iTunes 8.1 is out

scottjf8

Silver
Aug 12, 2008
iTunes 8.1 is now faster and more responsive. You will enjoy noticeable improvements when working with large libraries, browsing the iTunes Store, preparing to sync with iPod or iPhone, and optimizing photos for syncing.

In addition, iTunes 8.1 provides many other improvements and bug fixes, including:

- Supports syncing with iPod shuffle (3rd generation)
- Allows friends to request songs for iTunes DJ
- Adds Genius sidebar for your Movies and TV Shows
- Improves performance when downloading iTunes Plus songs
- Provides AutoFill for manually managed iPods
- Allows CDs to be imported at the same sound quality as iTunes Plus
- Includes many accessibility improvements
- Allows iTunes U and the iTunes Store to be disabled separately using Parental Controls

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
Maybe now my 60k song library will quit crashing...somehow I doubt it.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
faster iTunes is always nice.

thanks for the heads up.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Maybe now my 60k song library will quit crashing...somehow I doubt it.
? woooooow, you must be rich. :rolleyes:

As usual, the speed improvements seem to be much more so in the Mac land than the PC land. Syncing does seem to be a bit faster, though, so I'm happy.

My biggest complaint as a PC user: Every time I update iTunes, my shortcuts break. Even though it's installing to the same directory and the same .exe, it's like a whole new program to XP. Why?

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
You use safari for windows...
I don't even use it on my mac haha. Mostly because I couldn't get used to it after using firefox since v0.8 but for iTunes one windows is pretty crappy what with all the processes that it adds. I can't image safari for windows.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.

As usual, the speed improvements seem to be much more so in the Mac land than the PC land. Syncing does seem to be a bit faster, though, so I'm happy.

My biggest complaint as a PC user: Every time I update Safari, my shortcuts break. Even though it's installing to the same directory and the same .exe, it's like a whole new program to XP. Why?
This has to be you. I've never had that happen, nor anyone at work (all PCs)

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
It usually breaks my quick launch iTunes icon, which is kind of inconvenient.

iTunes has always seemed faster on OS X (on my PC) that it has on Windows. For Windows, it has always seemed sluggish...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
For heaven's sake, London, QUIT BRAGGING about how much music you steal! Do you think it's cool or something? Reality check: it's not.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
For heaven's sake, London, QUIT BRAGGING about how much music you steal! Do you think it's cool or something? Reality check: it's not.
For some reason that reminded me of something stewie griffin would say.
Yeah but I agree, it does get annoying when people say stuff like that.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska

My biggest complaint as a PC user: Every time I update iTunes, my shortcuts break. Even though it's installing to the same directory and the same .exe, it's like a whole new program to XP. Why?
Most of it came from the Napster/Free music days.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I just realized that the new iTunes supports finger gestures finally lol.
(e.g. three finger swipe for back and forward in the iTunes store)