iTunes 12.6.3 Now Available with Apps and Ringtones Syncing Restored

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by Napoleon PhoneApart, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Apple has released iTunes 12.6.3, apparently in response to users who didn't like not being able to sync their apps and ringtones directly from iTunes 12.7.

Of course, iTunes 12.6.3 cannot read 12.7's iTunes Library.itl file, so use a recent backup from your previous iTunes 12.6.x library. I followed this video tutorial and it worked great for me.

Further information on installing iTunes 12.6.3 is here.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I wonder if versions beyond 12.7.0.166 will re-incorporate the app store as well.

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Probably not. 12.6.3 was put out there mainly for businesses that have to deploy apps on large numbers of iDevices.

4. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I wonder what the reasoning was for removing that functionality in the first place? I will miss using iTunes to shop for an app as it is definitely a lot easier looking for and researching an app on my computer than on the small screen of my phone. I'm guessing that if I go through all the trouble now of going back to 12.6.3, will apple will probably find some other way to cajole or coerce the average user off of it in the near future anyway so why bother. It seems like Apple has a penchant for trying to fix things that aren't broke and then won't be bothered with explaining to us common folk the reasons why they made the change. Hey Apple, read the next line in this post will ya'!!

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

To get rid of bloat and streamline iTunes. Sort of a silly way to go about it, if you ask me.

6. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I couldn't agree more. Apple could have at least given us a separate method of accessing the App Store via computer rather than having to do it only from the small screen on the phone. That would have been much more equitable than eliminating computer access entirely.

7. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Why does it make sense to have two versions of the app? Just makes things more confusing.

Why don't they just roll back 12.7 and be done with it?

They made a mistake. Is it that difficult to admit the mistake?

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Apple put out this version because companies that need to deploy apps to large numbers of devices needed the "old" way of doing it. Installing a large number of apps through the App Store on each device wouldn't cut it.

9. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

I know but now we have 2 versions of iTunes and there is a ton of confusion.

Can't Apple get this right? Can't stuff "just work" anymore? :(

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I fail to see very much confusion. If you want the old functionality, get 12.6.3. Otherwise, stick with 12.7.

Most normal people don't even know about 12.6.3.

11. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

I had to install it. I hated the new iTunes.

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Same here. I want my bloated iTunes for Mac.

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

@Hondamaker Wow. I just wanted to check to see what you agreed with me on! :D

14. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

Hey, I agree with you quite a bit!