It's Official: iPhone SDK Coming In February

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
What? No fireworks? No one is dancing in the streets? No one is fainting from ecstatic enthusiasm? No one wet his pants?

Just days ago, some of you were branding Steve Jobs with the Mark of the Beast because "he wouldn't let you play games on your iPhone." You were swearing that there would be a revolution. You were going to fight back. You were mad as Hell and you weren't going to take it anymore!

Well, you're getting what you want. A real, bonifide, software developer kit to play with (probably similar to that chemistry set you got for Christmas last year). And, it works on the iPod Touch, too.

Where are the cheers?

rumpelgeist

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
What? No fireworks? No one is dancing in the streets? No one is fainting from ecstatic enthusiasm? No one wet his pants?

Just days ago, some of you were branding Steve Jobs with the Mark of the Beast because "he wouldn't let you play games on your iPhone." You were swearing that there would be a revolution. You were going to fight back. You were mad as Hell and you weren't going to take it anymore!

Well, you're getting what you want. A real, bonifide, software developer kit to play with (probably similar to that chemistry set you got for Christmas last year). And, it works on the iPod Touch, too.

Where are the cheers?
I wet my pants!

I would go change my underwear, but I rather like that warm, moist feeling!

Rumpelgeist

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
"Let me just say it: We want native third party applications on the iPhone, and we plan to have an SDK in developers’ hands in February." <--Kind of an "about face" by Steve it seems; NOT that I am complaining. I am not. Merely an observation.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
It is a 100% about face. Back when he said the phone was going to use webapps he said blankly that there were no plans to allow 3rd party native apps. This clearly is a case of SJ eating his words and he most likely does not want it thrown in his face.

This is very good news, the question is where it will all go? You know there will be a $ sign attached to each app. Those are more along the lines of details I want to know about (proposed structure, costs, trials, etc).

Maahu

Bronze
Sep 19, 2007
It is a 100% about face. Back when he said the phone was going to use webapps he said blankly that there were no plans to allow 3rd party native apps. This clearly is a case of SJ eating his words and he most likely does not want it thrown in his face.

This is very good news, the question is where it will all go? You know there will be a $ sign attached to each app. Those are more along the lines of details I want to know about (proposed structure, costs, trials, etc).
Yes, that, and how much of your life are you going to have to sign away to get legal access to the SDK?

Hmmm, let's see, given Apple's recent track record on the iPhone, I'm guessing it'll only work with Macs that have been unmodified, and if they are modified, the SDK or next OS will brick the computer. Also, you won't be able to use the SDK to upload apps to Apple's approved application site unless you sign up for a two-year contract with AT&T as your ISP. LOL

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007

Where are the cheers?
If Apple announced this in August, then yes. I would have wet my pants. I would be letting off fireworks. And I would faint.

But now, everyone knew it was coming. Of course, I'm still very happy about this. Just not such a big surprise.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007

Where are the cheers?

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007

Where are the cheers?

How EXCITING! :laugh2:

Last edited by a moderator:

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
i bet you stevie boy was sitting there bored and decided to jailbreak his phone and download ibrickr.... then he put on mobile chat, TTR, and maybe blackjack... then he went to the iToilet to drop one off as he played with the new apps and it dawned on him that he could make a bundle off apps because all the ideas are already done for him so he just has to make them all look like iTunes and slap a $5.99 price tag on them

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Is anyone surprised this news is coming out like 3 weeks before iPhone's release in Europe?

I'm still ghitty as a little school girl.