iTunes 8.2 Officially Released.. 3.0 To Follow?

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
So Apple has Officially take iTunes 8.2 out of beta and released it to the public. Do you guys think we will be seeing iPhone 3.0 official release soon?

iTunes 8.2 now supports iPhone or iPod touch with the iPhone 3.0 Software Update. iTunes 8.2 also includes many accessibility improvements and bug fixes.
LifeHacker

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
So Apple has Officially take iTunes 8.2 out of beta and released it to the public. Do you guys think we will be seeing iPhone 3.0 official release soon?

LifeHacker
Not until WWDC next week. I think it will be released sometime between June 9th and the release of the new iPhone.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
i have a hunch 3.0 will be released on the day of wwdc rather than closer to the date of the new iPhone.
I agree, the supposed expiration date of beta 5 is June 19th and they usually gave us a week with every beta to update. Sometime the week of WWDC 8th-12th we might either see a basically final release but still a beta and expires just to hold us out or we will actually see the final release.

If I was Apple, I would release it Friday along with an aggressive ad campaign "All your friends have an iPhone, so why don't you copy and paste and be just like them!" Get the buzz out right as the Pre releases. If they wait til July (assuming a new iPhone release then), that gives the Pre a month to try to take some businesss. Of course with the Pre not being heavily stocked on release date, that may hurt their sales also.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Ok now anyone on 3.0 beta, does the official 8.2 work for you? I installed it since they don't offer the 8.2 beta on the dev site so I figured they just wanted us to be on the official 8.2.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
I had to uninstall the Apple mobile device driver and uninstall, then reinstall iTunes for it to work, but once I reinstalled it all went well. Back up took longer than it did on the prerelease.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I had to uninstall the Apple mobile device driver and uninstall, then reinstall iTunes for it to work, but once I reinstalled it all went well. Back up took longer than it did on the prerelease.
Thanks that worked :) Yeah the back up was a little long, I wonder why the prerelease was so much better.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Apple had to have learned a lesson from the mess of the disaster last year with the release of upgrade and iPhone on same day.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Apple had to have learned a lesson from the mess of the disaster last year with the release of upgrade and iPhone on same day.
Yeah I am betting we will see 3.0 in June and the new iPhone in July. Although I would love to see the new iPhone come out in June too, but I doubt that will happen.

fsas06

Silver
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas
has anyone with a jailbroken phone use the new iTunes ? on modmyi.com they have a post saying if your jail broken it "could lead to unexpected app termination or arbitrary code execution" im not sure what that all means. but i being jailbroken is a problem, i would like to know i could just back up my phone then get on regular beta 5

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
has anyone with a jailbroken phone use the new iTunes ? on modmyi.com they have a post saying if your jail broken it "could lead to unexpected app termination or arbitrary code execution" im not sure what that all means. but i being jailbroken is a problem, i would like to know i could just back up my phone then get on regular beta 5
I am not jailbroken, but I did read an article that brought up the security improvements in 8.2:

http://www.pcworld.com/businessscen...ation_of_iphone_30_apple_posts_iTunes_82.html
Apple also improved security in iTunes 8.2. According to a notice, Apple has improved bounds checking in 8.2 to prevent a stack buffer overflow problem that could lead to unexpected app termination or arbitrary code execution
People are jailbroken on betas which means they probably use 8.2 prerelease, so for now just stick with one of the prerelease versions.

fsas06

Silver
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas
i tryed to go back to one of the prerelease versions, but it said my iTunes library playlist was made with a newer version of iTunes.
hopefully it will let me at least back up my phone then i can just to a restore to regular beta5

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
i tryed to go back to one of the prerelease versions, but it said my iTunes library playlist was made with a newer version of iTunes.
hopefully it will let me at least back up my phone then i can just to a restore to regular beta5
You should be able to back it up, but if not then just use another computer to back it up and restore with the prerelease. Then move over to the 8.2 final release on your main computer.

Here's the Apple support information on the security update, it's a little better description on the update: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3592

fsas06

Silver
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas
it has let me back up, thats good and im puting new songs on so, so far its working lol

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Someone brought up the idea that the new coding could be to defeat the Pre from accessing iTunes.
I am surprised we haven't seen someone try it on the final 8.2. I mean there's enough people including BGR who have the Pre and I thought we would have seen something about the new iTunes by now. Let's hope everyone updates before they realize it breaks the Pre's ability to do this. This is the closest thing saying it might have broken the ability: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/06/itunes-update-may-or-may-not-break-palm-pre-syncing/
And the troubles Palm might have put themselves into if they end up not being able to break into iTunes.