iTunes 12.2 released; questions and discussion

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by Rafagon, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I just updated to iTunes 12.2. When I launched the app, something started happening that threw me off.

iTunes was uploading all my music to the cloud. I would only expect this if I was an iTunes Match subscriber, but I am not. I had never seen this before, so I'm assuming it's something brand new on iTunes 12.2.

If ones goes to iTunes > Preferences > General, there is a checkbox labeled iCloud Music Library, with a description of "Access your songs and playlists from all your devices."

I don't mind agreeing to this if it's only going to use my iCloud storage (I'm on the 5 GB - Free plan). Is this what's going on here? It will upload as much of my music as it can fit into my iCloud storage? Will it fill up my iCloud storage to capacity, such that I will not be able to continue saving files (i.e. Pages documents, Numbers spreadsheets, etc.) to my iCloud storage?

#1 Rafagon, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I just updated to iTunes 12.2 on my Mac and I don't see this checkbox.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It might only ask you on one device. I enabled it on my phone. I haven't updated iTunes yet so I don't know yet if it will ask me there as well, but I doubt it will.
    I'll test this and get back to you. I haven't updated iTunes yet.

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Sure? Go to iTunes > Preferences (or press ⌘,) (Command + Comma), then you should see it:

prefs.jpg

UPDATE: I just now noticed a new one list box. Stars & Loves? What is that?

The help screen doesn't even list it. Way to go, Apple. Rushing things out again:

help screen.png

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm still downloading the iTunes update so I can't check it to be sure, but I think that just means you can rate your songs with stars and hearts (as in songs you love).

6. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I am so excited about all the new music feature Apple has added. I was against paying for a music service until now.
    I updated my devices yesterday and finally got to take a look last night.
    I created some kid of profile and a @nickname
    It was very slow and I got tons of glitches. My playlist only repopulated on my phone not iPad? My paid music is in iTunes only and in the cloud. I have not yet found a pay button from the music App. I guess I really should not buy anymore songs if I can listen to them through the service?
    I will look in depth at my Mac today.

7. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Dude, I know how to find the iTunes Preferences. :rolleyes:

This is what mine looks like.

itunespref.png

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I apologize. I'm used to talking to people who aren't that computer-savvy, so sometimes I get stuck in that mode, thinking I have to give step-by-step directions to everyone. :)

But, that is weird. Why would you be missing an entire option? When you check your Preferences help screen, is the option mentioned there? Apple's quality control department needs a swift kick in the behind.

I assume your were signed into your Apple ID on your iTunes, so I won't ask that.

Maybe Apple pushed out an update, realized that something was amiss, and then "quietly" pushed out another update a bit later. If that happened, perhaps you got the earlier one, and I got the latter one (I updated several hours after you).

Is your iTunes exact version number "12.2.0.145" with build version "1220C157"?

Incidentally, I found out… to a degree… what the "Stars & Loves" that I mentioned in an earlier post are for. When I Loved (heart icon) a track, it told me that my having done that, and continuing to do that, would help Apple give me songs I have a better chance of liking (not an exact quote). But that is very vague. Do the Loves carry more weight than the stars? Or do both stars and "Loves" carry equal weight when determining what songs are served to me by the Apple Music Streaming service? What happens if I only do stars and no "Loves"?

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

@Kadelic, I have the same option in iTunes on my Mac that @Rafagon has. Did you start the free trial of Apple Music and enable iCloud Music Library on your phone first?

10. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I haven't started the free trial yet. I don't think I've ever enabled iCloud Music Library on my phone either. My phone is still on 8.3, BTW.

11. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

No worries man, I was just ribbin' ya. ;)

Yep, I have the same version. It must have something to do with the fact that I haven't started the free trial and/or enabled iCloud Music Library.

12. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I just started the free trial of Apple Music and behold, that check box is now there.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

The box was checked by default and iTunes started uploading all my music to iCloud as well! I'm surprised this was the default without so much as a pop-up window to ask or at least warn you what was going on. Like you, I don't want to buy any additional iCloud storage. What the heck Apple?

Has anyone gained any insight into this iCloud Music Library business? Does it actually upload your music to iCloud or just a list of your music as a reference and without using any of your storage space?

Yikes! Seems like there has been some bad experiences with folks that have updated to 12.2. I'm glad I did a fresh TimeMachine backup this morning! https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7104505

This article might shed some light on the iCloud Music Library: https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/3bpamg/a_quick_primer_on_icloud_music_library_witunes_122/

14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

15. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I'm going to steer clear of iCloud Music Library. It seems like it could become a giant clustermug if you ever decide to cancel the Apple Music service, which I most likely will.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm not sure if it was Apple Music or the iTunes update, but my iTunes library got messed up a bit. It took almost an hour to fix it manually. I just had to find the correct location for over 100 songs.

17. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

How did you notice it? I have so much music I might not notice it for months or longer.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I got a popup message in iTunes when I synced today that looked something like this:
    "Some of the items in the iTunes library, (including "..."), were not copied to the iPhone "iPhone 6" because the [music could not be found]. When I expanded it, it had 100 songs listed. Those songs all had exclamation points next to them in my music library and I had to direct iTunes to them one at a time.

19. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

That's the kind of thing that really chaps my hide! I guess Apple doesn't do very much real world testing during the beta phase. I just got an error that aa bunch of items couldn't sync and I thought I was going to throw a fit. My error was "not enough free space" instead of "could not be found." Looking at the list of songs I realized they were all from an an artist who I recently added a bunch of music from, but hadn't synced yet. I was almost at my storage limit anyway, so that's not too surprising. Still, the issues I've read about peoples music libraries getting FUBAR makes me SMH at Apple and their premature updates.

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've been reading about a lot of problems with this version. I just saw this post on another forum:

"Apple music added the song "no better" by lorde into one of my playlists six million times. Now my iTunes crashes every time I open it. What. The..."