iTunes 7.4 Ends Free Ringtones (for now)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

blacklabel775

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I wanted to warn all of the iPhone users who have added ringtones to their iPhones with programs like iToner or other applications/methods. An article on iPhoneAtlas.com states:

"Unfortunately, iTunes 7.4 also interferes with third-party tools for adding ringtones to the iPhone, including Ambrosia Software’s iToner. iTunes will wipe out any custom ringtones transferred with the tool and others, even if the option to sync ringtones is not selected. It will also wipe custom ringtones for contacts."

So, for now, I am choosing not to update to iTunes 7.4 and if you would like to retain any added ringtones I would suggest that you do the same.

Fortunately the people at iPhoneAtlas.com did offer a glimpse of hope.

"The ringtones are actually still there, but the iPhone doesn’t know about them because the “index” file gets blown away by iTunes. The good news is, we think we can fix it. Stay tuned."

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
All of my ringtones (3 of them I got for free) that I made using iPhoneringtone Maker were deleted with the iTunes 7.4 update. However, all of the ringtones I made using iBrickr are still on my iPhone. So there is already a way of getting around the update.

KPSK

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
i lost my ringtones also when updated to newer version of iTunes. Was using iPhoneringtone maker.:mad:

Revans310

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Very Cool.

Dear iPhoneRingToneMaker customer,
iPhoneRingToneMaker works with iTunes 7.4. However, every time you sync your iPhone with iTunes, the ringtones you sent to your iPhone with iPhoneRingToneMaker are removed from the list due to iTunes new syncing method. We are working on resolving this. In the mean time, if you use iPhoneRingToneMaker, we suggest you hold off on upgrading to iTunes 7.4.
Sincerely,
Efiko Software support

lci3341

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Very Cool.

Dear iPhoneRingToneMaker customer,
iPhoneRingToneMaker works with iTunes 7.4. However, every time you sync your iPhone with iTunes, the ringtones you sent to your iPhone with iPhoneRingToneMaker are removed from the list due to iTunes new syncing method. We are working on resolving this. In the mean time, if you use iPhoneRingToneMaker, we suggest you hold off on upgrading to iTunes 7.4.
Sincerely,
Efiko Software support

Awesome.... Keeping my ringtones is more important than upgrading right now.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Yeah, who cares about the new iTunes. Avoid it at all costs is my opinion. It offers nothing we need right now except a new way for Apple to swindle money from you that you shouldn't have to give in the first place.

If you bought the song, you shouldn't need to pay more money to use it for a different purpose. You already have the rights to it, whether you play it on your phone, in your car, or as a ring tone. I've always thought it was dishonest to make the consumer have to repurchase a song simply to use it as a ringtone. And I will ALWAYS boycott anything that tries to make me do that.

veedubcos

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
7.4 is crap IMO. I made the mistake of updating..and lost my ringtones... so now im waiting on iPhoneringtonemaker to make their magic happen.

lci3341

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Apple doesn't even sell the songs I am using for ringtones. That's the problem with only being able to use ringtones from iTunes store; But that's alway why we have great developers who will figure out how to get around it.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I used ibrickr and all my ringtones stayed.

the upgrade to 7.4 will not be worth it ever since all it did was add ringtone functionality, which most on the board have. I'm sure a few other little features were added, but I have it and noticed nothing as far as iPhone is concerned.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Just saw this fix on modmyiPhone.com

To fix this, follow these instructions:

1. Open up iTunes 7.4
2. Click Ringtones Tab under your iPhone.
3. Uncheck the 'Sync Ringtones' box.
4. Exit iTunes
5. Run iRingtoner.
6. Close iRingtoner.
7. Restart your phone.

Now all your ringtones should be back.

Now everytime you open iTunes, it won't sync your "iTunes Ringtones" and it will keep your custom free ringtones.
edit: Some say it works, some say it doesn't

KPSK

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I just unchecked the sync ringtone option in iTunes and redone ringtones and resync and ringtones stayed.

pooter

Aug 13, 2007
I unchecked sync ringtones, added them via iPhoneringtonemaker, rebooted, and it didn't work. :( The ringtone disappeared when it synced again.