iTunes 11, From Delay to Delivery

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by Rafagon, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Wondering if the iTunes 11 release is going to be pushed back a second time. Its release has been "imminent" for some time now. Yes, the new UI will be fun to play with for about 10-15 minutes, but I have a bigger issue. For about a month or more now, my iMac has been freezing up completely, and these lock-ups occur only when I'm playing a song on iTunes. It's not the same song every time, so it isn't a corrupt song file. It's not even a song by the same artist each time, so I've ruled out the distinct possibility that my iMac hates "OK Go" and just doesn't wanna hear them anymore. Only my mouse pointer is spared from the freeze, and the music keeps on playing. It's a deep-freeze kind of freeze. The only remedy is powering down via the power button. I am hoping that iTunes 11 is going to fix this.

Anyone with inside info on what is going on with iTunes 11? Are they trying to avoid a Maps-like embarrassment again?

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Are you running ML? It's ruined my MBP :(

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Why yes, I am. Are you thinking the cold air of the high altitudes of the Mountains is causing the freeze-ups?

PS: Ruined how? Could you give me some examples?

4. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Yep, it's definitely because the air is thinner up there... thereforee half as much work gets done.

Since upgrading to ML from Lion it's slowed my MBP by half. Waking from sleep takes 45 seconds. It's disgusting.

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Hmmm... do you have SSD storage on your MBP? And how much RAM? Definitely not pointing the finger at you, but just wondering what's going on, so I couldn't even tell you if ML has affected my wake-up time. I rarely put my iMac to sleep. I read somewhere that staying all-on all-the-time is better for HD longevity.

If you find cheap RAM prices online, maybe you could add more RAM, just for sh**s and giggles. :D

6. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

There are still a few days left in November. No reason to think they're going to delay it again until Dec 1 rolls around.

iTunes 10.7 on mountain lion works fine for me, but I am curious to play around with the new UI and also the improved iTunes match.

7. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I had a huge issue with iTunes. About a week ago if I clicked sign out it would freeze. Was up to date on versions. No idea why it was happening. Everything else worked but when I clicked sign out from any of the three spots that you can do that it froze.
    I solved the problem. I went and bought a new computer.

8. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I just noticed Remote app 3.0 update on my phone. Maybe this is supposed to coincide with the iTunes 11 release?