iTunes 7.6 update breaks iPhone sync

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
I did the upgrade to 1.1.3 and then updated iTunes to 7.6 on my work PC (sync calendar there - Win XP SP2) and then updated my home laptop (Vista Ultimate) to iTunes 7.6 but my iPhone can no longer be detected by iTunes and will not show up in the list. I followed all of the recommendations in the Apple.com Support document http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93716 but nothing seems to work. I even downloaded and installed iTunes 7.5, but it won't recognize any of my media because 7.6 updates the library with a new format that previous versions do not recognize. However, the iPhone does show up, and I know the 7.5 driver is good.

Thoughts?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I did the upgrade to 1.1.3 and then updated iTunes to 7.6 on my work PC (sync calendar there - Win XP SP2) and then updated my home laptop (Vista Ultimate) to iTunes 7.6 but my iPhone can no longer be detected by iTunes and will not show up in the list. I followed all of the recommendations in the Apple.com Support document http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93716 but nothing seems to work. I even downloaded and installed iTunes 7.5, but it won't recognize any of my media because 7.6 updates the library with a new format that previous versions do not recognize. However, the iPhone does show up, and I know the 7.5 driver is good.

Thoughts?
You should have updated to 7.6 first, then the iPhone. I would un-install the 7.6 and reboot, then install 7.6 again, make sure to reboot, then sync the phone.

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
You should have updated to 7.6 first, then the iPhone. I would un-install the 7.6 and reboot, then install 7.6 again, make sure to reboot, then sync the phone.
Tried that, still didn't work. In the last two days I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling probably 20 times, sometimes even clearing the registry and installer files. It just doesn't seem to work. Windows sees the iPhone as a digital camera. The Apple device drivers don't seem to work in 7.6. I can't seem to convince Windows that there is another Apple driver that should be used.

It used to work so well. Now I can't seem to get it to work no matter what. I am half-tempted to kill off my library files and go back to 7.5 and rebuild them, but would really rather not as I want to be able to rent movies and do the drag and drop manual sync that 7.6 allows. Ugh.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
The problem is the driver, I have read this situation before, give me a few minutes to find it.

Tried that, still didn't work. In the last two days I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling probably 20 times, sometimes even clearing the registry and installer files. It just doesn't seem to work. Windows sees the iPhone as a digital camera. The Apple device drivers don't seem to work in 7.6. I can't seem to convince Windows that there is another Apple driver that should be used.

It used to work so well. Now I can't seem to get it to work no matter what. I am half-tempted to kill off my library files and go back to 7.5 and rebuild them, but would really rather not as I want to be able to rent movies and do the drag and drop manual sync that 7.6 allows. Ugh.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Here is what I found:

1. Reinstall iTunes as the "iTuneshelper.exe" .

2. Check device manager to see if it just shows as "iPhone" with an exclamation mark, so uninstall device.

3. Re boot the computer, open iTunes and then dock the phone and XP should re-install a fresh driver.

Or if you have a saved restore point in XP you could go back a week and restore your computer to that and it will work fine.

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
Here is what I found:

1. Reinstall iTunes as the "iTuneshelper.exe" .

2. Check device manager to see if it just shows as "iPhone" with an exclamation mark, so uninstall device.

3. Re boot the computer, open iTunes and then dock the phone and XP should re-install a fresh driver.

Or if you have a saved restore point in XP you could go back a week and restore your computer to that and it will work fine.
My XP machine at work didn't have a problem, it was my Vista Ultimate laptop that is having the issue. Do you have a source for this fix? Is there a version of the fix for Vista?

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
Finally fixed it, but it wasn't easy. After a few more tries at uninstalling and reinstalling, I grabbed the driver folders from both of my work machines (one Vista, one XPSP2) where iTunes was working and copied them to my laptop that was having the problem. I uninstalled the Apple Mobile Device Support (so the driver wouldn't be loaded) and then plugged in the iPhone. Once it installed the same old digital camera driver, I opened up the Device Manager and tried to install the iPhone drivers from the other Vista machine first. That didn't work (can't find the files specified) and then I tried the XP drivers. Sure enough, they installed. I then reinstalled iTunes and rebooted, plugged in my iPhone and it synced.

I found this discussion on the Apple support forums for anyone who may need help with this:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6350402

It's where I got the idea, and it also gave the location of the actual driver installation files.

Case closed.