iTunes 11 released, super official

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Finally the green maximize button actually maximizes the window. The Mini player now has its own button next to the full-screen button at the top right.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I've recently switched back from XBMC to iTunes to drive the music in my home. I've been looking forward to this update. I hope a few areas in particular are addressed.

Downloading now...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Also, finally TV shows are grouped under one icon per show, not one icon for each season of each show. Groups much more nicely now.

tyTkd.jpg

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
Does anyone know if it they fixed the ATH.exe issue? Did you ever have it? It was related to WiFi sync. When WiFi sync was enabled on both my iPhone 4 and ipad 2, this ATH.exe file used 25% of my processor. Disabled it and it stopped. Odd thing was it used it on all 4 cores. My usage history would show, with no applications running other than normal processes mind you, 25% on each core.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I just upgrade to 11. It seems simple. Bit of a disappointment, I'll be honest. I like the "Artist Gallery" when you're in the iTunes Store to see band pictures. Cute. CAKE better hurry it on up and add some pictures of their own. At least Jack Johnson has five. Although, really, if I feel a sudden need for photos of artists, it takes me 0.5 second to be at my browser, and another 1.5 seconds to do a Google image search.

Looks like a lot of the improvements center around the iTunes Store. For obvious reasons. The more time we spend there, the more we click on "Buy now!"

Why can't I download the "Artist Gallery" to my iTunes and have it stored locally? Obviously, Internet is up 99.99% of the time, unless the weather gets extremely inclement, but I like to have content stored locally. Isn't that why we have 2TB and 3TB drives? Oh, yeah... if we keep those five super-exclusive photos locally, it saves us a trip to the iTunes Store, and that ever-present chance of hitting that "Buy" button on something else we may run while we're there.

Cover Flow is gone, or am I just missing it? That was always a nice aesthetic touch, and the reason why I would always try to have find 1200x1200 cover art whenever possible for music I ripped from my CD collection. I never even trusted "Get Album Artwork" to get the best possible image. I liked to find them manually on Google, often spending as long as five minutes per cover art to find the largest and most accurate image with 1:1 aspect ratio. If Cover Flow is gone, I guess that hard work just went out the window. I mean, at least the images are still there in tile view or whatever it's called.

What is that iCloud icon besides each episode of my TV shows and only some of my music videos? I absolutely don't want them in the cloud exclusively. I want them on my HD at all times (AND in the cloud, in case my computer explodes). I tapped one of them and the cloud itself went from white to gray. Tapped it again, but it's not going back to white.

Not a single new Visualizer. Doesn't anyone realize that those are awesome to watch on a big-screen TV during parties? And in some cases, they're ever better than the actual videos for the songs.

Maybe Apple could put some Visualizers on the iTunes Store and sell them at $2 a pop. If they're really awesome, *I* would buy them. I'd be much more likely to buy one of those than spend money on a Ringtone or an Alert Tone.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I found this interesting. I haven't updated the netbook in the bathroom yet.

oBQM8.jpg

Personally I find the new icon ugly. Why do they feel the need to change it just to change it?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
This time. I'm sure they'll change it again before adding any actual new features.

I don't know why they bother with crap like this when the Remote app is still woefully inadequate? Why can't it remain connected for fast control and offer lockscreen/taskswitcher functionality like third party apps do?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
This time. I'm sure they'll change it again before adding any actual new features.

I don't know why they bother with crap like this when the Remote app is still woefully inadequate? Why can't it remain connected for fast control and offer lockscreen/taskswitcher functionality like third party apps do?
Yeah, that is annoying. Have you tried the Remote Pro app? Not sure about lockscreen capabilities, but it has a 'prevent device sleep' switch.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
dumb question, but how do you change iTunes 11 into a mini player in Windows 7? I can't seem to find the icon in the upper right corner in iTunes.
On a Mac, you go to iTunes > Window > Mini Player. Do you have a Window tab in iTunes on Windows 8?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Lockscreen real estate isn't cheap. They already had to shrink the "slide to unlock" space just to add camera functionality. I guess they could devote a half-inch strip immediately above the "slide to unlock" area for basic Remote functions. Not sure how badly Apple wants to keep that lock screen as uncluttered as possible.