iTunes account locked

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by coop1701, Feb 20, 2012.

1. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

Odd thing happened this weekend. My iTunes account was locked out. My wife noticed that when she was trying to buy a movie on Apple TV. This happened Saturday night.

Then on Sunday night, she attempted to buy a App on her phone and her account was also locked out. Giving the same message I had the other night, that my account was locked due to the password being entered wrong too many times.

I think it's very odd, that someone would try to get in both our accounts at the same time.

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

That is odd, but I'm not surprised since you mentioned you were using Apple TV. I find mine is very finicky when accessing and authorizing content. I receive messages that iTunes is busy -- sometimes going out and back in jogs it's memory. It's tremendously annoying, since I've paid for the programs.

Here's the fix:
    This Apple ID has been disabled for security reasons" alert appears

3. FuelieNova

FuelieNova Contributor
    Silver

I got exactly the same message on my iPhone today when I went to update an app. It made me update my password to 8 chars with at least one capital letter.
    I went to the Apple store, they said it was legit. I wonder if it has to do with password strength?
    Tom

4. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Same happen to me when I came back from Italy. I signed in from my sisters computer over there and when I came back I had to change my password because it wouldn't let me in with the same message.

5. iHolophyte

iHolophyte Contributor
    Bronze

All password accounts now have to contain one capital letter and one numeral.

iHolophyte

6. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Wrong.
    All is a big word. I can name lots of accounts that don't require a capital and a number.

7. iHolophyte

iHolophyte Contributor
    Bronze

Not Wrong! What you are saying is any account before they made it a security issue will not need capital letter and numeral. Since the update it's now a must. I have several friends who don't have to use capitals or numerals. Maybe when an update happens via iTunes it impacts on this. This then might be people's problems trying to log in. Remember the latest update was fairly recent.

iHolophyte

8. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Are you talking about itune accounts? Or all password accounts? Because you said all password accounts.
    Edit: and if you say well we were talking about iTunes so I figured then I will point out you said "password" accounts. Since all iTunes accounts require a password it would imply you were talking about other accounts.

9. iHolophyte

iHolophyte Contributor
    Bronze

personally I'm talking your account password via your iPhone when you want to purchase an app or complete an update.

iHolophyte

10. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

It's odd that it would effect me..., My Password already met those requirements. I am not sure what my wife's was though.

11. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Do you have kids that might have attempted to sign in? Or did you sign in someone else's phone with your account? Or iTunes.

12. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Did you change your credit card info lately?

13. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

No kids..., But I did get a new Credit Card in December.

14. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Would have made you change it next day I think after the new card

15. iHolophyte

iHolophyte Contributor
    Bronze

This could be the answer :)

iHolophyte

16. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

Well.., Mine and My wife's banks changed. So we were both issued new cards and we both changed our iTunes account information the following day. Just odd it waited 60 days before locking our accounts.

17. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

That wouldn't lock it, it will tell you that something on your account has changed and you need to confirm the changes or edit them before you continue. Has happen to me couple times already.

18. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I agree. Using the account with a new card wouldn't lock it.