iTunes 12.6.3 Now Available with Apps and Ringtones Syncing Restored

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Apple has released iTunes 12.6.3, apparently in response to users who didn't like not being able to sync their apps and ringtones directly from iTunes 12.7.

Of course, iTunes 12.6.3 cannot read 12.7's iTunes Library.itl file, so use a recent backup from your previous iTunes 12.6.x library. I followed this video tutorial and it worked great for me.

Further information on installing iTunes 12.6.3 is here.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
I wonder if versions beyond 12.7.0.166 will re-incorporate the app store as well.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
I wonder what the reasoning was for removing that functionality in the first place? I will miss using iTunes to shop for an app as it is definitely a lot easier looking for and researching an app on my computer than on the small screen of my phone. I'm guessing that if I go through all the trouble now of going back to 12.6.3, will apple will probably find some other way to cajole or coerce the average user off of it in the near future anyway so why bother. It seems like Apple has a penchant for trying to fix things that aren't broke and then won't be bothered with explaining to us common folk the reasons why they made the change. Hey Apple, read the next line in this post will ya'!!

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
I couldn't agree more. Apple could have at least given us a separate method of accessing the App Store via computer rather than having to do it only from the small screen on the phone. That would have been much more equitable than eliminating computer access entirely.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Why does it make sense to have two versions of the app? Just makes things more confusing.

Why don't they just roll back 12.7 and be done with it?

They made a mistake. Is it that difficult to admit the mistake?

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Why does it make sense to have two versions of the app? Just makes things more confusing.

Why don't they just roll back 12.7 and be done with it?

They made a mistake. Is it that difficult to admit the mistake?
Apple put out this version because companies that need to deploy apps to large numbers of devices needed the "old" way of doing it. Installing a large number of apps through the App Store on each device wouldn't cut it.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Apple put out this version because companies that need to deploy apps to large numbers of devices needed the "old" way of doing it. Installing a large number of apps through the App Store on each device wouldn't cut it.
I know but now we have 2 versions of iTunes and there is a ton of confusion.

Can't Apple get this right? Can't stuff "just work" anymore? :(

Flyingstar

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
So. Cal
I tried downloading the 12.6.3 itunes but it will not install. I get a pop up that says: "there is a newer version of itunes installed on this computer" I tried twice. Any help?

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I tried downloading the 12.6.3 itunes but it will not install. I get a pop up that says: "there is a newer version of itunes installed on this computer" I tried twice. Any help?
If you're using a Mac:

http://osxdaily.com/2017/09/17/downgrade-itunes-12-7-to-itunes-12-6/

However, I had to stop using iTunes 12.6.3 and update to the latest version before I could sync my iPhone running 11.3. I just learned how to drag and drop my apps and ringtones into iTunes 12.7.x.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
I'm using a PC had a similar issue a couple months ago and I remember having to find and completely uninstall every vestige of iTunes. I Googled "How to completely remove iTunes from my computer" which involves uninstalling 5 or 6 apple programs in a particular order. After following those instructions I then Googled the "There is a newer version of iTunes installed on this computer" error message I was getting while trying to install the earlier version of iTunes and found out about the library file and manually deleted it. After all of that, I was finally able to install the older version of iTunes on my PC. Hope this helps, good luck.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I'm using a PC had a similar issue a couple months ago and I remember having to find and completely uninstall every vestige of iTunes. I Googled "How to completely remove iTunes from my computer" which involves uninstalling 5 or 6 apple programs in a particular order. After following those instructions I then Googled the "There is a newer version of iTunes installed on this computer" error message I was getting while trying to install the earlier version of iTunes and found out about the library file and manually deleted it. After all of that, I was finally able to install the older version of iTunes on my PC. Hope this helps, good luck.
I never had to delete my entire music library. I just had to back up my iTunes library files (.itl, etc.).)

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
My apologies, I should have taken more time and written that post a little more accurately. The iTunes Library.itl file was the one I had to find and remove by renaming it to iTunes Libraryitl.old, not the entire music library before reinstalling the earlier version of iTunes. I don't remember if I did anything with the other files/folders in the same folder the iTunes Library.itl file was in. The uninstall of iTunes and its associated other programs does not remove that file. A few days later I deleted the previously renamed iTunes Libraryitl.old file without issue.

Last edited: