was totally different.

Overall, you'll love it! I have an iMac and Air now. I used to have a mini and a powerbook. My dad has a power mac and an iMac. My sis has a macbook and her husband has a mini. We also have an old, old iBook floating around somewhere.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The learning curve isn't too bad. Just post questions as the come up.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Congrats! You will love it! And once you use it for awhile, and try and use a PC again, you will realize how much windows sucks!
Yes, I'm sure I will. I just placed my order for Snow Leopard tonight. It is just kinda surreal to be working with an entirely different OS.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Welcome to the club! My dad always worked for IBM....but my whole family (minus my mom) switched over to macs about 6 years ago. I had used Macs my whole life, as well as PCs, because my school actually used macs so I was always comfortable with both operating systems.

It wont take you as long as you think to get used to the Mac. You're already familiar with OSX using an iPhone so the transition will be a lot easier than you think. The trackpad on my Air took me some time to get used to as well because I was coming from a powerbook which was totally different.

Overall, you'll love it! I have an iMac and Air now. I used to have a mini and a powerbook. My dad has a power mac and an iMac. My sis has a macbook and her husband has a mini. We also have an old, old iBook floating around somewhere.
Thanks, I ordered tutorials to learn more about the details of Snow Leopard and iWork. It is kinda culture shock coming from Windows. It took me at least 30 minutes to figure out the entire trackpad clicks. LOL. I couldn't figure out how to click on anything at first. LOL It sounds like you had a solid background with Macs along with Windows. I want to be fluent in both systems so I felt it was time to make the switch.

The learning curve isn't too bad. Just post questions as the come up.
Thanks.. It is exciting to learn. It is an amazing piece of machinary. I'm amazed at how thin this MacBook Pro is.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Congratulations! I too made the switch to Mac and I honestly couldn't be happier. I was telling a friend the other day that I would actually, now, have a harder time switching from Mac back to PC than I initially did going from the PC to the Mac.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Congratulations! I too made the switch to Mac and I honestly couldn't be happier. I was telling a friend the other day that I would actually, now, have a harder time switching from Mac back to PC than I initially did going from the PC to the Mac.
Thanks. It takes some getting use to. This is my first post using my MacBook Pro. What I can't figure out is how to maximize my Safari screen. Even though I click on the green ball in the upper left corner it still doesn't fill the entire screen. You would have laughed seeing me work this trackpad like it was a PC laptop. LOL Bill Gates will be PO'd with me, but I don't care.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
How different is a Macbook trackpad from a PC trackpad, other than the multitouch abilities?

I've never learned a simple move for absolute window maximization. Always did it manually. I'd love to learn that one as well.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Yeah as far as I know there is no easy, window maximization, button. I always have to do it manually. That's the one thing I still have trouble getting used to.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Maximization works a bit differently in OSX. Instead of filling the screen, the green maximize button expands the window you are using only as much as it needs to in order to show everything within it. IMO, this promotes multitasking bcause you can see more of what your computer is doing. Consider it for a
minute - do you really need those windows to fill the whole screen if there will just be a ton of whitespace in them?

If you really need the full-screen maximize button, firefox will do that when you click on the green button. Otherwise, it's just another thing to get used to.

Also, I think the trackpads are probably the best part of the new MacBooks. Once you get used to it and customize your hotcorners, it's a much more powerful tool than a typical notebook mousepad.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks guys for your feedback. I guess it is just something I have to get use to coming over from the PC/Windows environment. I have to change my thought process that has become so ingrained with Windows. It is a whole new world to explore.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Congratulations. Macintosh is a great OS, and I have made the same switch about a year ago from being a long-time Windows user as well. In the Applications folder, you will find a how-to-use tutorial, you will learn a lot of things so don't miss out on it. It will be inside a folder inside Applications (so hit command + shift + A).

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I'm interested in doing the same in the future...just not right now.

I spent about 15min on a Mac once and I know exactly how illiterate you felt. You get so programmed into Windows and the OS.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'm interested in doing the same in the future...just not right now.

I spent about 15min on a Mac once and I know exactly how illiterate you felt. You get so programmed into Windows and the OS.
That was one of the main reasons I decided to purchase a MacBook. I wanted to gain experience with Apple computers instead of just knowing one operating system. I also work for a very large university where Apple computers are used along with PC's.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Congratulations. Macintosh is a great OS, and I have made the same switch about a year ago from being a long-time Windows user as well. In the Applications folder, you will find a how-to-use tutorial, you will learn a lot of things so don't miss out on it. It will be inside a folder inside Applications (so hit command + shift + A).
Thank you for that suggestion.I had no idea they had a how-to-use tutorial. I have also bought a tutorial book on Snow Leopard so I can get into more of the details after learning the basics.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
For future reference.
To take screenshots:
Press Command, Shift and 3. This will take the entire screen and place the png on your desktop.
Press Command, Shift and 4. This will give you a crosshair to drag anyway you'd like to take a screenshot of something.
Press Command, Shift, 4 and Spacebar. You'll see a camera icon, this will only take a screen shot of an applications window. IE- if you place the camera over the safari window it'll just take the picture of the safari window.
Command Q. Quits applications. Closing an application is different from Quitting one. You can close an application and the window will be gone, however the little light at the bottom of the dock will still be there. That means the application is still running. You must quit them.

Also, Command C. Copies. Command V. Pastes.

Theres tons more shortcuts out there to use.
Let any of us know if you need any applications that do certain tasks, im sure we can help you.

Quick tip... to keep iPhoto from opening everytime you connect your iPhone for syncing open iPhoto, go to iPhoto at the top, click on Preferences. On the General page, at the bottom you'll see "Connecting Camera opens" and a drop down menu beside it. Click "No Application". Tada... iPhoto wont open when you connect the iPhone or any camera. If you want to manage photos, just click on iphoto manually and your camera or iPhone will be there.

I took that screenshot with Command, shift 4 + spacebar.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
For future reference.
To take screenshots:
Press Command, Shift and 3. This will take the entire screen and place the png on your desktop.
Press Command, Shift and 4. This will give you a crosshair to drag anyway you'd like to take a screenshot of something.
Press Command, Shift, 4 and Spacebar. You'll see a camera icon, this will only take a screen shot of an applications window. IE- if you place the camera over the safari window it'll just take the picture of the safari window.
Command Q. Quits applications. Closing an application is different from Quitting one. You can close an application and the window will be gone, however the little light at the bottom of the dock will still be there. That means the application is still running. You must quit them.

Also, Command C. Copies. Command V. Pastes.

Theres tons more shortcuts out there to use.
Let any of us know if you need any applications that do certain tasks, im sure we can help you.

Quick tip... to keep iPhoto from opening everytime you connect your iPhone for syncing open iPhoto, go to iPhoto at the top, click on Preferences. On the General page, at the bottom you'll see "Connecting Camera opens" and a drop down menu beside it. Click "No Application". Tada... iPhoto wont open when you connect the iPhone or any camera. If you want to manage photos, just click on iphoto manually and your camera or iPhone will be there.

I took that screenshot with Command, shift 4 + spacebar.
Thanks Londonrockz. I appreciate those tips. I will print them out for future reference.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Press ctrl+alt+command+8 and see what happens...

To reverse, press the above again.