iTunes 8 today, but what time?

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
When is right....having to wait until Friday for 2.1 is bad enough. Give me iTunes 8.0 NOW

okinawascubadiver

Sep 9, 2008
Affecting pwned phones?

I was wondering if this will affect the phone? I am running 2.0.2 on a jailbroken iPhone 3g. I want to update iTunes but not sure if I need to wait till the 2.1 firmware is out and jailbroken before I should upgrade my iTunes.

Thanks for any insight

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Ah another Texan. My theory is that they are rolling it out in regions so that they don't crash their servers like what happened on the day of the 3G launch.

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I just updated an app to see how long my backup will take with iTunes 8.0... I'm timing it with the stop watch on my v1 phone. Right now it's about 3/4 done and I'm already at 4 minutes. My backups always complete in less than 5 minutes.

Ok... first sync/backup completed in 5:13.

I'm going to do the same thing again with another app to see if it was longer because it had to create a brand new backup. I'll report back here.

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Thank Rob. PLEASE tell me that in 8.0 you have options on what exactly you back up.
Negative bro... right when you hit sync it begins the backup process just like the previous version of iTunes. Maybe that will come with iPhone update 2.1?

Anyway, I just completed the second backup and as I suspected it went much quicker than the first one. It was completed in 3:07.

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Damn, did you check in the preferences under sync? The damn Apple support techs, I have talked to them so much I added them to my Christmas card list LOL, said that with the new release of iTunes you would have the option whether or not you wanted to back up calendars, contacts, apps, etc. Maybe it will be something with the new iPhone update but it makes more sense that it is an iTunes issue.

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Damn, did you check in the preferences under sync? The damn Apple support techs, I have talked to them so much I added them to my Christmas card list LOL, said that with the new release of iTunes you would have the option whether or not you wanted to back up calendars, contacts, apps, etc. Maybe it will be something with the new iPhone update but it makes more sense that it is an iTunes issue.
Just checked preferences and the syncing tab is no longer an option. However, in Devices there's an option to "Disable automatic syncing for iPhones and iPods". I don't remember if that was there in the previous version or not. I've been fortunate enough to not have the backup headaches so I could have overlooked that in the past.

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Wow, the syncing tab was where you could see and remove old backups. They must have chnaged things around. Thanks for the info Rob.

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
You can delete the old backup file from the Devices tab now. I think they just renamed the tab. Does your old iTunes have the option to disable automatic syncing?

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
If you are hitting update tab in iTunes, and get iTunes 7.7.1 is the current version. Go directly to Apple's site to download 8.0. I love the new interface, WOW! Mark
That's how I got it. I'm not a fan of attempting to update through the program itself especially on a big rollout day. Yes, I agree nice interface in 8.0!

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
If you download iTunes 8.0 but see the 7.7.1 interface, it's because you don't have the current version of Quicktime. Download the latest version of Quicktime and you will see the new interface in 8.0 When did Apple stop bundling Quicktime with iTunes. It was bundled with the 8.0 version for Windows, but not Mac, hmmm...Mark