iTunes 8.2 on Mac not seeing iPhone

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
A few questions. Did it ever used to recognize your iPhone. Has your iPhone been registered with another computer besides the Mac? Are you running the latest versions of iTunes for the Mac?

bluedrib

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
The Boot "Louisiana"
i finally got it working on my mac ppc. i followed these instruction and iTunes 8.2 recognized my phone and updated to 3.0before by hold option and clicking check for update then location the 3.0before ipsw file.
Follow these steps to get iTunes 8.2 working:

In the Finder, locate iTunes in the Applications folder and drag it to the Trash.
Move the iTunes icon to the Trash
Choose Go > Go to Folder.
Enter /System/Library/Extensions and click Go.
Locate the file AppleMobileDevice.kext and drag it to the Trash.
Choose Go > Go to Folder.
Enter /Library/Receipts/ and click Go.
Locate the file AppleMobileDeviceSupport.pkg and drag it to the Trash. If prompted, authenticate with the admin password.
Choose Finder > Empty Trash and restart the computer.
Download and install the current version of iTunes: (which is currently 8.2 beta)

trewbux

May 2, 2009
I'm having the same problem on my powerbook G4 OS 10.4.11. Is this the only way to fix it? I'm a little apprehensive about deleting files from system/library folders. Is your iTunes library and everything preserved after reinstalling?

trewbux

May 2, 2009
Ok, I followed the instructions (twice) and iTunes still won't recognize my iPhone. Should I be installing from the 8.2 update released to developers or a different install package?

trewbux

May 2, 2009
Nevermind, I got it working - after I did those steps I installed iTunes 8.1.1 from the Apple website, then updated to 8.2 and now it works

torering

May 3, 2009
In order to reinstall 8.1.1. you deleted 8.2, right? Is the backup still there after deleting 8.2..?